Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redsmycolor

Red Dining Room Suggestions

redsmycolor
15 years ago

Hello ladies, This is my first post on this site , although I have enjoyed reading & browsing the post for quite some time.

I love love love the color red. I love red roses , and have quite a collection of Royal Albert Old Country Roses...I am wanting to paint my dining room a rich deep red. No oranges or burgundy's, just a true rich red. I would like to hear from others who have painted red rooms , if you love it , hate it , would / not do it again ??. My furniture is 1930's English oak . I am considering white plantation shutters ( future ) after the holidays maybe.

I probably would not use the valances with those. Maybe changing the mirror over the buffet to an oak mirror. Possibly re-upholstering all dining chair seats. Give me some thoughts, ideas, input, and I am a tough one so don't worry about speaking your thoughts. I won't be offended.

Lets talk girls ~ reds my color

http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x299/vfrankens/?action=view&current=diningroom.jpg

http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x299/vfrankens/?action=view&current=diningroom2.jpg

http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x299/vfrankens/?action=view&current=diningroom3.jpg

Comments (33)

• powermuffin
    15 years ago

Your links don't work for me.
    Diane

• creekylis
    15 years ago

I can't see your links, but I will tell you that I and a few others here have used Lowes' Valspar Bangkok Rust and LOVE it. It is what you describe... a true, rich, dark red with no blue or orange undertones. The paint chip at the store appears to be a bit on the orange side, but none of us have found that to be true on the wall. I tried it out of desperation after trying 8 other reds that turned burgundy to me once on the wall. I've had it in my kitchen now for nearly a year and am still very pleased.

This pic gives you a peek at the color...

{{!gwi}}

Good luck!

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    15 years ago

On page 10 of this forum I have a thread titled "small changes, which is better" which has two pictures that show part of my red dining room. At one point I had the somewhat crazy idea of putting some golden swirls over the paint, just to make it different.

Ingrid

• dixiedo
    15 years ago

We used Cajun Spice by Behr. I love this color. We were going to repaint our family room after we took down draperies and patched up our wall. I sat there with about 30 paint chips and finally went to Home Depot and got another quart of the Cajun Spice to paint the patches. I love this color too much to paint over it =)

• appymtngirl
    15 years ago

Here's a pic of my red dining room. It's Red Bay by Sherwin Williams. I love the color. I occasionally think it's a little too much for my country farmhouse- maybe a little formal- but I love the color too much to paint over it. The jagged edge at the ceiling isn't our color statement- we just didn't paint where we were going to put the crown. :) Sorry if the pic comes out too big- still learning how to insert pics.

• redsmycolor
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all your responses, and I do love both the reds shown here. My hubby is a stickler for Sherwin Williams paint, so that is the brand we will most likely use. He has mentioned Behr was a good quality paint also . Here are my images , sorry if they are to big , I haven't got the pic thing all figured out yet. I am concerned about the laminate flooring , and furniture making it too dark. I do have quite a bit of light coming into the room as it is adjacent to my great room, kitchen, and breakfast area. My floor plan is very open, so it may not be a problem at all.
    I also feel it looks a little " cluttered ". As I grow older I tend to find myself leaning more towards cleaner , simpler decor . I do love my reds , and sometimes I think I overdo my decor. I get started , and just can't stop putting " stuff " in my rooms. Give me some thought on tweaking his room.

{{!gwi}}

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

I used RL Hunting Coat Red in my teen DS room. It is a very nice rich red.

My all time favorite red though is Duron Roasted Pepper! I had this in a former home. It is a beautiful red.

Here is a link that might be useful: Duron Roasted pepper

• mpwdmom
    15 years ago

I haven't used it but I want to: Eddie Bauer Cabin Red, pic linked.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cabin Red

• mpwdmom
    15 years ago

Forgot to add, you can see the EB swatches at Lowe's. :)

• lorriekay
    15 years ago

OHHHHH now you guys have got me going again. I have been wanting to paint a wall Red for a long time. It is one long wall that is common to my Entry and my Living room.
    That was my original plan and everyone keeps poo pooing it. My dh for one says I can do what I want, but that he really doesn't want to look at red while watching the t.v.
    Huh?
    Then another relative was saying the same thing. That would be distracting behind the t.v. and that she agrees with dh.. she wouldn't like to look at it.

She was also saying that with the Red color wall my Black Buffet table in the entry wouldn't POP against it. ..

BUT now I see YOUR pics. Wow...
    Creekylis .. the Bangkok Rust is gorgeous. You have black against it. Your valances are black. Even your oak cabinets is the same color as my oak wainscotting

And mtngirl .. Your black buffet looks gorgeous against the red.

Hmmm I think I will stick to my guns and prove these people wrong.

• mommyto4boys
    15 years ago

I have morocan red (BM)in my dining and love it:)

• User
    15 years ago

My dining room is Chili Pepper by Benjamin Moore.

• gk5040
    15 years ago

Mine is SW Cajun Red. Its more of an orange red.

• shellfish
    15 years ago

My dining room in BM Onadaga Clay.

• patches_02
    15 years ago

Love the red's trying to get the nerve to do that. I have one long wall that goes down the kitchen into dining room. But i'm thinking red just on this long wall but then what color do i use on the other walls to go with it. My house is a very old county house with the dark oak woodwork.It's hard to find paint that looks good with the dark oak.

• pamelas_kitchen
    15 years ago

This is Saffron from Devine paint. It looks very different depending on the light and season--sometimes blue based, sometimes nearly brick.
    {{!gwi}}New Album 12/7/08 3:07 PM
    {{!gwi}}From New Album 12/7/08 3:07 PM

• caroline94535
    15 years ago

Folks...your rooms are so absolutly beautiful! Every one of them. I am in awe.

AppyMountian Girl and Creekylia...you've solved my office delima. Even though my room/house is not nearly so grand as these shown, your rooms have "the look" I want.

I can see my office being repainted Bangkok Rust or Red Bay and the furniture and frames going black. I'm getting quart samples tomorrow.

Again, every one of these pictures posted are an inspiration!

• carmin_casa
    15 years ago

Speaking OF - RED

I need HELP with Paint Colors for my New Kitchen and Dining Room .....Please

I have no color at all Yet to be determined. I have just had my drywall guys finish today with the last coat of primer.
    I had a wall removed to open up my Kitchen to my Dining room and had a Wall with arch put in - to separate my dining room from my living area.

Its a Beautiful Arch. I have So many Windows and Huge thick heavy window frames interior. The Sun just blasts into the Kitchen/Dining area now. It is on the South/East Corner of the house.

pic of cab wood and counter and sorta the floor - see my other post on Quick step flooring ouch.

This is ONE and the only cab installed yet its in a alcove

this pic is of the new dining area with the Arch and Windows

Looks huge in the photo - but its not

I stripped all the old wall paper off to find loverly Cheese colored Lead paint ...the cheese is now gone, and skim coated

Not the greatest photo of the other end - which is the actual kitchen.
    Now the pink board is replaced with a real window and there is a new structure to the right to hold my Fridge

My puppy weighs 7lbs so you have to imagine she is Dinky in this room 2nd pic has my Kitty in it and he is only 16lbs ..Small rooms just so you can figure within the Eye

The bottom photos are My Actual Dining Room Set and Buffet, they are sitting in storage in my living area. The photos are from the Gal who refurbished them " Her website". I am going to change the seat covers " Brooke Knows" gawd she is gonna hate me for saying it hear and on my blog. I love MY Furniture though - Immensely.

Brooke she does it all by herself by Hand - her site if anyone wants to view is www.treschicboutiqueonline.com
    She is Amazing and I adore her.

But I need Help with Paint omg.

I have these Incredible ice washed Red merlot cabs and this fantastic incredible furniture. And this Beautiful new ARCH that I SO Excited about.
    My house was built in 1925 so it has lots of character inside. Lots of other stuff too that I have ripped my hair out over ... much yes.

Tons of Windows, Tons of Sunlight and deep Red ice washed cabinets ...things that make you say WHOA ...Hello.

Paint color suggestions any one dare?

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

Carmin, you might want to post your question as a separate thread so as not to hijack the OP's thread. There are many great people here who would love to help you too! Good luck!

• johnatemp
    15 years ago

Kmcg, we must be related somehow....sure your not in the South??!! I have also used & loved Duron's Roasted pepper!! I had in a DR 2 houses ago, with a tapestry on the wall & these gorgeous - gold & creme buffalo silk check drapes - way full. The buyer bought the drapes on the spot - wished I had drug them with me & not sold them but she gave me what I paid for them.

For a true red - BM confederate red is very pretty. A friend did a kitchen in that color & it was gorgeous.

Redsmycolor, your DR is beautiful - so nice & big. You could always add a nice rug to break up the wood. As far as accessories - when you paint that is a great time to tweak. Start by bringing back ONLY the things that you really love. I can't really see the color of your wood....but looks like red would be nice in there - I'd stay away from blue based reds, thou.

Smiles:)

• snickysnacker
    15 years ago

Hi Redsmycolor- After painting my kitchen red twice (DD thinks I am insane!) I have found the PERFECT RED. It is Sherwin Williams Crabby Apple. I currently have Eddie Bauer Log Cabin Red up on the walls and I like it, but Crabby Apple is definitely the perfect shade, I think, for every type of lighting. Trust me, I have done about 30 swatches of all contenders. Crabby Apple is not too pink, too orangey or too purple. I would post pics of my kitchen, but either the camera or my monitor makes my kitchen look absolutely garish.
    Good luck. Keep us posted!

• lorisplace_nonnie
    15 years ago

kswl, love your dining room set. is it antique. ive been looking for one like yours, if i like china cabinet ,dont like chairs.i would like to know were you purcased if new.i know its traditional,love wood strips on front of glass.thanks lori lorifiorelli@aol.com

• redsmycolor
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the input ! I have picked up a swatch of Valspar Posh Red that looks like what I want . Here are some bigger pics of my room, so maybe you gals can see better. I also love the Bangkok rust , but it does look on rust side on the swatch . Excuse all the clutter !!

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• hairco
    15 years ago

I have the same china and i just painted my dinning room
    a golden color

• katie8422
    15 years ago

Has anyone heard that red is the color that is most likely to show flaws? I was all ready to paint my DR red after seeing all these gorgeous photos, but I fear that my patched, century old plaster walls will look terrible.
    Redsmycolor, did you take the leap yet?

• patricianat
    15 years ago

I guess it depends, but I always heard yellow is the color to show flaws worse but I understand why red might if the walls were not properly primed with the Pepto-Bismol color first.

• redsmycolor
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I haven't painted yet. We are going to have the entire house painted due to soot damage from gas logs. We are waiting on the manufacturer to settle our claim. We will find out after feb 12 how it will go. I will be using Sherwin Williams , and am leaning heavily toward Red Bay. I can't wait!! Will post pics asap.

• totallyblessed
    15 years ago

soot damage? Oh dear. :o(
    I just wanted to share that I used SW Crabby Apple in our dining room. It's a love/hate relationship. I LOVE it at night. It's gorgeous in low light. But in the bright light of day (that room faces south) it looks burgundy. And I'm with you... not a burgundy girl but a RED girl. So I'm disappointed with my Crabby Apple. It doesn't look burgundy on my chip, and didn't look burgundy until the 3rd coat of paint. So I'd steer clear of that one if you aren't shopping for burgundy. :o~
    I'll be redoing our dining room, eventually. I've still got a few rooms with just primer on them... yikes. Decisions, decisions.
    Can't wait to see your new, RED walls.
    Oh, and kswl, your hutch (and entire dining room) are gorgeous. i love your space!!

• oceanna
    15 years ago

Redsmycolor, have you looked at the Dining Rooms thread and the Reds thread in our Gallery? I love your china, btw. I have a lot of red, too... red Victorian sofa and chair, burgundy in my DR rug and chairs.

Carmin, your furniture is darling. Have you looked at the Cottage Decor thread in our Gallery? I think you will love it and get many good ideas from there. Also see the kitchen, dining room, living room, etc. threads.

• lorriekay
    15 years ago

Well .. since this old thread has been *bumped* up .. I can update my post and say that I DID go ahead and paint my foyer with the Bangkok Rust and I just love it. I don't know why I was worrying about it so much - glad I took the plunge :)

• Lazarus St. Bernadine
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Seven years later, allow me say---"Go for it!" lol I just decorated a home where the living room which has a fireplace and a cathedral ceiling is opposite the dining area with a standard 8' ceiling. So we painted the fireplace wall in the LR with SW Cajun Red ( SW Ecru on the side walls), then we installed a chair rail in the dining area with the Cajun Red above the rail. The bottom of the rail we installed ready to order picture frame moldings from Home Depot, then painted that entire lower area a semi-gloss white. We also used Ecru in the Kitchen which opens from the LR on one side. Ecru is a perfect match not only with Cajun Red, but also with the Silestone Quartz in the "Zirix" pattern selected for the countertops. We did the backsplash with polished copper subway tiles which look stunning with the copper sink and bronze faucet.

• PRO
    Divine Blinds, Shutters & More
    8 years ago

I painted this room that looks onto my dining room, (the dining is yellow). I loved it for years, then finally grew tired of it. But, I wanted to show you how pretty it was, and I loved the white shutters against the red!