Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bbstx

Centerpiece advice - White hybrid LA lilies

bbstx
9 years ago

I posted this in the Entertaining Forum. It languished with no answers. Because this forum has lots more traffic, I thought I'd repost here.

As a gift, I'm sending a centerpiece to a dear friend for a dinner party she is having this weekend. She knows it is coming, so no problem there.

She lives in a different state and I'm unfamiliar with florists in her area. I get a substantial discount on FTD flowers through an organization I am a member of. I've looked through the offerings for something appropriate. There are several I could order but the one I like best is white and gold with seasonal greenery. The big problem is it has lilies in it. They are described as "white hybrid LA lilies."

I dislike centerpieces with strong fragrances. Is anyone familiar with white hybrid LA lilies? From what I've read, they do have a fragrance. I'm just wondering if it is too strong to be used in a centerpiece?

Comments (24)

• alex9179
    9 years ago

Hybrid lilies do not have a fragrance. Oriental lilies do. It will be lovely!

• lilylore
    9 years ago

Well, the first question is, is it you who "dislikes centerpieces with strong fragrances" or the person you are giving it to? Are you trying to rid the world of "centerpieces with strong fragrances"?

If you aren't going to be in attendance at this party and it's a 'gift' or if you said , "my friend dislikes strong fragrances", I would feel different, but is this a case for Miss manners who might feel that you may be trying to impose your tastes on someone else and that is not what gift giving should be about.

I agree that strongly scented flowers can disrupt the balance of a dinner, but they can just as easily enhance it!

I prefer strong scented flowers to be in the living room before the dinner, to enhance the senses before dinner, and would welcome, such a gift. Also, since many folks like to congregate in the kitchen, where foul odors, from onion, garlic, ect will waft, strong scented flowers will mitigate that area, too.

I have always believed that it is the height of bad taste to send flowers that you expect the recipient to use on the table for their dinner party, even though it seems a lot of folks do that. In Europe you bring a bouquet of flowers, the hostess whisks it off, and if it is never seen again -nobody notices. Isn't that what a gift is suppose to be? I always insist that the flowers I give to a hostess are not included with the meal but placed in the kitchen or guest toilet, and then brought out the next day for the family to enjoy. I won't try to impose myself thru flowers on another person's perfectly planned dinner?

But to answer your question: Lilies are some of the most fragrant of flowers. White flowers are more fragrant than color flowers. Expect any white lily, no matter what variety, to have a very strong scent.

This post was edited by Lilylore on Wed, Dec 17, 14 at 13:41

• User
    9 years ago

Wow lilylore! Was that really necessary?

LA have little or no fragrance as alex mentioned. You will be safe with that choice.

• tfitz1006
    9 years ago

Lily: whoa, chill.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, alex, tfitz, and deejaus. I appreciate your knowledgeable responses.

• shanghaimom
    9 years ago

I looked at this because I'm a big white lily fan.

In my experience, the hybrids sometimes described as "Asiatic" have fragrance, but it is light. Kind of like Easter lilies. They have a more uniform, trumpet-like appearance.

The "Orientals" like the Stargazers, have a very strong and heady perfume. They're wider and curl under on the ends. White ones aren't nearly as strongly perfumed as Stargazers, though.

The arrangement you've chosen for a centerpiece for your friend sounds gorgeous and even if it has a light fragrance, I'm sure it will be fine! And how nice that she KNOWS IT IS COMING (did you catch that part, Lily?) and also has the pleasure of anticipation. What a lovely gift for a friend!!

This post was edited by shanghaimom on Tue, Dec 16, 14 at 22:09

• shanghaimom
    9 years ago

double post

This post was edited by shanghaimom on Tue, Dec 16, 14 at 19:55

• bbstx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, shanghaimom. I'm going to roll the dice and send the arrangement containing lilies. Even though some lilies can be quite stinky, I'm hopeful that the ones in the centerpiece I'm sending will be pleasant.

• beesneeds
    9 years ago

Wow, Lily was pretty bold... but I agree to an extent. I wouldn't expect what I like to convey to someone else's table either. Nor what I don't like to convey.

That said, my two bits :)

If your friend knows you want to order up her a centerpiece- why not ask your friend what kind of centerpiece she would like? I mean, just because you like white lilies with gold and greenery best does not mean your friend will feel the same- no matter how well intended your thought is. Or if you know that she will love white lilies with gold and green, don't worry so much about the strength of the scent. She might already be aware of the scent of lilies.

• peegee
    9 years ago

Lilylore, I'm sure you mean well, but when you take bbstx to task: "....you may be trying to impose your tastes on someone else and that is not what gift giving should be about" , you do just that, impose your idea of right and wrong on others when you then say:
    "I have always believed that it is the height of bad taste to send flowers that you expect the recipient to use on the table for their dinner party, .... I always insist that the flowers I give to a hostess are not included with the meal but placed in the kitchen or guest toilet, and then brought out the next day for the familyto enjoy. How dare I try to impose myself thru flowers on another person's perfectly planned dinner? Tacky. Tacky. Tacky."

Maybe it would be nicer to just give a gift and not try to manage what the recipient may or may not want to do.
    IMO bbstx is being a thoughtful gifter and I imagine the white and gold holiday centerpiece with lilies will be spectacular!

• maire_cate
    9 years ago

I wonder what Miss Manners would say about chastising someone when they asked an innocent question.

• jlc712
    9 years ago

Wow. I thought it was the holiday season, not angry diatribe season?

The flowers sound like a very nice gift, which you are putting a lot of thought into. I'm sure your friend will appreciate it, and she can enjoy the flowers wherever she chooses to place them.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I love Miss Manners. She would be horrified.

bbstx, I'm sure your friend will be touched by your thoughtful gift of the floral arrangement. It's not like that happens everyday.

• lazydaisynot
    9 years ago

bbstx, what a lovely and thoughtful gift!

• chickadee2_gw
    9 years ago

I'd tell them not to substitute the hybrid LA lilies with any that have a strong scent due to allergies. I guess I don't trust some florists not to substitute flowers with ones they already have in their coolers.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Scent-free lilies aside, I have to say that the regular ones have a smell I can't abide.

I've noticed in the past couple of years that certain flowers, with or without strong scents, can make my throat close up. Not like, call 911, I'm dying, but a distinctly unpleasant sensation. It started with my beloved daphne in a little glass by my sink. I couldn't have them in the house. It's not all scented flowers, but it's something that I didn't experience until recently.

• lilylore
    9 years ago

Ladies, I have to agree after reading the post a second time that it was quite harsh and I should have watched my words, better. In an effort to be a little assertive I may have come off as a b a bad person. I should have read what I wrote a second time, before posting and toned it down. I see that, now. I don't want to make excused, but we all have a bad day and that was mine. I hope the OP understands.

And I do thank you all for bringing it to my attention.

The LA Lilies are an new bread of lilies. They have a scent, but it is lighter than a Star Gazer. White flowers of any breed will be stronger scented than flowers of the same breed with color petals.

The pollen on lilies is very sticky, it can stain fabric and art. If you remove the anthers when the flower opens, it may cure any allergic reaction and the blooms will last longer.

This post was edited by Lilylore on Wed, Dec 17, 14 at 13:48

• Swentastic Swenson
    9 years ago

Most shops don't make enough money on FTD or telaflora orders to make special requests worth it. Also, 9 times out of 10, you're not getting exactly what you ordered from the picture. You get what's in the cooler.

You'd have better luck calling and speaking with a designer directly - this way you can have exactly what you want, or leave it up to his/her discretion with a few guidelines.

I wish MY friends sent me flowers, stinky or not! :)

EDIT: To clarify, the wire services take such a huge cut of what you pay them for the flowers, that despite the discount you might get from FTD, your best value is working with the shop directly. Tiny ma and pa florists will appreciate it very much.

This post was edited by Swentastic on Wed, Dec 17, 14 at 14:17

• bbstx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My friend loved the centerpiece I sent her. She said the lilies had no noticeable fragrance (and she would have told me if they did). She also sent a photo of her table. The white and gold centerpiece looked great against her dark green tablecloth.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

BBSTX, you are the kind of friend we all want! Merry Christmas!

• daisychain01
    9 years ago

swentastic, that is really great info for the future. I rarely order flowers out of town, but will keep your advice in mind.

bbstx, so glad your friend enjoyed the flowers. Such a thoughtful gift.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all. My friend is easy to be a friend to. She is nearly as dear to me as my sister. I just wish she lived closer.

• Kathie738 P
    9 years ago

My BFF sends me an arrangement every year for Christmas and I always use it for a centerpiece in the dining room..this year FTD offered one made from magnolia leaves I love that it will last all season with little care. Friends like this are a treasure!

• bbstx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Rats! Wish I had seen the centerpiece with magnolia leaves.