Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deegw

Would this work as a sofa table?

deegw
10 years ago

{{!gwi}}

It would go behind the sofa that backs up to the dining area. Will it stick out like a sore thumb? We have lots of dark wood antiques and the room is looking a little more formal than I intended. I thought the red powder coat might shake things up.

{{!gwi}}

Comments (19)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I think it could work if you shook things up a bit within the room as well. I would find a way to bring in the same color in a few other spots, and I might try to introduce more of the style with lamps or a new chair?

If you dropped ONLY this item into the room, IMHO it would not be as successful.

• maddielee
    10 years ago

Yes! Put a big red bowl on the table. Don't overdo the red and blue unless you want Patriotic.

ML

• kswl2
    10 years ago

Is that rug I see red as well? If so, you're well on your way---maybe a red ceramic lamp on a table (not the red one) or a ginger jar lamp in a traditional willow design in red instead of blue?

Hmmm the more I look at the picture it looks more like a cocktail table than a rug. If you don't have a rug, a blue and red oriental would be perfect.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

That particular piece looks too casual, imo. Nevertheless, if you use it, I would tone it down with a dark glaze. Then add some more mellow reds around the room.

• k9arlene
    10 years ago

Not loving it just plopped into your current room.

• amykath
    10 years ago

I do not think it goes with your current style.

Lovely room.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

It's not wood, is it? If you want something casual, I'd get painted wood.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Maybe just touches of red in pillows and accessories. Fringe on the drapes would look pretty, imo. I wouldn't use a bright red though. Something mellow.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

I wonder why people are so averse to using our flag colors in their homes -- but you have a lot of gold going on.

This post was edited by snookums2 on Sat, Dec 14, 13 at 19:26

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Your room is so very lovely. That table, imo, does not fit in with the rest of your beautiful pieces.

• finallyhome
    10 years ago

Nothing wrong with a splash of color, but I think this particular style is too industrial for the room.

• chispa
    10 years ago

I would look for a red Asian/Chinese console or altar table.

• deegw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone! I can see that the style might be a reach but I don't think the red would be a big stretch. For some reason, the photo I posted is a bit muted and misleading. There is red in the chairs that doesn't show well and I do have some red in other parts of the room. Plus the adjoining kitchen next to the dining area is painted turquoise. So, there are existing colors that would balance out the red.

What I really like about the table is that it's authentic. It's not pretending to be anything other than an industrial work table.

Edited to add - For those who have not heard me mention this 1,000 times we do live in a cottage in a casual beach town so quirky furniture would not be completely out in left field.

This post was edited by deee on Sun, Dec 15, 13 at 8:09

• User
    10 years ago

I like it and think it will add a nice touch to the room. I am a blue fanatic- and years ago had more accents of red with the blue. I find myself gravitating back to the red touches with blue. It just feels so authentic ---- and honestly that is what I planned to say before I saw your last post of the style being authentic.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

A style like these might work for the room.

• k9arlene
    10 years ago

I don't see the red as being a problem in your room. I think the table would work in an eclectic setting, but I don't see your rooms as having an eclectic style. I think it would be a focal point in your room, but not in a good way.

• Oakley
    10 years ago

I think it's great!

• deegw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

beverly - Thanks for being my virtual personal shopper. Is the third piece a Target threshold item? I really love the look of the windham things.

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

I actually have one of those Target threshold cabinets in my beach house, and I can tell (pretty sure, anyway) that the one Beverly posted is not the same.

The second one looks a bit like the Rojo cabinet from Crate and Barrel?

I, too, am not feeling the original one you posted. Your room doesn't strike me as eclectic, it seems more traditional, but I think one of the tables Beverly posted might work well, especially the first 3 or 4.