Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vecarlson_gw

need advice - tudor paint colors

vecarlson
9 years ago

We just painted the entire house exterior and kind of hate the results. We painted the base Benjamin Moore Bennington Gray but it came out a bit dark and with a yellowish tint. The windows were changed by the prior owners with Renewals by Anderson but those windows came with window frames painted brown at the factory. To keep the windows from looking too small we chose to paint the window trim a matching brown (BM Texas Leather) but now the whole things looks very blah! I also suspect the door color is a bit too bright red. Finally, we chose to paint the chimmeny the same color as the base (trying to make it blend in) but now it just looks unnatural. What colors would you chose if you could start from scratch? THANKS!

Comments (25)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

for sure... i would take the time.. to see it in all kinds of light ..

of course it looks dark on that dank cloudy day ...

and you dont mention how long its been done.. other than JUST done .... paint can lighten somewhat ...

i dont see the yellow tint ... but overall ... i like the hue .. or the depth of the color ... i dont really see it as too light ... much lighter.. and you will have a large shining beacon there .... it might be too bright ...

the red door looks very christmassy ... which i might not like in summer ...

i hope you mean you are thinking about repainting come next summer... in the mean time.. see how it really looks.. when the trees are green.. etc ... it might take on a whole different look ...

dont jump off the deep end.. you JUST finished ...

ken

ps: man that a gigantic chimney right by the front door... and i cant figure out the layout indoors ... does it work????

• sameboat
    9 years ago

Wow yes, about the chimney by the door. Is there a fireplace right by your entrance? I LOVE Tudor- style homes. Any I can remember have always been a creamy white stucco with VERY dark brown trim and a dark colored door. I like a red door, but perhaps the deepest, darkest black cherry you could find?

• User
    9 years ago

Yes, maybe lighter on the siding, a very dark brown on the grim and around the door?

• User
    9 years ago

w/orange door

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Tue, Dec 23, 14 at 19:02

• User
    9 years ago

with a teal/blue door

• User
    9 years ago

with magenta door

• User
    9 years ago

With maroon door

• User
    9 years ago

blue door

• User
    9 years ago

hunter green

• User
    9 years ago

gold/ochre/pumpkin

• User
    9 years ago

turquoise/whatever this is

• User
    9 years ago

I really like the pumpkin/orange and the turquoise.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

the green door might really pop... with the trees all green

ken

• User
    9 years ago

This is a pretty green, Gallery Green SW

• marcolo
    9 years ago

It wouldn't surprise me if the chimney and front sections were originally brick and stuccoed later. I'd think about doing the stucco and body in different colors. That's the way many of these English colonials were designed.

• bonnieann925
    9 years ago

What a charming house! We have many tudor houses in our area, many are brick/shingle/stucco combinations. Live with it for a few months and see how you like it. What do the other houses in your area look like? I think painting the chimney, which probably can't be easily undone, really changed the look of your house. Many tudors have exposed brick chimneys.
    Here's what I found (check shingle tudor house with front chimney:
    http://www.search.ask.com/search?&o=100000031cr&gct=kwd&q=shingle+tudor+house+with+front+chimney&tpr=10&ctype=pictures&imgsize=all&safeSearch=on&imgDetail=true
    Consider red (doesn't look like you have room for shutters) and also consider adding some landscaping to the front. Also, I'd add window boxes to all the front windows.

• voila
    9 years ago

You might want to paint the door another color after the holidays, and see how you like it. Since Bennington Gray has a green hue I think anything from hunter green to sage could look nice with your colors. Here's a cut and paste photo from a door with a siding color much like yours.

• bonnieann925
    9 years ago

Like this:

• vecarlson
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks to all of your for your insightful and constructive suggestions. The fact you would all take the time to help me out -- even mock-up some designs -- is really touching. You've all given me some great ideas. Thanks again!

• arkansas girl
    9 years ago

I like the green door with your paint colors that voila posted. Looks great to me! I also think that a less bright red would be better if you want to stick to the red door, like the maroon color also with existing paint job. I kind of think that maybe it's the red door that's throwing things off, to me it's too bright for the paint on the rest of the house. It's not bad but it could be better with a different door color.

• User
    9 years ago

Paint the chimney the same dark brown/black as the trim color that Tibbrix suggested above. It's not grounded enough as the body color. It needs weight.

• Kippy
    9 years ago

I played with your photo too

I darkened the chimney with a lighter tone than your windows (I missed I was softening the image too so please excuse that)

I lightened the work at the peaks of the front door and main house to accent them (cream colored)

and lightened the front door area to make it stand out from the body of the house.

Painting just the chimney, entry face and peaks is fairly minor compared to repainting the whole body of the hosue

• mnzinnia
    9 years ago

The suggestions by Kippy make an already lovely house shine. Those changes, along with a painting the door green or deeper red or deep blue/green, would make it outstanding. I really like the subtle use of tones related to the body to make features such as the chimney and entry stand out.

• bossyvossy
    9 years ago

Yep, kippy the hippy (love the name) has the best color rendition and it wouldn't be too much work to take from blah to wow!

• carolt924
    9 years ago

Kippy's suggestions, spot on!