Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Layered cozy bed without a duvet/comforter

Sueb20
9 years ago

If you wanted to create a cozy, layered, maybe slightly bohemian but luxurious bed, what layers would you include?

I need layers because now that I'm 50, I'm throwing off the comforter in the middle of the night. I'm thinking I need to replace the comforter with a couple of layers -- like a blanket and a quilt or coverlet. Our whole room is gray and ivory so I could get colorful or stay neutral. I saw a photo of a bed with a neutral quilt topped with a faux fur blanket that looked cozy and sort of funky...just looking for other ideas/inspiration.

PS. DH is requesting flannel sheets. Any favorites?

Comments (16)

• Boopadaboo
    9 years ago

I have taken to buying pillowcases (the two packs) when they are on sale from cuddledown. They have some great sales. Having mix and match pillowcases really adds to the boho look to me and makes me happy! :)

they don't seem to have a big selection on sale right now, but I have gotten numerous pairs for $12 and under. Then I buy the sheets seperate (flat and fitted) also on sale. I love to mix and match. :)

I don't really layer the rest so not much help there. I just have a white down comforter with no cover that I wash in the machine.

Here is a link that might be useful: cuddledown

• teacats
    9 years ago

something like this bed?

look for a solid-colored quilt and shams .....

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinterest -- pin with cozy neutral bedding

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Flannel sheets, a down blanket, and a coverlet and I'm good from October through June. I bought the blanket from the Company Store. Check their clearance section.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Sue....I am in the process of updating our bedroom replacing the drapes, bed skirt and shams. I have a plain white quilt and have just added another quilt with a pattern folded at the bottom of the bed and matching shams. I can always pull up the second quilt if I get cold. It is a more modern pattern, even though it is a quilt. I have had comforters, duvets, etc. but I now prefer quilts/coverlets. They are lighter and can be layered more easily and I like the more tailored look....comforters always look messy to me with the lumps and bumps and duvet covers I find to be a PITA altogether.

I prefer jersey knit (t-shirt) sheets to flannel because they don't pill ..however, I did just purchase flannel sheets from Lands End at 40% off for the spare bedrooms and they do seem very nice. I also purchased jersey sheets from LE for our room but they are on back order so can't comment on them yet.

• Sujafr
    9 years ago

If you're throwing off the covers in the middle of the night as you said, IMHO flannel sheets would drive you up the wall, at least they would me. Get DH a heated mattress pad with separate controls for each side. He'll love the warm bed, and you'll love it that you don't have the heat on your side.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    9 years ago

We use the duvet cover without the comforter inserted.

• sas95
    9 years ago

If you do go the flannel sheet route, the Amazon Pinzon sheets are great. Super soft, they wear well, and they don't pill.

But if you sleep hot, you will probably be exceedingly hot in flannel sheets.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinzon flannel sheets on Amazon

This post was edited by sas95 on Sat, Dec 27, 14 at 6:18

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

Would you consider going Scandi style, to each her own comforter? You could get a few light blankets and he could get a duvet?

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tea cats, love that photo. Which makes me realize that texture is key.

Boop, I like non-matching shams and pillowcases too! Usually I have plain ivory sheets and various shams so I can mix and match.

I'm thinking no flannel sheets now! Heated mattress pad with separate controls sounds like a possibility.

• alex9179
    9 years ago

I purchased a wool mattress pad that saved my sanity. Helps DH feel warm and keeps me cool. Never would have believed that possible! I have a sheet, empty duvet cover, and a quilt for DH on colder nights.

The thought of flannel is making me break out in a sweat, right now!

I've been revamping/testing our guest room and found it quite chilly during cold snaps with only a cotton blanket. I ordered a wool comforter from Amazon that fits into a clearance duvet from West Elm. I'm going to test it in the next few days, but I have high hopes that it will keep differing people comfortable just like the mattress cover on our bed. Tonight the low is 64 and Sunday it will be 39. I'll report back. DH won't be happy that I'm bunking in there again, but I've made a few discoveries that I need to address before our guests stay overnight.

Gosh! I didn't even address the bohemian part! That just happens as you mix linens/pillows/covers between sets/rooms.

This post was edited by alex9179 on Fri, Dec 26, 14 at 20:23

• User
    9 years ago

I like the heat way down at night too, it's better for sleeping and the sheet and duvet or duvet alone are perfect. If a thermostat is 70 degrees or above there's probably no need for much more than a sheet and warm pajamas.

Flannel sheets are warm for really, really cold nights, but the thing that bugs me about them is that I don't turn over easily in the flannel bed....my cotton pajamas and the cotton flannel are like Velcro together!

• Gracie
    9 years ago

You'll sleep better without the restriction of pajamas or a nightgown. Flannels are warm when you get in, so you don't need PJs.

• amykath
    9 years ago

I usually use just two or three quilts. However, I live in Texas. I get horrible night sweats and always keep my house cool at night.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Our bedroom is on its own zone and we never even turn on the heat unless it's really super cold, so we are starting with a cool space! I have downgraded from flannel pj's to cotton, too. I have two cotton quilts and a cotton blanket so I may ditch the comforter tomorrow and start experimenting with layers of quilts/blanket. My quilts are more summery in appearance so I'm eyeballing some of RH's quilts that are on sale right now...

• tinam61
    9 years ago

We have never used our top cover (comforter, duvet, coverlet or whatever you use) to actually cover up with. It's used in making the bed and that is it. We pull it down off the bed each night (we have a chest at the end of the bed). You may want to do that and then concentrate on sheets/blankets. We also sleep in a cool room and either no pjs or something very light weight. I like to lounge in pjs, but I can't sleep in that much clothing. We do like flannel sheets in the coldest months and just a blanket or quilt added.