Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do you have Portmeirion Sophie Conran

Posted by funkyart (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 25, 12 at 15:17

I have recently switched to the white Sophie Conran dishes for every day. I have 6 place settings which is fine for now but have only a few serving pieces and none of the specialty dishes. I am buying the pasta bowls .. and considering the rice bowls. The round roasting pan looks useful for lots (though I am not sure it's a good size for roasts). Are there any pieces you especially love or recommend?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do you have Portmeirion Sophie Conran

oh well.. I am adding a post to move this down the list. I know many here use corelle and french/italian countryside (which I also looked at). But I was hoping *someone* had some experience with these pieces (many of which are slightly odd shapes). My niece told me they are perfect for me.. "classic with a touch of unusual".

o

I don't have these dishes, but if you're looking for serving pieces, I would get pieces to serve things I had cooked on the stove top and oven to table pieces for casseroles or lasagna. For roasting actual beef roasts or chicken I would use my metal roasting pan and transfer the roast or chicken to a serving platter. I like a roasting pan that I can put on a burner to deglaze the pan for gravy. Anything you actually roast in is going to be greasy and have brown bits all over the bottom when you remove it from the oven, so it's not likely something you'd bring to the table.

o

I think the roasting dish for this set isn't very practical for roasting-- but it is very adaptable otherwise. I don't make roasts all that often but when I do, I'd use metal.

The pieces are somewhat oddly shaped and oddly sized.. so I'll likely use them intermixed with other pieces and for purposes other than they are named. For instance.. this is the roasting dish.. 11" roundish. I'd be more likely to roast in a metal roasting pan or a cocotte/dutch oven.

Thanks for the input!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here