Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eg3d

Any ideas how to use this box in decorating?

EG3d
11 years ago

This is a 40 oz box of chocolates, Whitman's Sampler. I LOVE the box for some reason. It measures 23 1/2 inches across and 15 inches top to bottom. It completely covers my top shelf of the refrigerator now while there is chocolate in there. Could I use s display? I could use it for storing items like thread, etc. Any ideas?

Comments (13)

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

For Christmas, why not fill it w/small glass(vintage?) ornaments? All,red would be very pretty. You can find vintage ornaments at antique shops. New would be ok too! ;o)

• Vertise
    11 years ago

I always hate to toss those types of things too. Is it the Whitman's itself you like so much or maybe you could cover it in a pretty paper or fabric. If the tray comes out, I would use it for storage.

• EG3d
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I cannot put my finger on it why I like it so much. I was not going to buy it until I heard it was the last box in stock. I really like the box. Thanks.

• luckygal
    11 years ago

If it's the look of the printing on the box you like you might spray it with clear spray so it stays pristine and doesn't get fingerprints, etc. on it.

I've done that with some cardboard photo boxes from Michaels that I use for storage in the office and they are more durable when sprayed. I use them to store staples, stickers, extra pencils, pens, stamps, and all sorts of things I occasionally need but want out of sight.

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Earrings?
    Buttons?
    A junk box on your desk instead of space in a drawer for all those little things that accumulate from who-knows-where?
    The fronts of Christmas cards that you cut off and use as tags on next year's presents?

• kathy77
    11 years ago

I thought chocolate should be room temperature.

• Vertise
    11 years ago

Now I remember I had a Whitmans too! I took the tray out and kept a lot of pens, pencils, markers init. It was very handy! Those compartments are quite small as I remember and maybe not as useful. Maybe you collect buttons? Beads? If you really like the little holders.

This post was edited by snookums2 on Fri, Dec 21, 12 at 7:23

• deegw
    11 years ago

Do you like the graphics on the box or the box itself? Depending on your decor you could put the lid in a shadow box and put it on the wall or on the shelf. I think the graphics on the lid could work as a deorative piece with a lot of different decor styles.

• User
    11 years ago

Left field here- you could glue the bottom of the box to a thin piece of wood then add hooks attach this to the wall near the front door for hanging keys etc. Put the lid on then voila hidden key storage. Feel free to boo and hiss LOL

• camlan
    11 years ago

My mother used a smaller, two-layer Whitman's box as a sewing box. It had a lot of little cardboard compartments.

As decor, I could see this as the start of a collection. Keep on the lookout for other pretty boxes that you like and when you have enough, display them on a shelf in the kitchen. I like luckygals' idea of spraying it to preserve it.

I have a huge tin box that once held Walker's shortbread. It is mostly red plaid, with a bit of Christmas decoration on it. During the year, it holds some Christmas stuff and acts as storage. This time of year, it gets dusted off and filled with old ornaments and acts as a big decoration. It's also used to transport large numbers of Christmas cookies to parties. But it was far too good-looking to throw out.

• EG3d
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks all!! It will just fit in the cabinet I am using to store my sewing machine. So that might be its future purpose. We shall see.

Chocolate is best at room temperature but since I am only eating bit at a time the frig is where I am keeping the box.

• stolenidentity
    11 years ago

Hi EG3d,

I think this is the BEST idea - "I could use it for storing items like thread, etc." You could even put scissors and other sewing notions in there,,,and no need to put it in the cabinet if you don't want to, it's very cool.

• homeatlast
    11 years ago

I love this box! When I was a Girl Scout (yikes - 43 years ago!) I turned one of these into a sewing box for my sewing badge. A very fancy one - i covered the outside in navy velvet and the inside with silvery blue fabric. I don't think I kept the interior compartments, though. So I vote for turning it into a sewing box - I wish I still had mine!