Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nikki_ray_gw

Living Room Layout

nikki_ray
9 years ago

Hi everyone-

We are about to move and since our furniture needs replacing we thought now would be a great time to get new furniture for our living room.

All of the walls are 8' tall and there are two double doors at one end of the living room.

I am open to all ideas - please let me know what you think would look great.

Comments (9)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Two sofas, forming an L. One facing the French doors, the other facing the kitchen wall, on the 20'2" wall; square table in the corner where the two sofas meet. Console table behind the sofa facing the French doors. If you can install an outlet in the floor under that sofa for a lamp or lamps on the console table, that would be ideal.

LARGE square coffee table.

Single comfy chair on a diagonal facing the two sofas, in front of where the TV would be mounted, bottom of TV just high enough so that it doesn't fall below the top of the chair. You can pull the TV out when you want to use it, and push it back against the wall when you do not or someone is sitting in that chair. Alhtough, someone can sit in it with the TV pulled out as well.

Wall-mounted TV on articulating arm on the 13'5" wall, only at the other end of it, but far enough up the wall so that you can open the left French door fully w/o the TV interfering.

• nikki_ray
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you - that will help a lot. I am going to have to look into different types of wall mounts for the TV as well.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Maybe this layout will work for you. It accommodates a fairly good size group of people should be comfortable, well lit & easy to see the flatscreen. Good luck.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I like Beverly's layout batter (sorry, Tib) - first, I would never put a chair in front of the TV, second, I like having the end closer to the foyer mostly open (rather than being blocked by a sofa that faces the double doors. I would add one thing - make the single chair a swivel chair and your family will thank you for it!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

No need to apologize! Lol.

My layout is based on the fact that I like being able to look out windows.

CarolT has her TV on a wall in that way, and it's great.

• pps7
    9 years ago

I really like Beverly's layout. You can do a sofa with a chaise at one end if you want so something a bit better for lounging. Beverly's layout with the chair is better for entertaining .

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I rest my case. - like everything about that room except the chair under the TV :-)

• nikki_ray
    Original Author
    9 years ago

These layouts are perfect! Thank you all so much.

• carolt924
    9 years ago

You have decide what the goal for your room is, ours was to have seating for as many people as possible and not mount the TV over the fireplace. Mounting the TV on the wall with a swivel pull out mount accomplished it.

The majority of the time the TV is pushed back against the wall as
    TV watching is not the main purpose of our room. I like having a TV in the room mostly for the men and college kids to watch sports when their home, otherwise they would be in our basement recreation/family room away from the rest of the family.

I do love having the two couches and big square coffee table with storage for blankets and pillows for when my husband and I or one of our daughters have a movie watching night.

Congrats on your new home nikki_ray, enjoy!

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living