Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
parma42

Want to help me pick out DR chairs?

parma42
15 years ago

I am having so many problems with our new house and am now in the process (actually, for the last year) of picking out DR chairs. The table, which I like, is from French Heritage. The chairs that go with it are too expensive and the seats were uncomfortable when I sat on them at Macy's.

The chairs in this post are from Ethan Allen. They're a bit more formal than I planned on but the back of the house is informal, so I guess it wouldn't hurt to have a dressier front. Original thought was to have a more Euro-eclectic look with a Soumak rug but an 8 x 10 wouldn't work in the space so after returning one 8' round, hand-knotted(another post) I settled on the one that's down now. It's a bit "sweeter" than I would like, but it is what it is.

Does anyone have an opinion about how to mix and match the chairs I've posted? How about fabrics? Could I tone down the formality if I choose a funkier fabric? I don't want to spend any more $$$ than the EA chairs cost.

Art is another problem. If you take a look at the wall behind the table, you can see that it isn't square. It's just sections of wall parts? that are also problematic. We do plan on adding crown. The ceiling is 9'.

Window treatments haven't been decided on either. The wall color is warmer than it appears IRL.

The LR is open to the DR and is also a work in progress.

Comments (46)

• chicoryflower
    15 years ago

Question 1, are you keeping the ladder backs? I love your table!

• parma42
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks chickory. The table was my big splurge and it is well made and quite sturdy. Not as formal looking IRL.

All the other chairs will go. The ladderbacks are old Ethan Allen ones from when my mom worked there, a million moons ago. DH hates them.

• estreya
    15 years ago

My favorite is number 1 - the open back with arms. I like how the open shapes relate to the table's pedestal base.

Having said that, sometimes wooden backs aren't comfortable when you sit for long periods. So the fabric back might be more forgiving on the spine.

I think arms are really important, and you've got the space for them, so why not?

Your space is shaping up so beautifully. That coffee table certainly was a find!

• estreya
    15 years ago

So i would get two of each of the ones with arms, for around the table ...

• threedgrad
    15 years ago

I would get the upholstered back ones with the arms if the arms will fit under the apron of the table and do not crowd the room. Otherwise, get 4 of the armless upholstered back.

• chicoryflower
    15 years ago

Well then, I like the upholstered chairs. Any chance you can post fabrics??? :D I think I'd be tempted to not do any chairs with arms.

As for art, I think something sort of tall and brownish would be good. Isn't that helpful?

• jerseygirl_1
    15 years ago

Gosh, this is a tough one. Both styles are pretty. I think armless would be best for the round table. It allows people to get in and out easier especially if you need to squeeze in two more chairs on short notice. You know how that happens sometimes.

I kind am leaning to the open chairs only because the table is significant and the open chairs lighten it up a little. Pretty room so far.

JMHO

• parma42
    Original Author
    15 years ago

If it makes any difference, there's only the two of us and the table has a leaf.

I tried to do something with the Ethan Allen website and their fabrics, to put some of them on the post, but am having problems with it.

Thanks for the input!

• stinky-gardener
    15 years ago

I like the open back chairs, Parma. I think a pair with arms & a pair without would be nice, or do 4 w/out arms. I agree with jersey, the airy, open feel is very nice. These would be gorgeous with your table. I agree with ditching the ladderbacks. I think they are great-looking chairs, (& I would love to have them in my kitchen) but they are far too American & colonial for the direction you're going in.

• meg711
    15 years ago

It looks lovely so far, parma.

JMHO, but for me personally, I don't know if I would mix armed and armless chairs with only four chairs. I would do all of one, or all of the other. In this case, I would do all armless because, as someone else mentioned, they're easier to get in and out of.

I think I'd prefer the upholstered chairs because it gives you an opportunity to add more color. And as long as it's the two of you, you don't need to worry about dirty little hands on the fabric. (My kids use chairs as napkins. Ugh!) I'm also concerned about having the opened backs around the table and seeing through them--can't really explain it, but maybe it's too much visual distraction with the open back? But whatever you choose, it will be wonderful!

• les917
    15 years ago

Love your table. Not crazy about the open-back chairs - they look like something is missing in the middle of the back design to me. I am not a fan of queen-anne legs, but additionally I think they feel too formal for the less formal feel of the rest of the space.

What about these? I like the shape, and the legs are still pretty but not as formal in feel.

stanley provincia arm chair

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    15 years ago

I really like the two black chairs you have. If it were me, I'd keep them and choose the upholstered chairs without the arms to go with them. I think it makes for a very interesting and eclectic look.

• mjlb
    15 years ago

Not sure which I prefer, but here they are grouped (and an add'l EA chair.

• meg711
    15 years ago

I'm a sucker for turned legs so I really like the last chairs posted by mjlb. I like Les's suggestion, too, but my hunch is that that chair is more expensive than the EA chairs that Parma has picked out.

• cat_tail
    15 years ago

I really like the upholstered-back ones because they're substantial enough with the table. I've got some of the open-back style, and I'm sure the upholstered back are more comfortable (though mine are from the 20's, so today's may be better). Still, I like the weightines of the other ones. I'm not sure whether arms or armless is better, but I would think mixing them would look odd on a round table.

• cliff_and_joann
    15 years ago

I love the table and both chairs would do well.
    I love the black chairs as well and wouldn't get rid of them Are the stained ebony or painted black?
    If you keep the two dark chairs, then I would probably choose the upholstered chairs. But, then again I love the open ones too...it's a tough call, both are beautiful,
    The open ones are a lighter look, the more I think about it,
    I like the open ones with the table, It allows the table to be the main attraction.

I guess, I'm no big help!

We have 9 dining room chairs in our DR. Three different styles. It all blends well, and it's interesting too.

• amysrq
    15 years ago

My first inclination was to go with the open chairs because I thought you'd be able to see more of the table. But, then when I thought about it more, the open chairs, and all that visual going-on-ness will actually distract from the table. A fabric chair will be less visually cluttery, imo.

I also think that using two fabrics could be fun and interesting. If you put a solid on the backs, you have even less visual stimulus to distract from the table. Print goes on the front such that as you walk by, you see the pattern on the far side of the table. I really think it's gotta be all about the table.

So, for the chairs...I liked the ones you picked out until I saw those mjlb found. I think the straight top echos the table in a harmonious way, the shape of the back piece (sorry, don't know my furniture nomenclature) echos the pedestal nicely. I don't know if that's the chair (because I still think a fabric chair might be less distracting) but it competes less with the table.

Generally, to make that table sing, you need to go with the least ornate chair you can that is still appropriate. I think the first open chair is too too.

So, about the art and walls and WTs... Are you attached to the corner cabinet in that location? It seems at first glance that a flat piece of case goods on the middle wall would make sense for art on the right wall and leave more space for WTs. It's just a little awkward the way it is now. (sorry...I know you didn't ask...but you know I'm on your side!)

• parma42
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That's what I love about this place, everyone has a different opinion! Makes it so much fun, especially since mine seems to change so often. Every time I add another element to the house, it seems to change everything else. I used to think it would be boring and too expensive to pick it all out at once, prefering to buy a piece at at time, but it, too, has many challenges.

Les, I almost spit out my coffee when you linked the Stanley Provincia chairs. I grabbed my tear sheet from Geneva Home Works (Chicagoland, Les might have heard of it)to check the price as I knew they were much lower than online. They happen to be the chairs I wanted a year ago. I just wasn't in love with the quality IRL and, if I remember correctly, you can't pick out your fabrics. The saleslady even admitted that Stanley was overpriced for for what they make.

Ingrid and Joann,

I do love to mix and match as you can see in my breakfast nook. However, those black chairs are a bit tacky (I think I can use that word when talking about my own things, lol). We bought the set, sight unseen, from Macy's. They have a very cheap look to them (but are very comfortable) and have a weird, hazy finish. I was lucky enough to have some nice Harden chairs to break up the look of them.

Mjlb, I love those British chairs! I must have seen them in the store and the legs are similar to the sofa in the LR. The settee has cabriole legs.

I have been looking on craigslist for over a year. One of the problems is that French Heritage made this table 31" tall, instead of the normal 30". Most of the used chairs I find are so short.

How "out there" can I get with DR chairs without looking like I've pulled them out of the garage at the last minute for extra seating? I love mixing styles but I also want a good looking finish instead of the hazy Chinese furniture glaze that's popping up on so many of the new pieces.

• mjlb
    15 years ago

Parma, I love your breakfast room iron wing chairs! Where did you find them / are they comfortable?

• parma42
    Original Author
    15 years ago

mjlb, thanks! I love them so much, too. They are a conglomeration of two tones of metal, leather ties where the metal crosses and a drabbed out gold paisely seat. And somehow, it all works.

Unfortunately, they are a Harden chair that was discontinued a few years back. I fell in love with them when I was travelling with DH. Browsing furniture stores was my favorite way to kill an afternoon. We had them shipped to Chicago.

Amy, you could never offend me and Les has been trying to get me to move the hutch to my entry to cover the stupid recess the builder put in an awkward place. It wasn't high enough, however.

Yes, I'm kind of stubbornly attatched to it. It belonged to my mother from when she was a designer for an Ethan Allen Carriage House, back in the day. She was quite good and we had our home and another home of one of her clients in the home section of our newspaper. This is all I have left of her (long story and it has to do with my dad...you know about all that *sigh*).

Maybe, someday when we win the lottery, I can move it to a bedroom. She had that piece in so many different rooms in so many houses...

• parma42
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I've added a few more chairs if anyone is still following this.

I liked the lines of the British chairs that mjlb added. Also, a better pic of the rug.

Anything float your boat?

• estreya
    15 years ago

Independently, i LOVE the third chairs down from the top. But i think with your table (which is gorgeous), the legs may be to slender, and the lines a little too "simple" to really complement it. So i'm going to vote for the last chair pictured (above the rug) because i like the marriage of the legs on it with the pedestal base of your table. And they look really comfy.

• suero
    15 years ago

I like the bottom chair of your post because the legs match the table leg. My second favorite is the Ethan Allen splat back chair that mjlb posted. But whatever you pick, be sure to sit in it. Uncomfortable chairs are good for restaurants, where they want diners to leave. Not so much if you want to linger over your food.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• robin_DC
    15 years ago

I vote for the last chair and the Tommy Bahama (fourth from the top). I couldn't figure out why I wasn't crazy about the other chairs with your table, even though I think they're quite pretty. These last two posts clarified it for me; the legs' curves and ornateness fight with the base of the table.

I think the less ornate shapes work better with the table. I also like the viliana's that are the 5th from the top.

• walkin_yesindeed
    15 years ago

Agreed about the less ornate shapes and simpler openings, also that armless chairs are the way to go.

I took a look at overstock, and found these (can anyone make them into clickable links or embed the pics for me? sorry, technologically clueless):

http://www.overstock.com/Restaurant-Supplies/Empire-Dining-Chair-Set-of-2/2560437/product.html
    These are white, but the shapes seemed to work, and the price is great, as are the reviews.

Not much like the styles you've been looking at, but maybe?
    http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Thomasville-Dining-Fusion-Biedermeier-style-Chairs-Set-of-2/3545451/product.html

and now for something *completely* different, but ???
    http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Thomasville-Bogart-Luxe-Silver-Side-Chairs-Set-of-2/3545495/product.html

these are more like the ones you chose above:
    http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Thomasville-Dining-Fusion-Upholstered-Side-Chairs-Set-of-2/3545458/product.html

But most importantly: your table and home are so lovely: trust your good instincts that you will make a good decision!

• amysrq
    15 years ago

I agree with estreya that the very simple chairs with the nail head detail are very sweet, but perhaps too plain for the table. I also agree with suero that the last chair echos the table base. But, I think maybe you don't want all that replication in the same visual space. Theoretically, it should work, but I still think you need the table to take center stage. All that sameness feels visually cluttery to me.

That's why I think the fifth one down (mustard walls) is the best from what I can see. It is not too plain yet there is nothing going on in the visual space where the table is. All the fun stuff is either up high, or on the floor, rather than in the middle, where you want to be looking at the table itself. (I know this sounds like gobbledy gook, but I don't know how else to say it!)

The other sweet thing is that the carvings around the feet seem to echo the carved banding on the table. That is nicely balanced, IMO. The carved feet are a nice riff on the table, but they are far enough away to not compete...or have to match identically. They don't look matchy matchy, but rather as if they were collected by someone with consistent taste!

• totallyblessed
    15 years ago

Just saw this thread.....

I agree. I'd do armless. Trying to get up to grab dining items for guests is a royal pain with arms. Doable if you are at the head of a rectangular formal table, but would not be as easy around a round one. I know I LOVE sliding in and out easily at our round table.

And Amy picked MY chairs. She has great taste. *wink, wink* After seeing your table and also seeing your GORGEOUS breakfast area (I have drapery envy.... I love that checked pattern!!!), I still think "my" chairs would look fabulous in your dining area.

I forgot to mention to you on the other thread that they are a nice weight. Substantial, without being TOO heavy to move around. I drag them out of the way to vacuum/mop and they are easy. My formal dining chairs are leather, and very ornate and carved. I saw them, they were comfy, and I bought. Never tried to actually lift them and move them. What a mistake. LOL! My younger children can not even MOVE their formal chairs on their own. But these SL chairs are easily moved. But not so light that they feel "cheap". Know what I mean??

Of course, if you order them and then hate them, I'm going to feel sooooo very bad indeed for being such a strong advocate. But honestly, I don't think that will happen. They are comfy. They are great quality for the price point. And they are gorgeous.... better IRL. :o)

What are you thinking after all this input from GW'ers?? :o)

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

From your last set, I like #1 and #4 the best. I think Amy's advice is on the money with letting the table be the star. I also would vote to do all armless--that way you have more flexibility in the seating.

• parma42
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Totally asks "What are you thinking after all this input from the GWers?"

I'm thinking that my head is about to split open, lol.

TB said on another thread that she wasn't sure if her chairs would be a good match after she saw my rug. I love the chairs but am not sure if a burgundy would work.

Walkin, I know those Thomasville Fushion chairs. I used to lust over them. They are discontinued (that's why overstock has the ones that are left) and only come in the one fabric. It has cool colors, too. Purple is one of them and if I hadn't picked out the other elements first...I'd have jumped on them.

It would have been so much easier to buy everything at once. I thought I would enjoy prolonging the decorating choices. tsk, tsk

I like the Tommy Bahama and the British chair. I also have an email in to the site I got the prices for Amy's chair (and totally's, :) ) to ask for a clarification of fabric color.

Yeesh, Christmas is almost here. What a stupid time to start doing all of this.

Thanks everyone for humoring me.

• amysrq
    15 years ago

Okay, let's be practical here. How many are you buying...four? We're not talking about a whole ton of money to recover them, especially if you get a deal on the fabric.

I also still like the idea of mixing fabrics, using a solid on the backs to minimize visual distraction from the table. If the colors are close enough but you don't love them or the pattern competes with the rug, you could pull a solid color that bridges the rug and the chair fabric and just use it on the backs of the chairs. That would be quite affordable.

The other thing I will say, at the risk of really making your head split open, is that this plan allows you to take the decision in stages, rather than getting it all right at once. Pick the chair first and then switch out some or all of the fabric later when you have the time and inclination. Yes, it delays finding the "ultimate solution" but maybe that's what you need now, just to take smaller steps.

• saltnpeppa
    15 years ago

Parma,
    I did not read all the responses so excuse me if I seem to be a dunce:)

But it seems to me you have all the chairs that you need!! The black chairs are beautiful & I think they look beautiful with your dining room table. They tie in very nicely with your gorgeous chinosiere(sp??) coffee table. You have 4 ladder back chairs you could use in your kitchen. When entertaining more than 4 at the DR you could pull in your metal chairs upholstered to match what you cover your black chairs in.

For the ladder back chairs you could get some of the really cute seat cushions from ballard designs where you got your drapes....in a really fun pattern.

I still really like Les' idea to take the corner cab & use it in your entry. I am seeing a gorgeous tapestry(maybe pick one up on one of your trips) on that angled wall by your DR table.

Smiles:)

• parma42
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Good idea, Amy...thanks, at least it would be a start.

lol, scooby. You're not a dunce but I mentioned in this post that the black chairs are really ugly and cheap looking IRL. Great thought though! No money spent is always better than any money spent. :)

• marybeth1
    15 years ago

I know I'm late to the game but I would go for the upholstered backs with no arms. They are more comfortable and don't take up as much room. I have 6 dinning chairs 2 with arms and I wish I had all w/o arms I think they are more versatile. I love the legs oh the chairs.

• jerseygirl_1
    15 years ago

Amy,

Boy, there is a lot to catch up to.

Now that I have seen you kitchen dining chairs, my new choice is the upholstered chairs. The open style would be too similar.

I know no one selected it but I like the clean lines of the blue chair best. The reason is the base of the table is fancy, the china cabinet has curvy lines, and the chandy is curvy. It makes the room more eclectic since it's more transitional than traditional. Just another way of looking at things.

Using different fabric on the backs of the chairs would be smashing. It's an interesting look and adds texture.

• les917
    15 years ago

I understand about the table base being wonderful (and it is!) but don't forget that you won't see that much of it once the chairs are pushed in around it. Look at the first pix in the thread - you don't really even see most of the shape or detail of the base. The base would be a bigger issue if the table were to sit alone in an entry hall, perhaps. Otherwise, I just prefer the idea of less curvy legs so they don't visually compete with the curves you do see in the base.

Of the last chairs you posted, I only like the last one. Simpler lines, and the fluting on the front legs is nice with the fluted table base.

• sailormann
    15 years ago

I like the table a lot but I think that the Queen Anne motif in the chairs is not as welcoming or comfy looking as other options might be. Lingering around the table when the meal is finished is one of the best parts of the dining experience, and nothing makes that easier to do than a soft, upholstered chair.
    {{!gwi}}

• brutuses
    15 years ago

I like the 3rd. choice in armless that mljb posted. I like the legs and the wood back. If this is an everyday dinette I think the wood is practical and not as stuffy and formal as upholstered backs.

Can't wait to see what you chose.

• bellaflora
    15 years ago

Since your chairs would be seen from the back, I would take the back view in consideration. Some chairs look good from the front, but not very appealing from the back.

Of the choices I like the cane back the most. The other one looks so ornate & kinda stiff. However, that chair may not have the star/swoon quality that you are looking for.

I think something along the lines of these chairs would be beautiful w/ your table.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

I like these because they are traditional but not so stuffy.

• parma42
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Update...head now split wide open, brains oozing on the floor.

I have, however, figured out why I'm obsessing over the chairs. It dawned on me last night, that when I'm sitting on the family room sofa watching TV or whatever with DH, the DR table is in my full view. Straight through the kitchen, the first thing you see is the table.

The pic doesn't show it well but my view is to the left of the fridge, smack into the table base. When TV is boring (which it usually is) I just think about the DR and give DH an elbow and ask him "watcha think about x, y or z?". Believe me, nobody will be happier when I'm done with this than he will. :)

Les put the kibosh on the chairs that most were leaning toward. The chairs that come with the table are wooden cane back that cost about a grand a pop.

Maybe I'll just have DH drive me around Chicagoland over the holidays (he gets almost two weeks off) and hit all the stores. Great advice about sitting in a chair in person to get the feel. I want this decided before we leave for Italy next month.

• parma42
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bella, we were cross posting. Where did you find those pretty chairs? Were they from inspirations or do you have the source?

Thanks

• bellaflora
    15 years ago

Parma: they are from Drexel Heritage. I don't know anything a/b their current pricing nor their quality, but one of my friend bought furnitures from them in the past and really likes their quality. She bought them directly from NC w/ discount.

The white chairs also come in different finish. My friend chose the wood finish by visiting the local store, but ended up buying from NC because they gave better deal.

I know how hard it is to choose the perfect dining chairs. It surely took me forever. The reason I recommend chairs w/ round or arched back is because it would echo the line of your table better. Also, these legs are so elegant they look like they are ready to do pirouette! :-D

• parma42
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks bella,

My sofa in the LR is Drexel Heritage. I figured your chairs might be from there so I looked on the site this afternoon.

They are more than I was looking to spend but may have to rethink. :)

• bellaflora
    15 years ago

Parma: my friend bought her stuff from Boyles in NC and they gave her 40-50% off MSRP plus no sale tax (out of state sale). They have flat delivery charge as well. I don't know what is their current policy but maybe you can drive a bargain, now that all the furniture stores are begging for buyers. :-D

Good luck.

• amysrq
    15 years ago

Parma, I think you should buy your chairs in Italy! ;-)

• parma42
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LOL, seen the exchange rate lately??? :)

• amysrq
    15 years ago

I can't go, so I can't look!