Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christy_bell

New Thread... would you put something over this bed?

Christy Bell
9 years ago

Ok - let's go!!!

I moved the furniture again! I like it much better without the tallboy and the room feels much bigger. So the tallboy is in the closet. Moved the bed and nightstands over. Mocked up the 3 canvas prints I'm considering buying over the long dresser. Now what? What's missing? I have purchased from Ballard Designs a few items for this room - please tell me what you think before they ship!

View 1 - upon entering room.

Comments (60)

• amykath
    9 years ago

I wonder if what feels off upon entering the room is that everything is on the left and only the dresser on the right. You have that large space to the right of the windows that is empty. Maybe art, a plant, a large mirror? Or a nice tapestry. If you are doing panels over the windows that could help too.

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes - maybe a pair of chairs there with table in between or long dresser on that wall - though it wouldn't leave room for a panel.

• blubird
    9 years ago

Does the dresser fit on that wall to the right of the windows? I love the new reading area.

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It does fit there, but wouldn't leave room for panels. Not an issue if I choose different window treatments.

• Karenseb
    9 years ago

I like everything you've picked out so far. I too wondered what the dresser would look like next to the window. If you have room, it would be nice to see the dresser straight on as you walk into the room. Maybe a large tall wall sculpture or print on the wall to the right if you move the dresser.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Check the height of the lamp you want to use. There are lots of green lamps out there to choose from..

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dresser on window wall.

• marcolo
    9 years ago

Love the Spitzmiller knockoffs beverly posted.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I like the dresser better where you just moved it, to the right of the windows. It cozies up the reading chair corner.

• homedecorhelp
    9 years ago

The dresser with the window wall does not look appealing. You should replace it again and put some long vase with flowers there. More over the art pieces over the dresser are very low. These should be higher .

• blubird
    9 years ago

I do like the dresser better next to the windows. For window coverings, how about woven woods?

• Tmnca
    9 years ago

I prefer the dresser in the first location across from the bed. Window panels will cozy up the window wall. I would put a tall plant in the blank wall space to the right of the window.

• amykath
    9 years ago

Would your larger dresser fit in the closet and then bring the tall dresser and place in the same location you have the lower larger dresser? If so, that would give you some room to work with on that bare wall you see when you come into the room. Otherwise it will look crowded.

If it were my room this is what I would do. I would bring the tall boy out and place it where I suggested. Then, I would put a taller fuller floor plant in the corner or slightly over towards the windows (but not out in the middle of the wall). I would hang art in that space that is left between the windows and the plant. I wouldn't put anything over the bed. I would hang one piece of art over the tall boy and put a shorter lamp on him. I would add some art to either side of the bed above the lamps or somewhere in between. Not sure if I would buy new lamps. Only if I really didn't like the ones I already had. I would definitely put a smaller pillow on the chair.

Here is a mockup of what I am thinking. Maybe you can get away with just two paneled curtains. I know its not perfect but maybe will give some more ideas?

• VitalyGrace
    9 years ago

The bed looks awesome, I wouldn't put any more things over it. If any, I would remove a few pillows - they make the bed look very old fashioned.

• amykath
    9 years ago

I feel the shape of the headboard lends itself to being the focal point of the wall. When curved up in the middle. there is only a fight between the arch and anything above it. Maybe it one had super high ceilings... However, I think it looks great as is.

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

aktillery - wonderful job.

I do not have room in the closet for the mule chest. It will have to stay in the room. I could put a plant there if I didn't center the dresser on that wall. I've been considering exactly what you have suggested, just with the other dresser and maybe doing two matching chairs on that wall with table between, window panels and art on that wall when you first walk in. I'd also need a lamp on the dresser (probably in the corner) and a the mirror I ordered above. I also agree about the bed - nothing over the top and art above nightstands. Would you do anything on that wall to the left of the bed or just leave it blank?

• amykath
    9 years ago

Thanks Christy.

I would do what you mentioned and leave it blank for now. See how it looks.

Do you have a need for another chair? I do not think another is necessary if you do the panels, plant and art.

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sounds like a plan. I will work on those first then see if I need the other chair. It would be for decor only - we don't sit in them, they just collect clothing!

• amykath
    9 years ago

lol then definitely do not get another chair!

• Karenseb
    9 years ago

I reviewed your original layout and I think I like it best! Your room seems fairly large and I liked the way both pieces of furniture balanced the room. I did not mind the nightstand in front of the window. Your window in the corner is so pretty, I don't think I'd cover it with drapes. I don't know what direction that window faces, but someone I knew had a corner window similar to yours and she did a narrow sofa style table under the window and had orchids on the table. Very pretty. They like bright indirect light, maybe morning sun would be okay.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

christyinco, well now you have come full circle. The posters are now suggesting you go back to the way you had it.

Let's try the long dresser on the roof shall we? LOL

• lolauren
    9 years ago

I like the way you had it at the start of THIS post with the chair in the window corner and the long dresser on the wall facing the bed. It looks better with the bed centered on the wall. I like aktillery's photo with a plant on that window wall, although I think it's fine empty......! It might just require a little time to get used to it.

• lilylore
    9 years ago

Don't know if anyone mentioned this. I did a mock up w/ a second chair (flipped the img of the other chair and drew in the legs) I added some art, but not sure of the size, balance, just a look see.

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well - the verdict is in! My husband came home!!! He likes the current layout - with chair next to window. I'm going to go forward with panels, then start layering with art, etc. before purchasing another chair. I think the current chair is too short anyway. Thanks so much for the mock-ups. They are so fun to see - and easier on the back!

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

beverly27 - you are so right! Full circle is how I've been going about it in my head - a dangerous place to be!

My heart sank when I saw the lamps you posted - didn't know what to say. The others from BD are already on their way and they may be a tad too short. I may need to boost them on books or return them - I hate paying shipping to return home goods! I do like the more rustic look of them as I would consider our style to be rustic modern. It really is a mix of modern furniture with more rustic touches. I know our bedroom set doesn't look it - certainly more traditional - but we got it off Craigslist for a great deal and it's made by Woodleys - real cherry. We love the wood, so that's why we have it all! I never think to look at Overstock.com - I should start.

• busybee3
    9 years ago

I love the reading chair by the windows! I prefer the dresser on the non window wall and think once you have panels and whatever else up, it will look great!!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Christyinco,

I do prefer the glaze ceramic on the lamps you ordered and think they really will complement the room. You might be able to gain some height by changing to a taller shade height and either adding extenders to the lamp harp or changing it out to a larger sized harp.

Just sending back the shades, is much less expensive.

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow - didn't know those existed! Thanks!

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

I would want a mirror over the short dresser if it lands at the foot of the bed. Next to the windows the pictures look "right".
    You are removing the mirror? I would want something larger and more decorative if it is going to float on that wall all alone.
    Two chairs? When I read in the bedroom, I am in bed hoping to fall asleep soon. Never have I chosen the bedroom for a place to "chat" with anyone over coffee. A chair is nice in a bedroom but an ensemble? Not seeing it. Curtain panels will add much to the room as far as taking up visual space. I would hold off until they are hung before I added anymore furniture to the room.

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What do you think about these prints above the nightstands. They are 20x40 canvas so would be a nice size and would run from top of nightstand to about 6" above top of iron on bed and slightly wider than lamp shade. Pictures are bad image, but are by Sara Abbott Effervescent.

Exciting! My lamps came yesterday. I purchased taller halos and that made a big difference.

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Arcy - I have decided to put the mirror I'm getting (Ogden mirror above) over the dresser, flanked by one or two lamps. The wall that the big mirror is on currently may have nothing on it, especially if I put art above the nightstands, as suggested. One chair is all I need - I agree. I'm going to work on getting panels for the windows so I can see what more I need visually. I don't want to get too crowded in there - I'm not against empty space, provided it makes sense.

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here are a couple of options for that window wall - art I already have.

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Up close of the pictures

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is one piece of large art. BTW, I'm just experimenting with the chairs in the room. The blue tape above the dresser is where a mirror will go and the tape on the windows is where panels would be.

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Closer view of the art - it has all the right colors.

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a pic of bed with new lamps.

• lilylore
    9 years ago

I like the styling on the dresser. I would have suggested from the earlier picture, that you consider, also, how the top looks when you are standing at the entry to the room. Smaller shades might do better on the dresser, but what's there ain't bad. I just have a thing for little dresser lamps, a nod to old fashioned, 1930s? It always looks right to me.

Once you see it with art, it seems the wall definitely needs it. Either arrangement looks fine (the single or matched set). That means, one can go in the closet and you can switch them around when you get board.

Those endtable lamps are beautiful, and you don't need artwork behind them, that might be too much. Let the lamps shine, so to speak.

An ottoman could be placed where the second chair is, that way you can pull it up when you want to relax in the corner with a book, and push it back out of the way the rest of the time where it could also be a landing pad for a midnight snack tray or breakfast in bed.

• amykath
    9 years ago

Looks great! I kinda like smaller lamps for dresser too. Or maybe it is the shape of the shades that is throwing me off.

Love your new lamps!

I agree both pieces of art look good. The larger one seems more special though.

I do not think you need two chairs regardless.

Do these things and then if you still feel it is blank you can get a small ottoman or anything really. I would just start with what you have. Again, definitely one chair does it.

Here is a not so great mock up of a thought I had.

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

aktillery - that is a great mock-up. Now, I see what you mean. I do like the bench. I agree with the lamp shades - I just happened to have these around so used them. I'm also in love with this chair and ottoman w/drum table. Don't know if it'd be too much of the same tones going on though.

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A question - in hanging curtain panels - how high do you go? I know the trend is to go up to the top third between casing and ceiling. I just don't like that in bedrooms. I prefer cozy and it just seems more dramatic than I like to go in those spaces. What do you all think? I'm considering 6" above casing (header (top seam) of curtain would hit top of casing)

• amykath
    9 years ago

It is gorgeous! I think the style of it is very different from your entire bedroom though.

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Okay - that's kind of what I thought. I really like your idea of the storage bench and the single chair. Right now I need to get the panels and see where to go from there.

• lilylore
    9 years ago

Your Augusto Chair and Ottoman are in the British Colonial or Tropical Colonial style. I have always loved that style, but I prefer a fabric, rather than leather upholstery. The drum table is cute. Maybe they don't match the current style, but they don't clash either. But I do think the traditional style goes better with what you have.

Your windows are wide enough and dominate, so I don't think you need to worry about making them appear larger, quite the opposite. And if you want more intimacy, definitely bring them in. You can hang the curtains so they just barely cover the framework. So, they can be just a few inches above the window trim and extend only a few inches from the sides, imho..

This post was edited by Lilylore on Sat, Dec 13, 14 at 16:51

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I like the bed wall exactly how you have it now with your new lamps, which are very nice BTW. I think it's enough. No artwork above the bed or the lamps. It looks great. Just leave it alone. :)

I like the bench. A good place for putting on shoes without adding another chair and it fills the space without being me, me, me. Smaller lamps on the dresser would be nice.

• beesneeds
    9 years ago

Personally, I would put up a shelf over the bed. 4-6" deep, as wide as the bed is. Fill the shelf with flameless candles.

• amykath
    9 years ago

Christy,

Where are you looking for panels? Also, what color and type of material and hanging options are you looking for? I thought I could help as I am the queen of online shopping. Also, check out Overstock for the benches and curtains. I would look at Home Goods or TJMaxx or Marshalls for lamps. You can get some killer deals, same with curtains and benches. I also have had great luck with panels from JCPenny. You can see I was once a curtain fanatic!

• amykath
    9 years ago

What will be so weird for me, is in my new house we are building, there will be no window treatments on the wall of windows in the living or kitchen. Well, I say that now! lol

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

LOL!! After I signed off I realized we have not been answering your question. Adding to that--I thought you meant over head from the ceiling--like a chandelier or canopy!! I am soooo glad I read and figured it out before inserting foot in mouth!! Too funny. Your head board seems to deserve not to share attention on that wall--but I am wondering how tall your ceilings are. If they are taller than typical--I may be persuaded to change my mind.

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ceilings are 9' tall. An 84" panel would run about 2" above top of window trim.

I'm thinking of panels in a linen that would let some light through (unlined). Probably a bit deeper than the paint color attached (Sherwin Williams Nantucket Dune).

If I did a bench I would want it in gold.