Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

"Timeless"

mtnrdredux_gw
9 years ago

This looks pretty timeless to me. See if you can guess the year built from the slide show.

Love it. I think It comes with a fine lifestyle, too. I'd imagine the relatively lackluster kitchen reflects the very low cost of labor and likelihood that milady never sets foot it the kitchen. It'd be nice just to bunk in the tackle shop!

It was featured in the NYTimes today, and as it happens, we will be in Santiago among our many stops on our vacation. It's meant to be, no! A bit pricey .. even with the plum crop. Check out the miniscule property taxes; gotta love those former facsist countries.

Here is a link that might be useful: ahh, nice

Comments (25)

• powermuffin
    9 years ago

Very elegant and yes, I think it is timeless. Love the fireplace in the master bedroom, the library, and the grounds.
    Diane

• Swentastic Swenson
    9 years ago

I have rug envy.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

I will guess between 1995-2000. It is surely listed but I didn't read the date. Interesting!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

Ok, I saw the date now too..

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

While I love the grounds, I'm not overly fond of the home. It looks to be a relatively recent build, similar to some of the lake houses built here in the 80's.

• marcolo
    9 years ago

I've always wanted a private chapel. You can be a complete snake in business while having Misereres sung in the choir for your sins.

It really is an estate with a working farm attached. I like everything but the picture windows. Timelessness requires more muntins.

• porkandham
    9 years ago

I love the little stone chapel!

• amykath
    9 years ago

I lived in Chile for 6 months. It was during college. The house I lived in looked so much like this one but on a smaller scale. She had so many gorgeous rugs and art. I loved that house and the country was breathtaking!

Thanks for sharing!!

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

I saw the date right off, but have to say it does look fairly new in some respects but 'old', or at least older, in some others. I love the grounds, the woodwork and the rugs.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah, its funny no one here would build a new faux old without muntins.

I forgot to mention the chapel. Who builds a chapel on the grounds anymore!

Aktillery, how cool! An exchange student?

• User
    9 years ago

I saw the 1980 kitchen and knew they had put granite on "old" cabinets. It doesn't match the rest of the house. It's a kitchen because the house had to have a kitchen included. No one goes there.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Marcolo, that was exactly my thought. I didn't like the picture windows but the large window with muntins towards the beginning of the slide show was gorgeous

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

The bath pictured is modest also. From what I've seen of international architecture (in magazines and TV), the kitchens and baths tend to be more modest than the American versions, no matter who is in the kitchen. (And I assume everyone uses a bathroom occasionally, no matter how wealthy). I probably meet a particular subset of Central or South Americans, but the all say that, despite the fact that they would be able to afford to have staff to do everything for them in their former countries, they would much rather live here and have to do it themselves.

• Gooster
    9 years ago

I did see the date as well but I thought the front exterior looked like late 80s early 90s. (The stables looked like they could be of any age) The interior, however, except for the kitchen, was tough to pinpoint. The furnishings really did give a timeless, lived-in quality.

• User
    9 years ago

I haven't seen the date but I would def put it no earlier than the late seventies or early eighties. Lots of houses in our state of similar size and finish, although usually the stables are not brick. Like the inside much better than the outside.

I LOVE the chapel and would love to have one of my very own. Think how convenient it would be for children getting married :-)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

(And I assume everyone uses a bathroom occasionally, no matter how wealthy). - Pal

Indeed, and as we saw a few weeks ago, sometimes enshrined in glass with the city at their feet.

KSWL,
    Uhoh. We know you have the room for it. Now THAT's a project! I don't think we have to worry about Bridezilla, maybe Mother of the Bride-zilla? Do not make the bride wear red and green, okay? But I think that the runner for the aisle in a nice persian would be a special touch, and then you can gift it to the newlyweds!

• User
    9 years ago

Love the idea of a runner!

Momzilla......that would not be me, but my mother. I'm an innocent bystander, lol. DD had dinner with my mom and friends this week and she is already utterly freaked out about all the stuff that needs doing. She doesn't know yet about the rafts of relatives she doesn't even know who are no doubt already expecting to be invited. I said as delicately as possible, "Honey, surely you must have wondered why Dad and I eloped....?" She hasn't figured it out yet .... We're holding off on the check and ladder offer until she realizes just what a BFD she's in for.

• homedecorhelp
    9 years ago

Such a nice one. It seems to be classic .It gives a look of Victorian mansions.It is only in those that they keep all the detailing in view unlike the modern houses . Contemporaries do not focus on such details.

• amykath
    9 years ago

Mtn, no just studied abroad (no exchange) lol. Don't think my parents would have wanted another kid in their house. They were probably happy to be rid of me when I left for college. Little did they know I would come back and live with them for a couple more years.

• marcolo
    9 years ago

I refer your daughter to the Ettiquete forum at The Knot. Someone mentioned this site to me when I was complaining about the decline of manners in a, um, certain generation. It seems the ladies there enforce mostly good wedding etiquette (e.g., as opposed to the new trend of having guests pay for their own meals) but have the mouths of sailors. Enlightening and hilarious. For those that survive the gantlet.

• awm03
    9 years ago

I'd guessed the approximate date based on these two rooms, but didn't think it was as late in the decade. It's refreshing to see these styles again. I can see why they were popular in their day. That beautiful, homey kitchen could set off a trend for arched cabinets again.

The kitchen caption says granite counters, but it looks like Corian to me.

• User
    9 years ago

I'll tell her about it, Marcolo :-) I told them the only veto I want as MOB is no feeding each other cake, please, and no misogynistic fake garter removal. This is going to be a long year.

• lilylore
    9 years ago

awm03, the drive way was my tip off, but those two rooms cinched it for me, too. But I can't say that it's refreshing, for me, to see these styles again. The french country cupboards in white with the heavy crocks and kripkrap piled on top and terracotta tiles, doesn't say classic to me either, And I hope I never live to see the return of the tea stained brown chintz, brown calico wallpaper with boarder paper and faux mosquito net and cornice bedroom. The whole room is sad to me. The nouveau riche were trying so hard in the 1980s to create an "old money" look, that they completely ignored the things that make an old estate charming in favor of pastiche and cliche and antiquing. If Oscar Wilde had died in this room, I'm sure his last words would have then been "This rug is killing me."

This post was edited by Lilylore on Fri, Dec 12, 14 at 15:12

• cawaps
    9 years ago

I was pretty much spot on in estimating the age of the kitchen, but the rest of the house had me confused. The exterior at first glance struck me as a relatively recent attempt at a period look--my first guess was 2003. The interior detail, however, would be unusual (to say the least) in a 2003 home (not that it isn't in a 1988 home, but...).

But the kitchen is most definitely not timeless.