Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
artydecor

Quick vote needed

artydecor
9 years ago

I wanted to paint this mahogany mirror gold, and gave it two coats of Rub-N-Buff. The tube of Rub-N-Buff I was working with was dried out and grainy, and I wasn't happy with the results. I ordered another tube. It arrived today, and I started to remove the previous gold (with 00 steel wool), so I could start over. Here it is, about half done. My teenage dd opined that it looks like someone started to paint it gold and then gave up, but I kind of like the distressed look and may keep it this way. What do you think? Does this look good, or am I under the influence of R-N-B fumes?

Comments (19)

• vwhippiechick
    9 years ago

I like it. The pic is a little far away to see the actual frame up close but I think the overall look is attractive.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Love your drapes. What goes really well with purple? Orange!

I think it would look great painted a great orange.

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

I like it! I think a solid overall gold might be too "matchy-matchy" with your lamp and picture frames. I'd leave it as is.

• k9arlene
    9 years ago

Like it as is.

• lazydaisynot
    9 years ago

I like it, too.

• renais1
    9 years ago

I think it looks great just as it is.
    Renais

• jmc01
    9 years ago

I think the teenager is very observant.

• artydecor
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dh just arrived home. He is usually resistant to decor changes, but he does like the mirror "antiqued". It's been hanging for a couple of hours and I still like it, too.
    Dd loves making fun of any decorating I do, so I should take her opinions with a grain of salt, but I needed t ocheck with someone else on this one.

• artydecor
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dh just arrived home. He is usually resistant to decor changes, but he does like the mirror "antiqued". It's been hanging for a couple of hours and I still like it, too.
    Dd loves making fun of any decorating I do, so I should take her opinions with a grain of salt, but I needed t ocheck with someone else on this one.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Then that's your answer. If you like it, then that means it's the right choice.

• User
    9 years ago

I love it! It looks perfect just the way it is.

• rpets
    9 years ago

keep it distressed! I agree that it looks good not being so matchy-matchy with picture frames. everything looks lovely :)

• artydecor
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you! It's an old mirror someone left out on the sidewalk. I refinished it and stained it the original mahogany. Since I changed a few things in that room, the mahogany looked too dark and I wanted to soften it. I agree that "halfway painted" is better than all gold in this case.
    I have orange embroidered pillows on the couch, and orange in some of the artwork. Orange does make the plum in the drapes sing.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Not a fan...I'd finish it and then antique it so the shape of the molding shows up better.

• teeda
    9 years ago

I think it looks great just as it is! And I can totally relate to the negative teenage critiques--I'm to the point that if my DD ever liked anything I did I'd really begin to question myself!

• User
    9 years ago

I think in this instance matchy matchy is goody goody :-)

Agree with your DD, it doesn't look antiqued, it looks unfinished.

• dedtired
    9 years ago

No, the rustic look does not go well with the rest of your decor. I'm not so sure all-over gold is the answer either, but I have no suggestions.

• amykath
    9 years ago

Looks nice. Live with it for a while. You can always change it later if you decide too.

• luckyme7
    9 years ago

My vote is for the rustic look. It picks up the shade from your paint color. But your drapes totally steal the thunder! Love them!