Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jterrilynn

More painted fabric! Tufted headboard and ideas/help?

jterrilynn
11 years ago

I posted this headboard before; I got it at a garage/estate sale for $15. My husband hated it. At first I did not like the color but it grew on me. However, there is no way he would have the headboard in that color in the bedroom.

We are going to put the house on the market in a month or so but my bedroom is really a disgrace. It's always the last room to decorate and needs a bit of staging. I am going to spiff it up but not buy anything I don't really need except maybe one decorative item. We are not going to purchase bedroom furniture until we move as we are expecting to downsize and do not know what will fit. So, I have this headboard and already had some textile paint.

This is the first of two coats.

Here is the still wet lower half but finished second coat. I'm really digging it!Although I am not new to fabric paint I have only used it to omit a color in upholstery I did not like. This is the first large thing

This is what I have for the room so far (the curtains are in the cream w/gold details). I really needed new lighting so to man it up a little I'm using the brass wall lights on each side. I'm thinking of putting this clock over the bed. The bedspread is cream. The walls are a pale peachy/ buttery/cream. The sheets are in wheat (see tiny sample below) but look gold. The throw has bits of all the colors I like and include a burnt peach and teal as well as others.

src="http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af170/jterrilynn/bedroomclock_zps762804fc.jpg"; border="0" alt="Photobucket">

So here is where I need help. I need to replace my carpet runner in front of the bed. It's gross. I'm trying to keep it all suitable for a man but I am not sure what I'm looking for. The existing furniture is rather plain in no particular style and a deep dark brown almost black. I really like the colors of the pillows on the bed below and will not have trouble finding them. I am having a hard time finding King shams to add interest and go with the throw that will be near the end of the bed. I cannot figure out the shams and carpet runner. Help will be appreciated.

Comments (24)

• cindyloo123
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I don't have any suggestions for the questions you asked, but I would not put the swing arm lamps on the wall if you are staging for resale. The lights will only represent holes in the wall to potential buyers...unless they love those lights and plan to keep them.

• graywings123
    11 years ago

And technically, if the lamps are screwed into the wall, the buyer could expect that they convey. Real estate agents normally advise to pick up area rugs so buyers can see the floor or at least know you aren't hiding something under there.

• EATREALFOOD
    11 years ago

Oh I like the headboard in black/brown. Your choices sound nice-love the colors in the bed throw-where did you find it ? I would pick one color from the throw for the shams(teal would go great with the headboard). Maybe do the runner in brown to match headboard just to keep it simple. What color are the floors ?
    Also I think the lights are a good idea--everyone loves to read in bed(if they read at all) I always consider additional lighting a plus. I added wiring for a sconce in my bedroom and wish I had done 2 lights like you show in the photo.

• teeda
    11 years ago

What a brilliant idea! I can't tell you how many beautiful custom tufted headboards I've passed by in thrift stores due to horrible chintz or 80s mauve fabrics. Never thought of painting the fabric.

How about these lamps to 'man' up the headboard? I spotted them on Rashon Carraway's blog--he's selling a bunch of his decor items. I think they're masculine but still 'hollywood' enough to go with your headboard. I love the shades. Not a bad price, either. I love your ideas, please post pictures when the room is done!

Here is a link that might be useful: Blog Link

• chucksmom
    11 years ago

I wouldn't attach the lamps to the wall unless you intend to leave them. I know this sounds like a crazy idea, but I'm wondering if you could attach them to the back of the headboard and swing them around so they shine on the front of the bed to read.

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

I love the headboard in the new color! I wouldn't have looked twice at it in the original color, but it looks rich in this new color.

• Olychick
    11 years ago

What about something like this for a runner?

{{gwi:1897041}}

or

{{gwi:1897043}}

both from overstock

• EATREALFOOD
    11 years ago

Those are really nice rugs-I take back my suggestion of brown !!

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all! I'm getting some good inspiration.
    Cindy, graywings, Jay and WAMA, I have already ordered the plug-in wall lamps. I'm thinking yikes because it used to be that only hardwired was meant to stay (unless otherwise stated in the contract), not plug-ins mounted with two screws. I will have to check and see if this has changed. I was planning on only selling the hardwired lighting with the house and patching/painting the two little holes for the mount plates. Either way they are going with me unless buyers want to pay.
    EATREAL, the throw is on the sale page of Pier one. I'm glad you like it too, it's all my favorite colors.
    Olychick, thank you so much for taking the time to post the rugs! I LOVE the first one but wish the navy part were black. Still, you have inspired me. I really needed that.
    Below is a very bad mock up, maybe if I ever get the million things finished around here (mostly on my own) and after the move I will have time to learn something new. As bad as it is it gives an idea of where my head is. The king shams could be switched out for one of the other colors. I really want some cool shams! In my very bad mock up I'm not sure about the clock (ordered on sale a Pier one) in the area above the bed (I have the scale too big though, it's only 24") but if it doesn't work there it can go above a tall dresser off to the side. The clock idea is for my husbands happiness as he loves clocks. The rug I think needs black in it and ???

• Sujafr
    11 years ago

Impressive change to the headboard! Great idea!

Regarding the rug--we had hardwood floors in our house, and the RE agent did not suggest taking them up. She said they added to the decor so much that she'd prefer we leave them down to show because others would also likely have a rug in the same locations, and of course, there were no problems with the flooring under the rug.

I love clocks and think the one you've chosen is great---BUT, for some reason having a big one above the bed just seems out of place there. How about using it somewhere else? Of course, apparently I'm the only one who feels that way...

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sujafr, Thank you! We put the headboad on and it truly looks fantastic. And, yes I wrote about being not sure of having the clock there in my post above. The clock is not exactly to scale in my bad mock-up But, there is only 47 1/2" from the ceiling to the top of the headboard. The clock is 24" round. I do have another place for it if it looks stupid above the bed (I think it might).
    Now after staring at my bad mock-up I'm second guessing too much color saturation in my sham and pillow choices. I still want those colors but I'm thinking maybe softer less vibrant shades in the colors I love. Don't know! I have so much to do to get this house to ready for sale that it is over whelming. Unfortunately I tend to get obsessive when a look is not complete and have a hard time moving on.

• Olychick
    11 years ago

Maybe you could just use shams that match or are close in color to the comforter and put some smaller dec. pillows in front of them in a few of the colors in the throw and rug.

• Sujafr
    11 years ago

I agree with olychick about the shams.

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well that would certainly make things easier...with the shams. With the runner I'm starting to think something with mostly black but it could have some brown or gold or warm creams or wheats. Nothing too extreme though. As usual posting here helps me sort out my head. I have discovered that part of my problem is that down the road I would like a vintage bedroom set. Not retro or anything though. So, when looking at runners I'm having duel decorating ideas screwing with it all. Plus, much of what I buy now will have to be used in the future. I think finding a runner in the color I mentioned will work best as it will leave me with more canvas ART options. Glad I got part of the runner problem fiqured out. Now to find something that would look good now but also look at home with some vintage mixy. I always ask a lot of "things".

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well the mostly black carpet idea of mine looked very UGLY in a mock up.
    Olychick, your carpet looks the best so far of all that I have seen in my price range that go with the things I have. I'm now thinking...so what I don't like the navy in the rug I love everything else. I think I'm going to pull the trigger and buy.

• nosoccermom
    11 years ago

If the floors are in good shape, I wouldn't put down a rug. Also, I'd say no to the clock.

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi nosoccer, I do not love the clock but husband does. It's one of those compromise things I can live with, although it may go in another location.

I must have a runner at the end of the bed.
    My allergies prevent a full carpeted bedroom but I do like a runner there. It just feels better! Plus it prevents some of the clickety clickety click sounds of my furry childrens nails on the floor.

• Olychick
    11 years ago

Hope it works out. I actually think, if the colors in the throw are showing true, that the rug might work great with that bit of blue. Maybe you can pick it up again in throw pillows.

I agree about the clock...the headboard is going to be such a wonderful presence that I wouldn't put a thing above it. If the clock could work well someplace else, try it there.

• graywings123
    11 years ago

Although I am not new to fabric paint I have only used it to omit a color in upholstery I did not like.

Does this mean you can partially paint a piece of upholstered furniture without people noticing a difference in the fabric?

And, have you ever painted an upholstered piece that was polished cotton? Does it matter what the fabric is?

(Sorry for the hijack.)

• chucksmom
    11 years ago

You missed my point about the lamps. Turn the mounting plate inward and attach it to the back of the headboard with the screws (I'm "assuming" here that the hb has a wood backer on it). The arms will then swing over the bed anywhere they reach. No wall damage and no "assumption" that they go with the house!

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Gray, yes, for example I had a set of upholstered armed dining chairs with a print that had some color in it I did not like. So, I just painted over that color. It's monotonous work! However, six armchairs with front and back upper and lower upholstery would have cost me a bundle if I wanted to have them re-done. If you do it right and use good textile paint no one can tell.
    With the Jacquard brand you can use it on natural or synthetics. You are meant to run over it with a warm iron on the reverse side if you are using for clothing for a "set". I never used an iron but never used it on clothing. I think they just have that on the label to cover the Permanent*Washable/Drycleaning*Nonfading/Lightfast claims.
    If omitting a color with textile paint you can't rush it. You need some good quality paint brushes. I prefer oil brushes or a semi medium stiff real bristle brush. The size would depend on your project. A small 2.5 oz container covers a lot of ground as I like to water it down a bit, paint a light layer, dry and another light layer. That whole headboard took slightly over one 2.5 oz bottle, maybe just under a container and a half. You can put as many layers on as you like. By doing it that way it still feels like fabric when done, not painted fabric. You will also need a plate to swish your brush across after loading with paint to get the paint around equally within the brush as well as to remove excess and will also need a rag or paper towel if you need to blot. Or, a stencil if you are adding a pattern! I soft brush it all out when dry but some do it while still wet.

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Jaysmom, Oh I think I know what you mean. I did not get it at first. I should be getting the lights any day and will look into that suggestion. I may have to get back with you on questions. Thank you!

• graywings123
    11 years ago

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions, JTL. I'm going to start another thread so as not to further hijack this one.

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Gray, I don't mind!

I am back to square one on the runner decision picks. I did not order the one above as in the reviews it stated that the areas that looked black in the image were navy blue. I could handle some navy but not that much. Shame because I do like the colors.