Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amykath

Cab stain thoughts??

amykath
9 years ago

I just stained my cabinet door sample from Barker a mix between Dark Walnut and Provencial. I used the wood conditioner first and then stained it with one coat. I am wondering if I should wax it after it dries. Likely a clear wax. I love that look.

The bottom of the photo is our wood floors (they really do not look that yellow in person). We will be using carrera marble on our countertops. The island will be this wood. BTW it is alder (no knots). The perimeter will be painted white dove.

Suggestions or thoughts are much appreciated!

Comments (12)

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I know it sure looks blotchy. Wonder how to fix that.

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I could get cherry. I bet that would take a much better stain. They have hard maple. I do not know. Tough decision!

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

What brand stain did you use, and how did you apply it?

• Sheeisback_GW
    9 years ago

I'm guessing you used Minwax. I've never been happy with their products. Maybe check different brands - Old Masters, General Finishes (they make dye stains too, not just gel). Like your colors together, but it does look blotchy.

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

What kind of wood is it and did you sand first? If water got on the wood, it will take the stain darker, but sanding first usually takes care of that. I would be concerned if they arrived to you like that. It doesn't look like normal blotchiness (except the left side of the frame), more like there was something on the door that took the stain differently in those areas.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

I'm not sure I like the combination either. On my monitor it looks a little reddish, especially toward the middle, but that could be due to flash, lighting, etc. Have you tried any of the BM stains in combination? If you can get your cabinet maker to give you some scrap wood, it might be easier to work with a few pieces and combinations of stains than to do a whole door. Yes, you'll have to buy a lot of stain but may be worth it in the long run to get what you want, both on the floor and in the cabs.

• jdez
    9 years ago

To keep the alder from being blotchy, you can put a coat of shellac on it and then sand it before applying the stain.

• ci_lantro
    9 years ago

I've been reading about Charles Neil's wood conditioner for a couple of years now....all positive reviews, very positive reviews that I've seen. I haven't tried it yet myself only because I haven't done any stained wood projects--just clear coat ones. But you might want to investigate it some more. Linking an article to get you started.

Ditto what Sheesharee says about Minwax wood stains. I've used them--the Minwax oil stains--and probably will continue to only because I have several cans of the stuff around that I've purchased from garage sales, etc. But I don't like them much--there are much better products out there. (Minwax oil stains take forever to dry--allow several days before topcoating.)

A couple of notes on you other wood suggestions--Maple is notoriously difficult to stain--you need to look into dyes if you opt for maple. And cherry will go blotchy when stained so you'll need to use a prestain conditioner on cherry.

**Alder is a reallllly soft wood. Alder is only 590 on the Janka scale. By comparison, cherry and soft maple are relatively soft @ 950; red oak is 1290 and hard maple is 1450.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blotch Control

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jdez,

That is interesting you suggest that. I watched about 10 youtube videos this morning and that is exactly what I was planning on doing. Does the shellac require sanding after application? I did not see that part in the video. Also, how many pounds would you use? 1 pound or 2 pounds?

Thanks!
    Amy

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

CL, I watched that one too. I think the shellac might be a better choice (cheaper and easier). Thanks for responding!

• jdez
    9 years ago

Check out this link to a step by step guide that was given to me on GW on finishing alder cabinets. Very helpful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Step by step guide

• jdez
    9 years ago

Duplicate post

This post was edited by JDez on Wed, Dec 10, 14 at 12:27