Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Indoor-Outdoor Fabric for Kitchen Valance?

Posted by gardenpea (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 4, 12 at 16:07

I finally found a fabric I like to make a valance for my kitchen sink window and carport door half window. The only problem is that it is indoor-outdoor fabric. Will that work? Will it look too stiff and flat? I'm planning on using a 2-inch rod pocket. If I could use it, do I need to line it with drapery lining? Here are the links to the fabric and pattern I am considering, both of which go off sale tomorrow at the nearest Hancock's about an hour away, so it's now or never on this choice. They also have a stripe that might coordinate, but I need to look at it again in better lighting. Should I just keep looking? I'm having the new in-laws-to-be here in January and wanted to finish the kitchen by then; so I don't really have time to order swatches. If you have any suggestions of where to find similar fabric that is not indoor-outdoor, please let me know that as well.
Thanks, this has driven me crazy for over a year.

http://www.hancockfabrics.com/Geneva-Lemon-Lime-Outdoor-Fabric-Outdoor---More-Fabric-_stcVVproductId151094085VVcatId539426VVviewprod.htm

http://www.hancockfabrics.com/Saladino-Olive-Stripe-Outdoor-Fabric-Outdoor-Fabric_stcVVproductId151094084VVcatId84256VVviewprod.htm

http://butterick.mccall.com/b5582-products-13471.php?page_id=387

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Indoor-Outdoor Fabric for Kitchen Valance?

I don't think you'll have a problem with any of those valance styles and the indoor/outdoor fabric. I've used i/o fabric for a few different home sewing projects and a hired out slipcover - all worked well. The fabric does have a different feel and drape but your project won't be impacted by either. If you love it - buy it.

o
RE: Indoor-Outdoor Fabric for Kitchen Valance?

All the valances in the pattern are flat so the stiffness in the I/O fabric will actually work in your favor to hold the shape of the valance.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here