Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cburch_gw

Any suggestions for end tables or occasional tables?

cburch
16 years ago

Here's my much anticipated couch & chair ....

Chair:

Here's my kitchen table. It's not new but it's part of the total design, so you need to see it too

Here's a view from the front door.

So, what suggestions do you have for end tables or something like end tables? There will be a recliner sitting in front of the table eventually, right now thats were my Christmas tree is. I would like a table beside the couch, beside the recliner and then maybe some sort of console table sitting to the right of the chair. I've posted this question before, but without pictures. Now that you see the entire room, what do you think? The only other large piece of furniture in the room is the TV and it's only a TV no center. Also, do you think black wrought iron lamps with some swirl is too much ... I thought it would look nice with the dining room table light. Would you go light wood for the end tables or black? I really don't want to go with the chipendale type finish, something more rustic or "used". I would like something with a little storage in them.

TIA!

Christy

Comments (13)

• lynnski
    16 years ago

I think that the style I linked below would look terrific, and there's a console table available in the same style. IMO, it would work really nicely with the casual/sophisticated look you've got in the new furniture. Nice pieces!

Personally, I'd wait to decide on the iron/swirly lighting until you've got more of the furniture (occasional tables) figured out.

Here is a link that might be useful: like this one?

• cburch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I like those, distressed, but dressy ... does that make sense? Thanks.... booking marking them!

Christy

• mqmoi
    16 years ago

I would definitely go with black. It will look great with your hardwood flooring and gold tones throughout. Plus, it looks like you have a dark kitchen countertop.
    I really like those tables lynnski linked to, but would rather see them paired together in front of the sofa, but you didn't indicate that you wanted a coffee/cocktail table.

Below is a black one with a drawer and a base (display area if you chose to use it that way). I think it could blend in well and seems to scale with your furniture and skirting however, it not interesting in and of itself. It reminds me a furniture family in RH catalog.

Anyway...food for thought and another possible direction.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hanover by Bassett

• wodka
    16 years ago

I love the Overstock table lynnski suggested. In fact, I was also looking for more accent tables for our new home. It seems like I can't have enough of them. I just ordered this one, and it will blend nicely with my Bassett bunching tables that I have in front of our loveseats. They have similar curved legs in distressed black. Thanks, lynnski!

• tinker1121
    16 years ago

Beautiful room and furniture.

May I ask what the tan paint color is?

• cburch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

mqmoi - Yes, our countertop is Verde Butterfly granite - dark blackish/green. And no, we don't want a coffee table. I really like the end table you linked. It reminds me of something I bought for our bonus room at Hobby Lobby, but their stuff seems to be "cheap" in quality and for the bonus room its fine - since I can replace it when it gets too shabby. The thing I did like about the Hobby Lobby end table is it's got some "rubbed/distressed" places so it's not as formal and price was right. And your right, I think black is the right color.

tinker1121 - the wall behind the chair is Porter Paint Greige, the wall beind the sofa is Porter Paint Autumn Olive and the yellow wall is Porter Lion's Mane. the Autumn Olive often picks up the tan from the other walls - the color changes depending on what light is on or what time of day it is. The walls closest to the sliding door is probably the most accurate.

THANKS!
    Christy

• cburch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Okay, I think what I need to do to achieve what I want at a price I can afford is buy unfinished furniture in the style I want and finish it myself. I REALLY like the piece I got at Hobby Lobby, but it doesn't seem like it would withstand our everyday use (not the piece of the furniture, the finish - it's already chipped in some place where there was filler or something) So, I told DH we could look around at some of the unfinished furniture places and find something similar, which I don't have a picture of - but it's square with a small drawer and a cabinet door belwo that. Black iron type of handles. I'm not sure what I'd call the style, I'll keep looking online for something similar. But NOW, my to refinish it, I thought I could stain it, rub the edges and around handles with wax, then paint. The last step would be with steel wool to remove the wax and let the stain show through ..... does that sound right?

THANKS!

• mqmoi
    16 years ago

That sounds about right, but I really don't know as I've never done it. I've thought about it tho, and I've seen some great pics here. I do like your solution. I get a great deal of satisfaction seeing things in my home that I've made. That said, did you look at the other tables on Overstock? Also try the "beside table" or "nightstand" category, then check the dimensions. (I like my end tables to be level with the middle of the sofa arm.) The purchasers' reviews are so helpful. For the price, the rubberwood tables are a great buy. They are solid and sturdy and dark, almost black. A nice, soft finish.

Here is a link that might be useful: 2-drawer

• cburch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks mqmoi - I like that one, and another caught my eye. The Waynesboro. Very nice.

I'm like you, I like to look at something and say I did it. DH and I had to strip about 4 layers of paint off our table when we bought it and then repaint it our color. I love telling people that was our first "married" project. And boy, stripping paint is about as fun as stripping wall paper!

Christy

• smile
    16 years ago

My living room has similar colors as yours -- the sofa's fabric is especially close to yours. I currently have a Southern Living at Home brown/black iron tray table as our side table, and it looks great. It was about $100 and I purchased it from a Southern Living at home consultant. If you are interested, send me an email and I'll try to take some pictures. I'm usually not very good about taking/posting pictures, but I need to take family pics in front of the Christmas tree, so there's a better chance that I'll remember! Mine is sitting next to the sofa, with the "x" section facing you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Linden house tray table from Southern Living.

• cburch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Smile, thanks. I do like that.... is it sturdy? Very unsual piece, not something you'd expect in a living room. I don't think I'd want two of them, but one would be good. And I'd love to see you living room, might give me some more decorating ideas! :-)

Christy

• wodka
    16 years ago

The Overstock table (that lynnski recommended) arrived yesterday and I am very pleased with it. Pretty easy to assemble, well packaged, and looks even better than the picture. I would never guess it was even metal. Very pretty.

• cburch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I think I've found something I like in an unfinished table, but I'm going to look a little more to see if I can find it finished at a good price. This one is $88 and looks to be almost exactly what I want - style wise. I'm still going for black with a distressed look.

I'll post something (hopefully) by the end of next week!!! (I have family coming over Saturday the 22nd, so I really need something by then!!!)

Christy