Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newenglandsara2

non-wood kitchen tabletop options for family of five?

newenglandsara2
9 years ago

Hi All,

We just installed a new kitchen with European beech cabinets and white oak hardwood floors in a natural finish. We have a silvery quartz countertop, glass backsplash and stainless steel appliances to break up the wood, but we still have a lot of wood in our kitchen. In addition, we have a beech kitchen bench plus matching kitchen chairs. We need to buy a new kitchen table (trestle style to accommodate the dining bench), and I am trying to branch away from beech. I have seen zinc tabletops, but I don't like the way they tarnish over time; they feel too rustic for our kitchen. I love the idea of glass, but it is hard to find a glass table that is 6-7 feet wide (on a trestle base) and kid-friendly. Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Sara

Comments (13)

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

By 6-7 feet wide, do you mean 6-7 feet long? Or are you really looking for a 6-7 feet wide top?

• newenglandsara2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Woops! I was thinking of 6-7 feet long and 3 feet wide. I apologize for any confusion! :-)

• teacats
    9 years ago

Maybe this one?

Here is a link that might be useful: Bellacor -- possible dining table ....

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

What about a stainless, laminate or solid surface top? These are mostly wood or MDF, but the MDF must have some sort of finish on it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Room and Board Walker Table

• bpath
    9 years ago

Our laminate table top has seen it all in 20+ years, and will probably see more to come. Holding up well.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I really like the table that Pal posted. What caught my eye is the base of the table looks very user friendly and it says so in the description also.

• nutsaboutplants
    9 years ago

Love the table Teacats posted. Very ergonomic base/leg, and the ice blue-gray should play well with the silvery quartz.

This post was edited by nutsaboutplants on Tue, Dec 16, 14 at 22:57

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

DH made our trestle and benches for an eat in nook. We put laminate on the table top. I knew this would be the craft/lunch/home work place and it needed to take a beating and be stain resistant. We loved it and it held up just as ordered.

• hhireno
    9 years ago

FWIW, I find glass top tables uncomfortably cold to the touch. This might be a concern if you use the table for homework or crafting or computer work.

• LynnNM
    9 years ago

As Hhireno just mentioned, the discomfort of a cold metal, tile, or other hard surface tabletop would be my biggest concern. Especially when children will be using it on a regular basis. Personally, I always have disliked sitting at a table like that for this reason.

• lynninnewmexico
    9 years ago

Have you considered a painted wood or just a dark stained wood table?
    Lynn

• newenglandsara2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow, thanks so much for the terrific ideas so far!! I love the looks of the Bellacor glass-top table and the Room and Board stainless table. My concern with the glass table is that it might be too big for our space. Our bench will be 6 3/4 feet, so I was thinking that we could max out at 7 feet for a table. The Bellacor one is over...but just by three inches. Any thoughts? As for the stainless table, do you think it would be a nightmare with fingerprints? :-)

The laminate top table idea is a good one! We had a white Formica table when I was a kid. It lasted for many, many years. I mentioned it to a friend who came over yesterday. She thinks that solid surface might look too "heavy" in the room since we have glass lighting, a glass backsplash and some glass cabinets along with the beech wood. She is pushing for a glass tabletop.

One last thing....the dining bench will be beech (to match the cabinets), and we have some maple chairs from Saloom that are stained a color that matches the beech cabinets. Would these chairs look funny with glass, stainless and/or laminate? I would love to keep them if I can.

Thanks again!

Sara

• Olychick
    9 years ago

Could you post some pictures? While glass sounds like it could be aesthetically pleasing, it just doesn't sound that friendly for a family table where you describe. Those are going to be some sharp corners and fear of breakage would concern me.

Most people who have wood cabinets and floors also have wood tables and chairs and it's not too much wood. Have you thought of finding a different kind/color of wood that would look good with the beech, but not match it?

Have you considered a laminate that would mimic stainless, if you like that look?

Here is a link that might be useful: Metal look laminate