Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oopsie913

I promised my husband I wouldn't do pink but.........

oopsie913
14 years ago

Does anyone have a color choice for my dining room? DH is 'allowing' me to have at it in the dining room, and I love the combination of pinks with burgundies, greys and black which are some of the colors that will be in adjoining rooms.

Does anyone have images of a pink dining room or opinions of a *creamy pink* with a 2nd darker shade (or not) to contrast that won't be too overpowering? We have a chair rail in the room and hardwood floors and mahogany furniture. The room gets very low light from the outside. My trim will be white dove most probably so I need ideas for ceiling, walls (2 colors?) AND POSSIBLY A COLOR for the chair rail if not white dove......thanks thanks and more thanks!

Comments (36)

• User
    14 years ago

Not sure how to say this but do you think mahongany furniture will look good with pink? I have never seen this combination and cant quite picture it in my mind. Have you seen this combination before, maybe I am totally off here.

• Oakley
    14 years ago

What about a peach color instead? That would be beautiful with the dark wood.

In my old living room I had "rose" colored walls and it went great with dark wood. Actually, it was the same color as Pepto Bismal! I held it up to the wall and it was an exact match. lol.

Peach and pink IMO are a combination of casual elegance.

• oopsie913
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, I have held up various pinks against the wood and the blend is very pretty. I originally had a very deep red/burgundy in our old dining room but I just dont want to go as deep this time. The pinks I have held up and put as samples on the wall compliment the furniture which is all antique mahogany that we bought years ago. Problem is, I know pinks can overpower or look like a nursery so I am afraid, so far, to just buy a paint..

as far as peach goes, my china has bits of a blue/pink in it, not peach, and I dont think I will like to go with a too yellow-toned pink..... but then, I also dont want to go too blue a pink either ....i dont know, i dont know !!! lol

• holleygarden Zone 8, East Texas
    14 years ago

How about a grey on the walls and a pink on the ceiling? That would still warm up the space, and go well with your pink and burgandy fabrics/accents, etc. and look beautiful with your white dove trim.

• Sueb20
    14 years ago

We have mahogany trim in our living room and for several years, the walls were painted BM Chippendale Rosetone (hm... I think that's it... it's one of the historical colors). I thought the wall color worked great with the mahogany. Sorry I don't have pics -- after about 10 years of that color, we switched to SW Blonde about a year ago.

• sweeby
    14 years ago

I've seen some pink & mahogany combinations that worked well and some that were absolutely dreadful -- more in the dreadful camp, I'm afraid. But it can be done...

What about a very greyed down lilac? Or maybe a hyacinth?

• Kathleen McGuire
    14 years ago

Since peach was mentioned I am going to suggest BM Ansonia Peach. If I am correct, My3dogs has it in her home and it is a beautiful color although I suspect you are looking for something a little more pink, but look at it in the last pic in m3d's thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: BM Ansonia Peach

• oopsie913
    Original Author
    14 years ago

wow, did love that ansonia peach but it is all wrong for my other colors nearby.

Holleygarden, I loved loved loved the idea of pink on ceiling and grey walls, however, I have a lot of grey going already in the other rooms off the dining room. Hallway is going to be a grey shade too, I really like ceilings painted other than a white. I guess pink walls with grey ceiling would look odd lol

• jerseygirl_1
    14 years ago

Pink walls and gray ceiling would not look odd. It may balance out some of the feminity that pink will give you. I would go with a lighter shade of gray for drapes, if your dining room required them.

I have 2 rooms with darker colored ceilings and lighter walls. I'm hooked on colored ceilings.

• nicole__
    14 years ago

I had a neighbor that used a lot of pink in her decorating. When she was done she said it looked like an ice cream parlor. It did. Think this over....

Maybe a pink with a brown tone to it?

• stinky-gardener
    14 years ago

Here's my dining room: Pink walls, chairs, rug, art! Ice cream parlor or/and dreadful, maybe...probably.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• awm03
    14 years ago

One of the prettiest dining rooms I've ever eaten in was done in a soft, pale, warm pink. It didn't look in the least bit feminine or ice cream parlor-esque. It provided a happy, uplifting ambience that took some of the stuffy formality out of my friend's furnishings and room features.

House Beautiful featured pink in their decorators' favorite paint colors series. Link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Decorators' favorite pinks

• peaches12345
    14 years ago

Thanks for that link, awm03. As long as they are not cotton candy pinks there are some lovely shades that should work for OP. I love Fowler Pink, but think it was mentioned in another thread that it is the same as BM Ansonia Peach which evidently will not work for OP. But a rosey medium pink should be lovely with gray.

• rosie
    14 years ago

A sophisticated pink dining room would be one I'd love to be invited to. I'm imagining candle light and good conversation. If your style is traditional, or even if not, how about finding an old vase or bowl with the colors you love and work from that?

• kyjo
    14 years ago

Have you thought of using a pink with more terra cotta tones?
    My sister has Devine Toile in her dining room with mahogany furniture and it is just stunning.
    BM crimson or a Farrow & Ball pink would also be a good choice IMO.

• oopsie913
    Original Author
    14 years ago

awm, i really appreciate your answer on this one the website did helped me. Love and happiness and white dogwood or pale pink satin are 3 i may have to try out. I am looking for a not too pink, pink with a bit of yellow or beige to it, and those are maybe what I want, but peach does not go with my home in anyway, so I need to be careful...a delicate balance between candy store and peachy/ I know I want to stay fairly light in this room in particular I have had 2 very dark dining rooms before this.
    Stinky, yours is very pretty.

Thanks is not enough to have this website and your help. I find I can help others but can't decide my own. ugh!

• stinky-gardener
    14 years ago

Thanks, Oopsie. I think my walls actually look a tad pinker in the photo I posted than IRL. The color is BM's Queen Anne Pink. In House Beautiful's book of color, it is listed under "beiges" rather than "pinks."

I was playing when I said it was "ice cream parlor" & dreadful. Actually, I've gotten loads of compliments on it. It is a glowy, soft color that is very warm & probably as "neutral" as pink can be. Warmth was what I was after when I chose it. It is an unorthodox choice when the rest of the planet seems to be painted some shade of "buff," but when I hold buff swatches up to my walls, those hues actually seem cold & kind of muddy. I think I'd lose the "glow" in the room if I went in a more neutral direction.

Good luck finding your shade!

• stlouie
    14 years ago

Do you ever watch the designer, Sarah Richardson's shows? She did her own living area with some pink accents. She used neutrals on the wall and main pieces of furniture, but used pinks in some of the pillows, etc.

If you wanted to stick with neutral on the walls (cream tones or a hint of gray), you could add pink for other things. Do your dining chairs have upholstered seats? You could add the pink there. You could also do a flower arrangement with some pink in it, as well as in your table settings (cloth napkins, etc.)

The strong color of the mahogany furniture would look beautiful with cream tones on the wall and add pinks and rose tones in your accessories. If you have a window in the room, making the drapery nearly the same color as the cream tone on the wall would make the room feel less "choppy" by providing less contrast. The wood itself would add plenty of contrast against the lighter tones in the room.

• oopsie913
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks, stlouie, are you from st. louis, by the by? I am too.

I see your point about the neutral although this is really the only room that I plan to do color in as the rest of the nearby areas are varying shades of grays including white dove, dove wing, stone harbor and possibly barren plain and intense white (BM) I dont see how any beige would fit into the plan, and I also dont think of the mahogany as a strong color of wood? Maybe my wood is not the same tone that a few posters here have seen?
    IMHO, it seems like a beige would look too neutral with the mahogany. So far, all the samples I have put near the wood looks wonderful and my old house had burgundy walls and the dining set looked very rich with the blue undertoned color on walls, so I am still off on my search for that warm pink. Maybe I am not seeing all this clearly, because you are not the first who has mentioned the mahogany and not going well with pink. Thanks all for the input.

• stlouie
    14 years ago

Really all that matters is what color appeals to you. Variety is the spice of life!

I tend to like things very monochromatic or neutral in tone. When sage green was all the rage, I thought I would like it and painted the living areas. It's still there but I literally hate it. So, since we're doing our master bedroom and bath right now, I've decided to do the walls very light neutral, the drapery light as well, and add color through the accessories (pillows, towels, etc.) That way if I get tired of the comforter or towels that have blue, I can always change to another color and it will still look good with the neutral shade on the wall.

I can walk into someone else's house and totally love the rich dark, or bright colors on the walls, but I tend to get tired/bored of it around me all the time, so it's best for me this way to stick with the neutrals.

I'm definitely not talking "beige". Brown would be horrid!You can find light cream/ivory tones with undertones of pinks, blues, etc.

Whatever you decide, do you have a china cabinet in there? Can you carry a small drawer to the paint store to pick paint colors? Also, purchase a few sample cans of paint and try large swatches on the wall to live with for a few days before committing to a specific color and possibly not liking it. I had a color consultant from the paint store come over and even purchased 7 sample cans before finding the one I wanted!(and it wasn't even a color the consultant suggested). This is why I say do what you like. The consultant suggested much darker colors that I just knew I couldn't live with.

Yes, we live in the St. Louis area.....not loving the cold!

• mary_lu_gw
    14 years ago

As was mentioned by a previous poster, what about a brownish pink? I tried about 9 quarts of different colors on my living room walls. I ended up with a color called Mocha Rose. Depending on the time of day, and light it can look anywhere from rose to lavender to a tanish color. My living room is so hard to photograph as it has so much natural light but I have included a couple of pictures to give you an idea.

This first picture was taken when we were refinishing the floors, that's why there is no furniture.

This one was taken just a few days ago looking in the opposite direction as the first picture.

• oopsie913
    Original Author
    14 years ago

st. louie, what place will come to my house as it seems most places I go (Porter, Reinecke) dont appear to be all that knowledgeable? Porter has a color called Wistful beige which is a pinky beige and I am coming around to your point of view here. I DO love that color "Mocha Rose" which may work with all the grays I will have nearby. I do not know why this is such a problem room for me right now! But it is! thanks again!

• oopsie913
    Original Author
    14 years ago

what brand paint is that mocha rose?

• mary_lu_gw
    14 years ago

I can't remember for sure what brand it is, we have used several different ones. I will go down to the basement tomorrow and check to be sure. I know I have some left. I love the color and have had many compliments on it. But I can sympathize with you. It took me almost 2 months to finally find and then decide this was the color. You wouldn't believe the number of "splotches" I had painted on my walls! I tend to paint a large area on a wall to see how the color reacts to light at different times of the day in the room. Color boards never seem to work for me. Then I just prime the splotches before I paint the walls.

• stinky-gardener
    14 years ago

Mary Lu, I really like your wall color & furnishings. I also like the green you have next to it. I've thought about painting my kitchen green, which is next to my dining room. Do you know what shade you used?

Oopsie, I think you have thought out the paint color issue in regard to the wood tones very well. I agree, in a room full of wood & little upholstery (most dining rooms) beiges & browns make the furniture disappear. Whites are often too stark against dark woods. If you're still on the fence about pink, the other color that I think looks great with wood is green! Don't know how that would look w/your dishes, rugs, etc., but Mary Lu's green is very nice. There's quite a large pool of nice greens out there. Green is not as "controversial" either.

I looked through my files for a more close up pic of dark wood near the paint. Hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• oopsie913
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thank, stinks, LOL I have thought it out, or even over thought it out. Yes I did have designer white by SW years ago and it was way too stark. Warm pink is the way to go for me although since my greys which you can see from other rooms DO have a slight green to it might be a thought. I have an oil over photo of my daughter when she was small that looks wonderful with pinks nearby which will be in the DR.
    Going back to the paint store today and may go pale green with maybe a hint of pink ceiling or just the opposite.
    Question? Should I just ignore that there is a chair rail and just do the white dove trim and stay with the one color on walls since my ceiling might be another color??? or even take that ceiling color for the chair rail trim?
    hmmmm

• stinky-gardener
    14 years ago

I noticed in MaryLu's pic that she carries the rose paint up onto the ceiling. That is a very nice effect that you may want to try. Stick with painting the chair rail white. If you paint the ceiling & above the chair rail the same color, you could do a very soft gray under the rail. I wouldn't do 3 shades for wall & ceiling. Fwiw, that's too choppy for me, but others may tell you otherwise. I'm probably conservative.

• quailfeathers
    14 years ago

I used a BM color called white zinfandel in a hallway with a fair amount of light. It is a very subtle pink.

• greenthumbfish
    14 years ago

mocha rose = Valspar
    white zinfandel = Martin Senour

I vote for very subtle or a neutral with undertones.

• stlouie
    14 years ago

Sorry about that, haven't been around a few days. We got our paint from Porters (PPG Paint). They have a color consultant that if you purchase a $50 gift certicate (to be used for future product), she will come out for free. I will say that it wasn't a whole lot of help for me since she advised darker colors and I really wanted lighter, but she does like color because she did her own living room in hot pink! Give it shot, it may help with at least narrowing down color tones/choices. She has a large book of larger size paint swatches to look at. However, if you don't use their paint in the long run, purchasing the $50 gift certicate to get her to come out isn't really an option. You could use the money for primer as well.

We used the Silken Touch line of their paint and it goes on extremely nice.

• oopsie913
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks st. louie. porter is just a mile away from me with reinecke across the street and I have the porter fan deck too. I will try their silken touch line as I have found a few light pinks (wistful beige,china silk and a few others I really like)

• stlouie
    14 years ago

The sample cans are $4.99 each. I bought 7 of them, which sounds like alot, but I think it's better to do that than spend $30 to $40 for each gallon and not like the color. Get a tinted primer if you go with pink tones.

I've used Sherwin Williams paint before and it seemed very nice as well. Don't know if they have a color you like.

Let us know how it goes.

• jlc712
    14 years ago

My MIL has a pink color throughout their beach house. I *think* it is BM Savannah Clay... I'm not positive that is the correct name. It is a darker tone.

Anyway, it is a really pretty color. It is kind of rose colored, but toned down a little. She has wood floors, white trim and doors, and lots of dark antique furniture. It is especially pretty at night.

• oopsie913
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks again, st. louie. I do have about a zillion paint samples, some from porter and some moore. I will sometimes pay just the 2.98 for valspar samples in the better brand colors to be cheap.The walls are just white now from PO, so I shouldnt need primer, should I? Leaning toward the wistful beige, porter or wheatberry, BM...wish me luck. I'll call you over here when I am done..lol I do like SW but they are further from me. ]

Quailfether? that white zinfandel, just looks completely light. Can you even see the pink in it?

• Aglitter
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I know this is an ancient post, but I want to just jump in for the benefit of any archive researchers and say that as of 2020, Benjamin Moore is still offering the 880 White Zinfandel as part of its Classics Collection. It tends to lean toward mauve, and it's a decidedly dusty pink pastel tone when on the walls.

For someone wanting even a more subtle pink, try Benjamin Moore's White Opulence 879 (also notated as OC-69 in some places). The White Opulence appears white in some lights but gives off a tinge of pink in other lights. I'm considering it for an open-space living area where as the original poster so aptly described, it's hard to come to a decision between male/female perspectives on the color for the living areas.

I'm also struggling to match a fresh pink color with natural cherry wood cabinetry that will be in the area, and the White Opulence is not so pink that it clashes with the cherry wood orange leaning, yet it also accommodates the red decor we have around the corner from the kitchen.