Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juddgirl2

Hutch finally refinished! Pics and a few questions

juddgirl2
13 years ago

After several hits and misses I'm done refinishing my CL hutch. This process has taken me so much time and effort so please, please don't tell me if you hate it or if it looks terrible in the foyer! It's so tall that this is the only possible room where I can use it.

The hutch is an an antique replica supposedly from Pierre Deux and it has great bones - solid wood and dovetailed drawers. Unfortunately, it also had about 40 years worth of furniture wax on it that took several weekends with wax remover, acetone, and a toothbrush to completely remove.

My first intention was to get rid of the very yellow-orange pine and use a multilayered stain/colorwash technique to replicate the RH St. James furniture. This didn't work out so well and I ended up using an espresso glaze over a solid coat of BM Baby Turtle.

I ended up loving the final result. It's cottage style but my house is a mix of rustic and cottage so it should work. I think it lends a touch of color to the foyer but still keeps the overall monotone, subdued look.

Below are the before, during and after pictures and a brief description of the process. Sorry for all the pics - just thought some might be interested in the during pics in case it's a look they might like them instead of the final result.

Now I have a few questions about decorating in and around the hutch and would appreciate any advice all of you decorating experts may have. Please!

1) I replaced the large, dented brass knobs with smaller Baldwin knobs in ORB. Just realized they're lacquered and are more matte black where all other knobs in our house are distressed ORB w/living finish. Should I change these out to match other knobs' finish?

2) Do you like the knobs with or without a backplate? I only have one backplate right now but can get more samples if it helps to compare.

3) I definitely want to display my ironstone collection. I have many other pitchers but so far I've only displayed 5 on the top shelf. Should I add more, less? I have a large rectangular ironstone platter I could use centered on the top shelf.

4) Any ideas for decorating the smaller shelves and top of the cupboard w/out cluttering them? I just put a few items from other parts of the house there for now, but I was thinking of using a bowl or basket for keys, etc. and perhaps a row of crystal votives on one of the shelves. I also have some glass fishing balls I could display.

5) Should the hutch be centered on the wall or moved to the left or the right? I have a parsons chair that I'd like to slipcover in linen and use on either side of the hutch if there's room.

Before - CL picture

After hours and hours of cleaning and bleaching. Was so tired of refinishing that I tried using just one coat of Light Brown Briwax but it brought back the yellow so I scrapped that idea.

After a water-based grey stain:

Second coat of ivory glaze and 3rd coat of brown glaze on the crown - the crown detail looked okay but the rest of the hutch was too blotchy. I just don't have the talent.

After 2 coats of sprayed BM Baby Turtle, General Finishes Van Dyke Brown Glaze, and 2 coats of sprayed polyacrylic.

ORB knob w/out backplate

ORB knob w/backplate

Comments (81)

• dianalo
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Ok... a few more thoughts...

1. The mirror needs to be installed higher over your table and/or be a larger mirror.

2. Try oval knobs to be even less "country". They also would be spaced better from each other and just give a better line to the piece (placed up and down, of course).

3. I'd avoid bin pulls as they have been everywhere the last few years, so there will be a backlash soon.

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    13 years ago

....but I was thinking of using a tall narrow rustic metal mirror over it and perhaps some large baskets underneath so as to balance out the room.
    I bet that would balance the hutch nicely!
    FYI, here is a quick image search of the type of leaner I was thinking. You would still need other pieces to fill in the space though.

• anrol
    13 years ago

WOW!!! What a transformation! Just lovely!

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks so much. I really appreciate the positive feedback - and really needed it for this project!

dianalo - thanks for the great suggestions. I definitely want to use a large mirror somewhere in this room and I have some oval ORB knobs on other cabinets that I can try out. Not sure if I could get a matching backplate though, and I'm sold on those.

I do see bin pulls quite a bit lately but I have an antique German hutch that has the original bin pulls so I hope it won't look dated or trendy if I decide to use them. Allison's definitely look original but hers are more subtle w/the dark hutch. DH isn't thrilled about drilling holes and leaving one uncovered though, so we'll see.

deedee - that's a great floor mirror and exactly what I had in mind if I used one in the foyer. It's too big to use next to the hutch, though, right? I'm not sure about taking my Irish pine baking table out of the foyer b/c I don't know where else I could use it. That was another CL refinishing project!

However, the ideas of using a parsons chair and small table or a leaning mirror in that space instead is very appealing!

I just came across the foyer inspiration picture I had used when adding on the foyer. The scale and style is very different, but there's definitely the hutch, wood floors, and the transom doors. I remember searching for a grandfather clock when we were building but ended up finding the table instead.

• allison0704
    13 years ago

Thank you! Here are a few more pictures. Mostly dishes, but a few other pieces thrown in - might give you a few ideas. Some dishes don't scream "dishes" or "kitchen," such as majolica and pottery.

Bin pulls have been around for hundreds of years. They aren't going anywhere and are still appropriate for some kitchens without looking dated.

Didn't realize your other hallway piece had wooden knobs. Scratch that then! My black hutch has a mix of pulls/bin and on the pine hutch I used only round pulls. I think your piece looks great as is, but would add the backplates.

Here is a link that might be useful: more hutch photos

• maddielee
    13 years ago

Outstanding job!

ML

• tuesday_2008
    13 years ago

I love the finished product! Hard to imagine an old favorite like Baby Turtle and some glaze turning out so nice.

You have given me an inspiration! I will be doing a bath renovation in the spring and have a primitive style pie-safe type cabinet in there for storage - stained pine with heart cut-outs and chicken wire. And ivy painted on the doors. I know - it has had it's day. I am been looking at ways to slightly de-countryfy this; of course, I will cut the hearts into squares and do some fabric or new chicken wire. Just happen to have some Baby Turtle paint! And will get some glaze.

You have gotten some good advice on pulls and accessorizing (which I am so not good at), but I like the idea of a few heavier, dark pieces on there like the one Allison posted.

Tuesday

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    13 years ago

juddgirl, I think the Irish pine baking table looks wonderful in your foyer and believer a very large (maybe 48' wide by 52" tall) mirror hung with the top of the mirror about the same heigth as the top of gorgeous hutch you refinished will balance everything very nicely. The parsons chair looks beautiful in the space - could it be placed next to the table? Then perhaps two lamps on each end of the table and your white platter in the middle. If the chair won't fit by the table, I would just leave it beside the hutch, because it adds just the right bit of color IMO. Just some of my thoughts.

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    13 years ago

You could use the leaner next to the hutch, but what would it reflect? Somebody might have mentioned a wrought iron or wood coat rack, which would go in there nicely too.

How you use the space is the question. Do you put on shoes there, use the area as an extra serving area when entertaining, sort the mail, primp your hair before leaving the house? Find the purpose and then decorate so the space is used (and loved!) for that purpose.

• chicagoans
    13 years ago

That turned out beautifully! You should be very proud of your hard work. It looks wonderful in your foyer, although I admit I was paying more attention to your gorgeous front doors and floor. That is a lovely space.

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

maddie and susan - thanks so much!

allison - thanks for the link. I can also use the pictures to come up with better ideas for the displays in my kitchen and dining hutches. I love the use of hooks under shelves to hang teacups and did that in my kitchen hutch.

walnut - I really needed a suggestion for the mirror measurements so thanks so much. The chair can't be used next to the table b/c it takes up most of the wall space there but I might try it angled b/t the sidelight and the hutch though, similar to my inspiration pic. I'll soon be asking for suggestions on slipcover material!

tuesday - when you mentioned the heart cutouts on your cabinet the first thing I thought was to change the shape to diamonds. I have diamond-shaped raised details my antique German hutch and like that they're different. Squares should have the same effect. We used Baby Turtle matte because I was told it works better with the glaze but finished up with a satin poly top coat.

deedee - the mirror would be functional only and used to check myself out before leaving to make sure there are no embarassing mishaps :-D However, it would only reflect a short hallway that has 3 doorways so not much aesthetic value there. Also, since DD and her friends need to be constantly admonished not to run like crazy animals through the house it's probably a safer decision to use a mirror over the table (which would reflect my hutch!).

I'd like either the table or hutch to be used as a place to drop off keys, glasses, cell phones, etc., and perhaps use one of the hutch drawers or upper cabinets as a charging station. Also, DH uses our kitchen table to store his daily mess of work papers so I'd like to create an area for that and reclaim my table for eating. Large baskets under the table can be used for backpacks, umbrellas, and rain boots.

I tried the 1.5" knobs and backplates but they're just too big for the narrow door frames, so I'll use the 1.25" knobs. Need to call DH to p/u the backplates and sample bin pulls. I'm home recovering from surgery so I have lots of time to thing about these things - he's just stuck doing the running around :-)

Thanks again!

• ttodd
    13 years ago

It looks fantastic! I'm so glad that you chose to go w/ a less dramatic color!

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, chicagoan and ttodd!

ttodd - I had your advice to keep the space more monotone in mind when choosing the solid color. Thought about Camelback but it doesn't seem that much darker than Believable Buff in some of my well-lit rooms. I wanted som contrast with the walls and also a touch of color.

I first tried SW Harmonic Tan but that was much too gold. DH liked the slightly greenish tone of the hutch I previously had in the foyer so Baby Turtle seemed perfect. It looks much lighter and less green on the hutch than it does in my lower light laundry and powder rooms.

• mzdee
    13 years ago

That is absolutely stunning. You must have an immense amount of patience. I can't get over the transformation.

• lisa_mocha
    13 years ago

WOW! It's beautiful!!
    You did an amazing job...I just love it!! (Love your entryway too:))

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you, mzdee and lisa!

• nik211
    13 years ago

that is AMAZING! i love seeing transformations like this! you did an excellents job and i love it!

i don't think you can wrong with either knobs. that is inspiring!

• kjmama
    13 years ago

I am in awe of your fierce determination! It turned out wonderfully!

I do have a question, how are you liking your floors? We are one month into our wide plank white pine floors, water lox finish. I am surprised how fast the denting is occurring, like several daily. I'm wondering what we will have a year from now. Did your water lox get any finish scratches? We had 2. I think it was really six weeks before it hardened fully.

Anyhow. Awesome job!

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you, nnik211 and kjmama! I still need to get the backplates and decide on the knobs vs pulls for the drawers but I picked up a few things to use on the shelves and am excited to to try them out.

kjmama - you have to be at peace with the dents :-D You probably can't tell in the pictures, but the floors in my foyer have several dents from my heels and dropped objects. In fact, I dropped 2 of the heavy Baldwin knobs when switching them out on the hutch and they made slight crescent shaped dents in the floor. My heart skipped a bit at first but then I just told myself they added more character to the floor!

I haven't tried it yet but you might be able to apply a small amount of the tung oil to rub out the scratches. Others on the board with the Waterlox finish may have experience with this.

• bellaflora
    13 years ago

That looks amazing juddgirl!! I like the contrast of the light color with your dark floor.

1Vote for w/ backplate.

• homersmom
    13 years ago

You did an outstanding job on that piece. It's fabulous!

• jejvtr
    13 years ago

Judd

Thanks for sharing - that is one professional looking transformation. I think you have found a hidden talent/vocation in that piece. In other words keep going! Great eye (ability to "see" what the potential of the piece had), attention to all detail, sweat equity - Now enjoy!

I don't think chairs work near the hutch the ones pictured are to squatty in scale.

I like the idea of a large mirror over the piece on the other side of foyer area - it will give balance. I'm not really a match person, but wondered if you considered giving that piece the same/similar treatment?

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, homersmom!

Bella - hello! So nice to see your name. I haven't seen you post lately and was wondering where you were. I've been on and off the boards for the last several months so maybe I missed your posts. Thanks so much for all your helpful advice in finishing the hutch!

jejvtr - thanks so much. I enjoy transforming my CL finds and I'm glad this one turned out well. I actually found a great beveled mirror on CL yesterday that I'm going to use over the table. It's solid wood in an espresso finish with great molding at the top - and it was only $30! DH can't believe it but I'm not going to do a thing to it :-D

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

jejvtr - I forgot to mention that I agree with you about the chairs. They seem very small in scale next to the hutch.

Also, I was considering painting the base of the Irish pine table to complement the hutch but I'm reluctant because it's a true antique. I might consider painting the base after giving it a good coat of protective finish but I don't know what color I'd use.

• gsciencechick
    13 years ago

Your hutch is STUNNING!! I like the backplates on the knobs.

• User
    13 years ago

I don't know how I missed this thread. It looks wonderful! When I read Baby Turtle with glaze I didn't picture it looking good for some reason and after seeing it, I don't think it would look as awesome in a different color.

I like the knobs with the backplates but also like the idea of chunkier ones.

I like something to the left of it but do think the chairs might be a little small in scale.

Love your foyer doors. :)

• teacats
    13 years ago

Just popping in to bump this post back up to the top -- so that EVDRYST with the "Large Foyer" question might see this wonderful example of a gorgeous foyer!

BUMP

• catkin
    13 years ago

Job well done! I commend you on all that hard work!
    Thanks for sharing :~)

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, gccience, shee and catkin! The backplates are now installed and they do make the existing knobs look more substantial.

teacats - thank you! I agree that evdryst's foyer would look great with a hutch on the blank wall.

• teacats
    13 years ago

Backplates now on!!! :)

Begging for an updated photo please! :)

((((picture a foot tapping on the ground ...... JUST teasing!!! LOL!! :) )))))

• B H
    13 years ago

Beautiful! What a wonderful job you did. And I love your front doors, too!

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you, binsd!

teacats - I get home late during the week so it's dark and hard to get a good picture but I'll post updated pics if I can get some in the morning before work. I need to post some pics of it with the glass votives I picked up from Anthropologie and a RH basket to see what everyone thinks about using them on the shelves.

• kswl2
    13 years ago

Wonderful job on this piece, which looks more Dutch than French, it is very nice. You've had more than enough opinion and suggestion, but I thought I would weigh in with another vote to keep all creamware in the display shelves. All white/ creamware plates, teapots, chargers, trays, etc. would make a far greater graphic impact without the busy-ness and distraction of colored objet d'art.

• lorriekay
    13 years ago

Perfect in every way

I just refinished a dining table so I feel your pain although *parts* of it I enjoyed

I like the the knobs with the back plates

• nicole__
    13 years ago

WOW! WOW! WOW! nuff said! and I do like the chair with the white seat next to it....but I'm sure there are other objects of interest that would look "right" there. A pedetal with a fern.....maybe?

• newdawn1895
    13 years ago

Your hutch looks fabulous there. I have noticed at my favorite antique shop that when they shabby chic things they use that gray color as well.

I've said it before and I'll say it again "I love your sprawling ranch".

• hoosiergirl
    13 years ago

That is an amazing transformation! GREAT JOB, Juddgirl2!

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks so much, everyone! I really like the suggestions of using all ironstone/creamware on the shelves and something like a pedestal near the hutch.

I wanted to get pics of the Anthropologie glass votives b/c I think they work well with the ironstone but I didn't have time this morning. I'll have to get my camera out this weekend when I have daylight

newdawn - thank you - I'm just starting to love my ranch style home now that we're not working on it every weekend!

lorrikay - I'd love to see pictures of your table. I really enjoy looking at before and afters!

• amykath
    12 years ago

Juddgirl... I am so impressed I cannot even begin to tell you! You are amazing! You did the best job. What patience you must have. I absolutely love what you did with that hutch. All I can say is WOW!!!!

• oceanna
    12 years ago

Wow, you did a TON of hard work, bless your heart. I think you did a fabulous job and it looks great there. I know how it is when what we're trying isn't working out, but you kept going until you whipped that puppy. You should be very proud of yourself! It's scrumptious.

• loolee
    12 years ago

Amazing job. Second the posters that say to do more ironstone and really pack it in. Take your time and collect items you like and will use. We often get too caught up in having things look "right," right away.Personally, I want to get to the point of being more authentic and to me that means more items that get used and less that are just for looks. Your piece is fabulous. Have patience about filling it up. Also vote for back plates on the knobs.

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, aktillery, oceanna, and loolee! I just posted on the other painted furniture thread that I still love walking into my foyer and seeing this hutch everyday :)

It's also a great place for storage - I keep my larger serving platters and cake stands in the base cabinets, music CD's in the drawers and candles in the upper cabinets.

I tried many pieces of ironstone pieces on the top shelf but ended up editing it down to just a few. It seemed a bit top heavy and I don't have enough pieces yet to fill the bottom shelves. I ended up displaying some vintage glass fishing balls, candles, and some mason jars with collected shells on the shelves.

Perhaps I'll add to my ironstone collection (someday!) and replace these.

Current display:

More ironstone:

• pps7
    12 years ago

juddgirl, I love your house. Instead of trying to figure out how to decorate mine, I'm just going to move into yours!

• shay13
    12 years ago

Jddgirl2,

Absolutely love the hutch! Would you mind giving me some hints on refinishing a oak chest? You mentioned in your post that your first intention was to get rid of the "very yellow-orange pine color" and you also mentioned stripping and bleaching. I see how different the piece looks just by stripping. Can you tell me what products you used and describe how you accomplished it? I have stripped the finish off the oak chest, but was looking for a product/method to get rid of the "yellowish" color left behind I guess from just the aging of the wood. I really appreciate any help you could provide.

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

pps - I've seen pics of your beautiful house and would trade in a heartbeat. Too many unfinished projects in mine anyway :-D

shay - I painfully scrubbed this hutch with a toothbrush and wax remover (and even acetone) several times to get rid of the wax finish. That toned it down a bit but I then bleached the wood because I initially wanted the grain to show through the glazing. If I had known I'd end up using a solid paint then I would have still needed to go through the wax removing process but wouldn't have bleached the wood.

I've used a commercial wood bleach (a powder you mix with water) on a pine piece before and that worked well but the hardware store was out of stock. I ended up using a homemade liquid drain cleaner solution found here: Homemade bleaching/aging solution

Be sure to test a small area before you do this and wear a protective mask, gloves, etc. Also, allow plenty of drying time between removing wax/bleaching and applying a new finish.

• desertsteph
    12 years ago

I hate to bring this up but...

It's absolutely gorgeous! what a great job you did on it!
    and I think it looks beautiful right where you have it.

I'm not much on decorating things like that - but it looks like you have a few posts of help here.

be sure to repost it when you get it all decorated up.

• shay13
    12 years ago

Thanks juddgirl2 for the bleaching information. I'll try that on my furniture. I want the grain to show as well, just hate that "yellow-orange" color!

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks desertsteph - you had me worried there for a minute with your first sentence :-D

Shay - can't wait to see your before and afters!

• tinker_2006
    11 years ago

OH MY GOODNESS.. stunning! I remember seeing this when you first posted, but I was neck deep in home restoration, I didn't have time to think of furniture! This is sooooo beautiful!

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, tinker :)

I also love having all the great storage the base offers - just spent the morning putting back all my platters and drink dispensers that we used during a party last weekend. I keep my candles in the upper closed cabinets.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!