Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ninnyman

Help me pick a Green Ellen Kennon Paint Color for dining room

ninnyman
14 years ago

I have decided to paint my dinning room a nice sage/grey green. I have white trim and a chair rail with picture frame molding below and hardwood floors. I am thinking about Ashen Green or Lichen from Ellen Kennon's line but cannot decide. Does anyone have any photos or experience with these colors?

Comments (18)

• deltabreeze
    14 years ago

Here is lichten. It is greyer and moodier than ashen green. This pic is without a flash, so the pic's color is a tad darker than real life.

• graywings123
    14 years ago

Another photo of EK Lichen:

• hoyamom
    14 years ago

Here is my Ashen Green - I love it!! This is a north facing room so it doesn't get a lot of light and the room is bright bc of the paint. I also put it in my basement bathroom - a room with no windows and it is still beautiful.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    14 years ago

Ashen, Lichen, or even Sage could be good colors to get sample pots and test.

All the pix here are just beautiful!

Hoyamom, your last one looks like it could be in a magazine! You should send it to Ellen for her website (if you haven't already).

• Kathleen McGuire
    14 years ago

A little bit darker, but this is EK Edgewood Green.

• sis3
    14 years ago

Here is our study in Lichen. The ceiling is EK's Pumice. Although the room has natural light from French doors to outdoors the light is never good for photos in there, as the doors open on to a tropical courtyard that is very shady! Still, I hope it helps. I think Lichen is a lovely, soft green.

• ninnyman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you everyone so much!!! the photos are spectacular. I'm definately sold on the Ashen for my dinning room. Hoyamom-your dinning room is gorgeous!!! I never would have thought to put those color draps w/the Ashen Green. It's beautiful.

I will be using Lichen somewhere in my house as well!!!

• hoyamom
    14 years ago

ninnyman - I know what you mean about the gold drapes with the ashen green. They do go great with the color. When my painter looked at the paint he just shook his head and questioned why I was using that color in a north facing room. When he finished he was amazed and that turned out to be his favorite color!
    Funcolors - thanks for the compliment - I am honored that you like my picture bc I respect your opinion on all things color! Actually EK has several of my rooms on her example pages on her website. The mustard seed, aquas, cognac, lavender mist, parchment and ashen green are on there. I also have used wheat and one of her reds for my half bath. I really like her colors.

• scanmike
    14 years ago

hoyamom,

Do you think ashen is too dark for a bedroom? Western light from french doors and two more windows and one north facing window. I Live in NYC (many gloomy winter days)

• mahatmacat1
    14 years ago

deltabreeze, just wanted to say I really like that piece of art on the wall in your pic. Can you tell more about it, e.g. what medium (or is it a print?), who did it, etc.? Thanks!

• deltabreeze
    14 years ago

flyleft -- it is an original oil (or acrylic) on canvas. Sorry, I don't know the painter's name. My parents bought it over 30 years ago. Ironically, I never liked it until I put it on this green wall.

• hoyamom
    14 years ago

scanmike - My windowless basement bathroom was painted in Ashen Green and it isn't that dark. I would suggest you try a small sample of it and see if it is too dark for your purposes.
    I think it is my favorite EK color.

• scanmike
    14 years ago

hoyamom,

is it better to order the larger swatches or sample cans to get a sense of the color in your home.?

• hoyamom
    14 years ago

I went ahead and got the sample pot and painted it on my own sample board so I could move it around.
    Did you check EK's website - there's another picture of my dining room and a few other pics of Ashen Green. Here is a picture of Edgewood Green and Ashen Green compared side by side.

Here is the before and after!! Paint really makes a difference!

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    14 years ago

Oh wow, hoya, you do have some EK mojo goin' on, lol! :D Very gorgeous!

I always get/send sample pots with the large 8.5 x 11 inch hand-painted swatch from EK.

At one time they were offering even LARGER hand-painted swatches, maybe 17" x 22" or something. I can't remember the dimensions but I recall you had to ask for the super-sized swatches I don't think they are listed on the EK website anywhere. (I could be wrong about that tho)

• scanmike
    14 years ago

Edgewood is the top one right? (more brownish)
    ashen the btm?

• hoyamom
    14 years ago

Yes, scan - the browner one is the Edgewood. I was really torn between the two but the Ashen really pulled out the colors in the chairs I had. I hated the fabric on the chairs and then when the walls were painted the chairs really popped and I love them now.

• lisa_mocha
    14 years ago

Beautiful colours and rooms!

I'd being going with Ashen green for a dining room and Lichen for a bedroom. Lichen is so soft... gorgeous!

You can't go wrong with any of these shades!

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH