Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dekr8

Bathroom Cabinets-Black Bean or Choc.

dekr8
16 years ago

Has anyone painted their cabinets black bean or a chocolate color? If so could I please see pics. I know Snookums said she was going to awhile back. Would Love to see pics if you have them!

Thanks

Comments (15)

• johnmari
    16 years ago

I used BM Bittersweet Chocolate on the cabinets in the bathroom of my previous house. It looked very good. (Unlike the Lowes Coffee Bean we started that project with, which looked like, well, poop.) This isn't the best picture going but it was a small room and thus difficult to get good pictures.

{{!gwi}}

• patricianat
    16 years ago

See if you can locate that post where Girl with Aspirin had posted her dark chocolate/coffee colored kitchen cabinets. They were fabulous, just as are JohnMari's.

• kyliegirl
    16 years ago

I love this kitchen!

Here is a link that might be useful: Here it is!

• natal
    16 years ago

Whatever happened to girlwithaspirin? She did a great job on her whole house!

• dekr8
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow johnmari, yours turned out fabulous! I don't think I ever saw pictures of this bath, but I do remember your other more retro looking bath, which I loved!

kylie thanks for the link to gwa's kitchen I thought I clipped that before, but when I went to find it, it was no longer there.

I loved her house too & wonder where gwa is. Hopefully happier times for her!

I was looking @ black bean, but I am really looking for johnmari's color so I think I'll check out colorcharts to see how close they are.

Thanks!

• mahatmacat1
    16 years ago

johnmari, may I ask, what kind of applicator did you use with that paint, and did you use anything like floetrol? I'm so seriously getting close to doing this to our powder room. The staining leaves too much oak grain for my taste. (I realize that there will still be grain *texture*, but it will be painted over, not way darker than the rest of the wood, as it is when it's stained)

• snookums
    16 years ago

We haven't done it yet. Life just has gotten the best of us. It is on the list for January or February - we wanted to wait until after the holidays. But yes, we will be using SW Black Bean in oil-based satin.

• bonnie-w
    16 years ago

Hi: I redid my bedroom set this past summer. Its 35 yrs old and the typical medium oak color. A lady from this forum had used Ralph Lauren's Turret Stairs NA32 on her vanity and it looked really good. So I took it to my BM dealer and he mixed it up for me in a oil based satin finish. The Ralph Lauren does not come in an oil base and thats what my dealer suggested (wear on the furniture). I applied two coats with a foam brush (very light sanding in between) I wanted a little more sheen on it since it was bedroom furniture so I sprayed it with a satin varathane. It turned out very well and I get all kinds of compliments on it. To clean it I use a very slightly dampened cloth. So easy.

Bonnie

• citymomof3
    16 years ago

Here's my black bathroom cabinets...

BEFORE

AFTER

BLURRY...SORRY

• johnmari
    16 years ago

dekr8, thank you! We only did that bathroom to sell the house - our original plan for that bath had been very different, but Real Life intruded. It was only finished a few days before the house went on the market and we never used it. Weirdly, the people who eventually bought the house liked this $1500 bathroom as much as they liked the vintage master bath that cost ten times that! Here's another view:

{{!gwi}}

Chicory is the closest SW color to BM Bittersweet Chocolate, but SW will be able to match a BM color exactly if you prefer; going the other way round, the closest BM equivalent to SW Black Bean is Night Shade, which is two strips away from Bittersweet Chocolate and a little cooler in undertone. It is a distinct espresso color, not black.

Flyleft, I admit we got exasperated partway in and handed the entire project over to the painter, along with the rest of the house. We had so little time to work on it along with everything else that needed doing, the schedule to get the house ready for market was so tight, our results were coming out so crappy because we frankly suck at painting to begin with and were trying to hurry to get everything done - we cringed and hired it out. (As it was I dang near killed myself getting that house squared away, between that and the move I don't think I've recovered yet!) IIRC he used a mini-roller for the flat parts and a brush for the, well, not-flat ;-) ones. The quart of Floetrol I bought was returned unopened. He did say it would have looked even better had we been able to pull the cabinetry out and spray it instead of rolling and brushing, but we would have had to take out the entire doorframe to remove the vanity. Naaaaah!

I am amused to see that citymomof3 and I used the exact same sinktop. :-)

• snickysnacker
    16 years ago

Johnmari?? What is your wall color in the bathroom picture you posted? It's very pretty and serene.

• johnmari
    16 years ago

It is "Shale" from Lowes' Eddie Bauer collection.

• jotx
    16 years ago

City Mom of 3...what is the color and brand of paint that you used on your bath cabinets? They look beautiful!! Thanks!

Jo -

• dekr8
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone for generously sharing tips, photos & information! I def. have some good info. to get started & I really appreciate it!

• nami
    16 years ago

City Mom of 3, I too would like to know the brand name and color that you painted your bathroom cabinets. They look absolutely gorgeous.

Did you go with regular latex or enamel?

Thanks in advance,
    Nami

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company