Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
briansmith84

Anyone owned a flokati rug? Hard to clean?

briansmith84
10 years ago

Hi, thinking about getting a flokati rug but my gut tells me it might be a pain to keep clean. Anyone familar with them? They look so comfy! Looking at some on flokatirugexpress.com

Comments (9)

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Yep, had a pink 8x10 Flokati in DD's room. Over time, I pretty much vacuumed its hairs out. However, it was fun while it lasted. If you get a smaller size, you can actually wash it in the bathtub.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

We had a 4x6 in the kids bunkroom at the lake. At that size, it popped in the wash very easily and was also easy to shake out.

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

Yes, they are pretty easy to shake out.

• allison0704
    10 years ago

My grandson has one in his teepee. It's small enough to toss in the washer (once in the last year). Simply vacuum over regularly with floor brush. DD1 worked at a store that sold, and they always washed them, so we knew it was safe.

• klinger
    10 years ago

They're wool and wash really well. I usually hang them to dry, I've vacuumed them with out a powered and shook them out as well. I love mine., it's white, I have dogs and it's easy to keep it clean.

• luckygal
    10 years ago

Be aware the genuine flokati area rugs from Greece come in several weights which impacts on care and wear. Some that are not genuine flokatis have synthetic bases and won't wear the same as the ones with wool bases but do not weigh as much.

I bought a 4'x6' one made in Greece years ago when we lived in Europe and it would not have fit in any washing machine. It was a medium weight one. I washed it by hand in a small plastic kid's swimming pool I bought for the purpose. It was time consuming to wash and rinse thoroughly but was a necessary twice yearly job. I couldn't have vacuumed it as the pile was too long but shook it regularly. It was heavy to shake tho. The kids and dogs loved it and I liked the BoHo look of it.

About the same time-frame I bought 2 3'x5' synthetic flokati look-alikes for our bedroom and they machine washed very well altho didn't last as long as the real flokati.

• Fori
    10 years ago

Get one small enough to wash. And have a vacuum cleaner that can handle deeeeep shag. Then they aren't too bad, unless there are Legos or toy dinosaurs in them, which is the main reason mine is in a closet now.

You could get a cheap inexpensive one from Overstock and see if you like it well enough to get a good one.

• Bonita KingSteinkamp
    2 years ago

I have owned a Flokati rug 7 by 10 for years. Wool base and long shag. I vacumed without using carpet setting (floor setting only and often with just the hand tool) keeping it clean for years.

In Greece cleaning involves soaking Flokati in cold stream pools. This method feeds and revitalizes the wool. I decided last year my rug needed a bath so, before adding weekly chlorine I put my Flokati in my swimming pool with me and gave it a gentle bath (pool water only) I then pulled it out of the pool and draped it over the pool lounge chairs in the sun to drain and dry changing position of the rug several times over several days. The rug looks spotless and free of all dust. Rug must be totally dry before returning it inside to floor. I am fit and workout still the big rug was a big job for me as I am a small woman. A smaller rug would have been easier but I will clean my Flokati the same way years from now when it needs a thorough cleaning again. Could have had it professionally cleaned but very expensive..