Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Warning-Costco dog bed

Posted by suzannesl (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 3, 12 at 15:57

x-post to Kitchen:

I recently bought this dog bed from Costco:

Photobucket

That cat is so bossy! This bed has shredded memory foam in it. DH picked up the bed to vacuum under it this morning and discovered the new bamboo floor is wet underneath. After some investigation, we think the wet is from Katie just sleeping on the bed - not from urine or slobber. Maybe the memory foam makes her really hot too?

Photobucket

We're hoping it will dry out and be OK, but what a surprise discovery. So fair warning, if you bought one of these, pick it up and look underneath. We've had the other Costco dog beds for years with cedar shavings (?) inside in the same location with no problem.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Warning-Costco dog bed

Have you checked the foam to make sure it's not wet? If you're sure it's not urine, I'd be suspicious that the bed got wet during storage at Costco. If you think the moisture is within the foam, then take it back to Costco for an exchange.
Since you said the flooring is new, is it possible there's condensation happening from the floor being covered? Have you check under the rug to make sure it's dry underneath?
One of your pets sleeping on the bed wouldn't be causing this to happen....there's moisture somewhere.

o

Good idea. I just sent DH out to check the foam, and he says...(waiting)...his arm feels oily after sticking it into the bag. What's in memory foam? Could there be a residue that warms with the dog's body heat and gets pressed onto the floor?

o

OMG, that's the exact same bed we recently bought our dobie, Ronin, from Costco! No problems like that, though. Are you sure that it's not urine? That's terrible about your new floor. Let us know what what your follow up is with the bed, will you?
BTW, our "bossy" little 11-pound Tibetan Spaniel tried to take over Ronin's bed, too (LOL)!
Lynn
Photobucket

o

Suzanne: Can I ask an OT question? Where did you get your rug, and do you know the name? Thanks.

o

Sure, joyce. The rug was another Costco purchase last November when they were on sale online. I don't see it in their current offerings, but they have lots of others. I really love this rug, but it did shed like mad for months. I didn't know wool rugs did that, having never had one. I kept having to empty the vacuum canister mid-job!

lynn - I assume dog urine smells like urine and the bed doesn't. Also the grain on the floor isn't raised despite the wet, which kind of raises the possibility of it being a petroleum wet vs. a water wet. We'll keep investigating. I will let you know what we find out, but I have to warn you there's a complication. My daughter is expecting our granddaughter any time. Her due date is the 9th, so I bought a plane ticket for the 5th two months ago. Her first baby was 5 days late, so I felt pretty safe going for 4 days early. Maybe not. She's been having cramps that she doesn't interpret as contractions (but I'll bet they're related) and all the usual creaks and groans that precede actual labor. If she lived closer, I'd get in the car and go, but they moved up to the SF Bay area and it takes 9 hours to get there from here at the other end of the state. I have my fingers crossed that she holds out until Wed. so I can be there for Big Brother.

o

I don't think it's urine and here's why. I've had different dog beds, and the last big ones had a cloth shell with the top of sherpa, stuffed with shredded foam of some sort inside a cloth bag. Believe it or not, in the winter (really the only time the dogs used them alot), when I would lift the beds to move them or to wash them, sometimes I'd find dampness under them and even a thin layer of frost on the wooden floor where the beds had laid. Yes, my floors get cold in winter. Anyway, I think it came from the warmth of the dogs' bodies and the moisture the heat created not being wicked away. Does that make sense? I know there was no urine stains or smell at all on the beds.

o

I wonder if the dog is breathing directly into the foam and the moisture is just not evaporating? The cat obviously is keeping her nose in the air!

o

The cat sleeping in the bed with the dog sleeping several feet away is pretty cute lol.

o

"The cat sleeping in the bed with the dog sleeping several feet away is pretty cute lol."

That gave me a good laugh. Both their expressions are perfect. Your doggie looks like he's given up on trying to use the bed. That photo would make a good ad!

I'd put some plastic under it. Maybe with a towel on it.

o

Here's a link about dampness and memory foam. The other thing is that cats supposedly sweat through their paws, but I wonder how much dampness that could cause.

I'm assuming there's no cooling gel inside, is there? We had a Costco desk gel pad that sprang a leak and destroyed the wood chair.

Here is a link that might be useful: memory foam

o

I don't think it's urine because the area on the floor is so big. If it was, it would be wet inside the bed. Plus, dogs sweat by panting.

Humidity could have been trapped between the bed and floor. What I'd do is put down a small area rug, then a layer of plastic (you don't want plastic on the floor), then put the bed on top.

Cute pets!

o

I have a memory foam bath rug and have noticed the underneath gets very wet while the top seems dry. I haven't had it that long but think I'm going back to tuft type of bath mats. Major mold/bacteria breeding ground.

o

when I would lift the beds to move them or to wash them, sometimes I'd find dampness under them and even a thin layer of frost on the wooden floor where the beds had laid

Your house doesn't have a proper moisture barrier under the flooring, and the bed is trapping the moisture as it makes its way up through the floor.

Try this: Tape a 12x12 inch piece of plastic wrap on a bare bit of floor, under a couch or somewhere, and check it a week later. If you have moisture there, you have a slab or crawlspace problem.

o

I'm also thinking that you have moisture seeping and being trapped by the bed. I think the bed is probably not the problem -- just revealing the problem. The link above has no relevance to pet beds since dogs and cats do not perspire -- they both cool by panting.

o

How weird!!!

If it were urine, you'd be able to smell it. I agree with lascatx about dogs/cats not perspiring, so I don't think the pets are causing the moisture. I hate to say it, but I'd be concerned about moisture coming from under the floor - which could cause some very big problems.

tina

o

I would check under the rug especially where your dog often sleeps to see if there are any problems there.

o

duplicate

This post was edited by snookums2 on Tue, Dec 4, 12 at 20:04

o

Well, if memory foam traps moisture from the floor, then memory foam rug pads for us on hardwood floors don't sound like a great idea. (And supposedly cats sweat through their paws and don't usually pant like dogs.)

o

Suzanne - OT once again regarding your rug....I know you said Costco doesn't sell it anymore, but is there a tag on the back with the manufacturer name or model number....or anything? thanks

o

Set a memory foam pillow on the floor, making sure to block access to sleepy dogs by putting an object on it, and then check it later to see if there is dampness or condensation.

o

Memory foam doesn't breath and the bottom of the bed may even have some water resistant coating on it. I think that moisture is coming out of your floor. I'd put a simple, all cotton throw under the bed so there is some breathing room between the bed and the floor.

I'd be pretty concerned that your floor was was not installed properly. Is it concrete or sub-floor underneath? If you put some plastic over an area and tape it on all four sides so that it is air sealed, you would probably see condensation on the plastic within a day. If that happens, your floor is destined to have moisture damage.

o

x-post (mostly, but not entirely):

Baby update: Baby was indeed born just after midnight on Dec. 4. Those cramps? Right-from 3 cm to delivery in 40 minutes. The photo is Julia 3 days old. That sleeper is 0-3 months and she's swimming in it! I'm still up here at my daughter's doing the grandma thing. She is so sweet! Looks a lot like her brother at that age.

Dog bed: I just read the article* onedoggie linked. Years ago, our waterbed heater died about 2 weeks before a scheduled vacation, so we put off changing it out until we had the time. We put sleeping bags on top of the covers. Guess what? Our warm bodies, plus bedding, met the cold water in the bed and grew mold on the mattress pad next to the bag of water. I'm really allergic to mold. We actually discovered the problem after I had a major asthma attack, which answered the question of what set me off. So maybe that is exactly what is going on here: warm dog, cold bamboo = condensation. Weird. It never happened with the dog beds that had cedar in them.

The Floor Q.: Now I'm totally curious what the story is. When I get home, I'm going to try a few of these experiments. Meanwhile, Bumblebeez, thanks for the head's up on the bath mats. I just bought two of this type but haven't used them yet - the cat tears up the bath mats, so I was waiting until the Christmas company was imminent.

barbarany - Just called home and got DH to look for a label: Artistic Weavers by Surya, Elizabeth, hand tufted, India, 100% wool.

Here is a link that might be useful: *onedoggie's link

o

Precious, precious girl!! Congratulations to the entire family!!

Nancy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here