Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arlene_2007

chalkboard menu picture

arlene_2007
16 years ago

i saw someone's photo here..and it was a chalkboard she made herself with her menu posted on it.

I loved it and would love to see that photo again for an inspirational picture! thanks.

Comments (14)

• mustangs81
    16 years ago

Arlene, I don't know if it was this one you are referring to but I made it and I post my menus for guests.

• mareda
    16 years ago

Arlene, several of my friends use those when they're entertaining, too. You can find them if you google 'bistro chalkboard'. There are several here:

Here is a link that might be useful: Bistro Chalkboards

• arlene_2007
    Original Author
    16 years ago

YESSSSSSSSSSSS woooooooohooooooooooooooo
    thank you so much Mustangs!!!!
    i really like it :)

and mareda...wonderful link.
    now i need to make more decisions...*grrrroaning*
    hehehe

• mustangs81
    16 years ago

Arlene, I'm very flattered that mine is the one you remembered. To help with your decision--the total cost was under $40.

• robbyrob
    16 years ago

mustangs, that is beautiful. Can you please tell me where you got the decorative pieces that you put on the top and bottom of the chalkboard? Thanks!

• mustangs81
    16 years ago

Thanks Robby. I got both at VanDykes. But there are many online resources just google "wooden onlays" for other designs.

Here is a link that might be useful: VanDykes

• karoloke
    16 years ago

mustangs, I really like it, too. How did you make it?

• mustangs81
    16 years ago

Karol, Thank you for allowing me to share.

It took about 2 hours not counting the drying time between paint coats. Sawing was the hardest because I'm not good with saws. I bought a rectangular piece of wood from Home Depot.
    Cut out a template on a piece of paper with the design I wanted for the top. Then traced it on the board.
    Used a jigsaw to cut the top into the shape I traced on the board.
    Sanded the entire board with attention to the edges.
    Glued the onlay (lion head) at the top.
    Primed the whole board.
    Painted with 3 coats (2 coats were recommended but I wanted a richer color) of black board paint.
    Highlighted the onlay and sides with gold rub on.
    Nailed in two sawtooth picture hangers on the back.
    Screwed on the key holder on the front.

• karoloke
    16 years ago

Wow! You are so creative. I've been looking for a chalkboard that I'd like in my kitchen but haven't found one I like enough to buy yet. You've inspired me, so maybe sometime I'll make my own.

• ilanab
    16 years ago

So beautiful. Unfortunately, mine would have something like pizza, french fries and steamed vegetables!!

• mustangs81
    16 years ago

Karol and Ilanab, Thank you but for real creativity, check out Punamytsike/Lilianne's projects.

• lionstail
    16 years ago

Wow..mustangs..thats amazing. How come you decided to make it rather then just buy it?

• mustangs81
    16 years ago

Lionstail, because I could make it to fit a specific space and because it was inexpensive.

• johnatemp
    16 years ago

Great chalkboard - love the lion's head.

What time are you serving?? Menu sounds wonderful.

Smiles:)