Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swentastic81

Rug and Couch Questions

**deep breath**

We're finally getting more unpacked and to the point where I can start thinking about the couch and rug for the LR. I'm struggling a little bit with the size/shape of both.

I actually adore our current couch (of course it fit perfectly at the old house!) and would love to make it work. First question - does the current size and configuration of the couch make you twitchy? I originally hated it but now its kinda growing on me.
I can remove one small section and make it equal on either side but I can't make the L-shape match the windows. Considered buying the same couch in different configuration....

Second, I would love to find a great big persian style rug but wonder if that would be too much? I kinda like the creamy shag we're using as a placeholder (I know, way too small) but worry with a black dog and future kids if that's really a good idea. Also, we have kind of a busy tribal rug in the adjoining DR. The colors are dusty reds and blues and you will be able to see them both from pretty much everywhere. I walked it off and if I want the rug to sit under the side chairs, I think it'll have to be 9 x 14 which may complicate things due to pricing... I also like the idea of layering rugs. Very pretty and boho chic but maybe not really practical?

A couple notes:

Most everything we own has been collected or inherited - I rarely buy new things to decorate with so please don't judge too harshly. I have thin skin. I'll never have a magazine house and I know it.

I've got a bigger square Lane table for the LR just waiting to pick it up. Also, the gallery on the wall isn't finished (there are a couple things still packed away I can't find but it was driving me nuts to have bare walls). I'm definitely nowhere near finished with this room. Or any room for that matter haha.

The whole room is wonky because the fireplace isn't symmetrical so that's also a consideration for the configuration of the furniture.

Finally, I have to be relatively budget conscious. I'm not really one to spend tons of money on decorating (I prefer vacations, thank you!) save for the occasional indulgence.

Any input or ideas you might have would be much appreciated!

Comments (51)

• patiencenotmyvirtue
    9 years ago

Love the vibe your home has. I think your couch works well, but if you want one larger, that style is great! And your current coffee table, well, I'm drooling. I've been looking for one similar, but haven't found THE one yet.

Agree with holly-kay regarding your current rug.

Smile at your room. You've got a good thing going.

• roarah
    9 years ago

I really like your furnishings in your new surroundings. It looks as though they were purchased for the house. If you are going to replace the rug the only change I would make is in size. The furniture grouping can handle a larger scale rug but I am also certain,after the stress of moving, a large scale vacation would most likely offer a much more refreshing perspective than a larger rug would:).
    Congrats on your new lovely home!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

I like what you have, but if I were going to spend any money, I would select a lounge chair that might be a bit more loungey, (maybe the lounge chair that matches the sectional sofa) keep the wood frame chair and move the curved bucket lounge chair to another location.

A larger shag cream carpet is available at Costco if you have an account there, or you could simply try placing the rug on a 45 degree angle which will cover more area on your floor.

Address the exposed wires of the TV and you're done.

• Swentastic Swenson
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well I appreciate the compliments and thanks for the input. The electrician promised me an outlet behind the TV any day now...

Anniecat - I found the table at Habitat for Humanity restore for $65 if you'll believe it. They seem to be everywhere here! Watch out for two different versions of the acclaim - I prefer the ones with the brass feet vs the plain old painted black ones.

roarah - I think you're more right than you know! Screw the rug... Belize here I come!

Beverly - I didn't even know Costco sold rugs! I'll have to check them out. I never considered putting it on a 45 degree angle - maybe I'll try that when I get home! As for the lounge chair I'll have to keep my eyes out for something suitable. Do you have a recommendation for shape?

Holly-kay - You are sweet. I'm so happy you were able to have that time with your DH and family and its nice to know there are other people out there who feel the same as I do. There is nothing more precious than memories. Except sleep maybe lol

Now that I look at the pics again, the DR paint looks black. I promise it's not. They're a very deep indigo.

This post was edited by Swentastic on Wed, Dec 3, 14 at 17:48

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

The sofa is actually perfect for the room. The problem is that it's backward! The long section would do better under the long window with the short section under the short section.

I think you need either a much larger rug or, if the same size, a Flokati rug would look awesome, IMO. The rug you have there now is kind of flat and doesn't really compliment that gorgeous wood floor.

• Swentastic Swenson
    Original Author
    9 years ago

tibbrix I thought the exact same thing. Everything is shifted to the right by one cushion too many like my couch is slinking away and out the front door. The way the couch is built won't allow me to change it so I'd have to get another one very similar and that just kills me. The rug was a freebie to assess color I'd def get something bigger and the longer pile would be nicer I agree. A flokati would be great but how do they wear? If it's anything like a sheep skin it might not work w the dog although i guess I'd have the same issue w the shag.

• finallyhome
    9 years ago

I love what you've got going on in the room. No suggestions for improvement.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

You have a very lovely place!
    We had a flokati, which lasted a couple of years, just really, really hard to clean. basically the vacuum cleaner ate it up over the years. I have no idea how to clean a larger one that can't be shaken out. Also had a smaller one, which I could wash in a bath tub.
    With respect to the sofa, could you put a sofa table behind the longer side to move it further out, so the shorter side extends further?
    Have fun in Belize. Maybe you can pick up some cool weaving or wood crafts.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

i havent read a word anyone said.. including OP ... so bear with me ... lol ...

its dull ... put in a wild red ottoman carpet ...

it will spice up the floor ...

and the guy whose face is blotted out... will be happy ...

EVERYTHING ... including.. out the windows.. IN THIS pic.. is grey ...

spice it up ...

and on a bright sun shiny day .... ;.... the room will pop ...

see link for melodic inspiration ... there is no color in your room room ....

and when its all green outside.... red compliments green on the color wheel ....

ken

ps: a bowl of bacon would make it all perfect .....

Here is a link that might be useful: i dont really understand why this makes me happy ....

• Swentastic Swenson
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I do like the idea of a console table behind the couch and when we first moved in I did have it pulled out a bit into the room and liked it. it would also be nice because then I could get a plant or a lamp back there - otherwise it's hard to read sitting on the couch unless you're on one end or the other. Maybe if I 86 the short section and pull it out a bit that would help - definitely will give it a shot this weekend and thank you for the suggestions!

Ken - I am enamored with the idea of a really gorgeous turkish rug in there and if I could afford one in the size I'd need, that would be my first choice. Unfortunately everywhere I look those rugs are thousands of dollars! On another thread marcolo suggested some on Onekingslane, and I did find a few on there I like. Other than ebay are there good resources for reasonably priced rugs? And yes, DH would love a bowl of bacon right next to his banjo pickin' chair! ;-)

• Christy Bell
    9 years ago

I like the set up of the room as it is. I think the sectional works great. The chairs seem a bit too far away, so I think a larger rug would bring everything together. I would certainly get a pattern on the rug - you could go as bold as you want, though I think a more neutral toned rug would last longer in the end, especially if you change out your sectional. I'm not a fan of the small rug in front of the chairs. I prefer to add pattern/color in chairs and accessories. Add some colored pillows on the sectional.

I love the way you have your art and the style of your home - well done!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Pulling them out will make the room seem smaller, but that's okay. I think a more enclosed gathering spot, by a fire, watching TV, or for conversation, is always a good idea. These rooms are for LIVING in, not for admiring the size of the room! Lol.

I'd pull them in quite a bit, actually, pretty close to the FP. You'll want a decent walkway behind them, of course, and then room to do something at the window, likely some kind of table?

Agree w/Ken re: Oriental/Persian rugs. IMO, they are always the best choice for any room, but only the genuine rugs, and of course then you're doling out a ton (which they're worth, if you can afford to actually do it).

I also think a wool-blend "sisal" rug would be beautiful in that room and compliment all the natural elements you've got going on in there, namely the floor and the FP. I'll put a pic up on a second post.

but first, a beautiful landscape print for your wall, Banjo Guy, and Ken:

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Wool blend sisal with a pattern for some texture and interest

• amykath
    9 years ago

That is a great rug Tibbrix!

• Swentastic Swenson
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Haha tibbrix where did you ever find that bacon landscape?! Hilarious!

I like the rug too - the texture is great! I do like the idea of a natural fiber rug if I can't have a persian. Would something with stripes the same direction as the floor grain be weird? I can't photoshop so it's hard to picture. Maybe like this one? The colors are a little intense but you get the idea.

For some reason I don't like rugs with cloth borders sewn on and much of what I find in sisal seems to be just that. Am I missing a search term?

• Swentastic Swenson
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What would this rug be called? I covet it....

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Maybe jute?

Notice the one I posted doesn't have the cloth binding you do often see on sisal rugs. It's just bound itself.

Found this too, which I think would be gorgeous on your floor, esp. in the ginger, second the barley. It's a tweed! So cool! And this is a wool blend. You want a wool blend, I think, so that it's a bit softer on your feet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tweed wool sisal

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

That rug you covet is gorgeous. Where did you find the pic? So long as there was no eating/food near itâ¦you wouldn't want crumbs or liquids getting down in those crevices, I would think.

I don't care for the stripe for your floor, or the color, for that matter. The room has such a soft, sleek feel to it, and I think a monochrome look but with different textures would be beautiful, then get little splashes of color with flowers, paintings, doodadsâ¦.

• Swentastic Swenson
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pinterest of course! I tried to search "braided seagrass" but that doesn't seem to be a thick enough fiber.

The more I look at the stripes the more I agree - too much. I think our coffee table will have a lot going on with it anyway and it would be nice to have something neutralish (monocrome) so it doesn't get lost.

TWEED WOOL SISAL!? I didn't even know such a creature existed! How pretty - I really really like that last one you posted. The texture is great!

Here is a link that might be useful: Blog where I found that rug

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Yes, and that is a real closeup on the pattern. Did you click on the link and see what it looks like from a more normal distance? I think ti's absolutely perfect for your floor! Esp. in the ginger.

I also meant to mention that that site has many options for binding it, likely including just binding it w/o that cotton border. But, they DO offer that kind of border in suede and leather which, again, I think would be perfect for that room with the rustic but contemporary elements of stone, wood, and the sisal. The combo would be so beautiful, IMO. So, for example, the tweed in ginger with a fawn sued border.

Here it is with the fawn sued border. I'll post one with the marble suede border as well.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Ginger and marble suede

• Swentastic Swenson
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LOL I think this is a case of "if you have to ask, you can't afford it."

I just selected all my options for that rug. $6,163

I've seen leather woven rugs before too and they're cheap! I keep getting stuck on stripes though.

I wish I could photoshop this easily....

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

You have got to be kidding me! 6 grand????

I'd keep looking at wool blend sisals, maybe bound w/o anything.

That rug looks flimsy to me. What is it made of? It also looks impossible to vacuum. I'd definitely stay away from fringe. JMO, of course.

Can you tell us your budget for a rug? That would help a lot!

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Thu, Dec 4, 14 at 14:24

• Swentastic Swenson
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think you're right for $300 that rug would probably be flimsy - it's leather and cotton. Can you imagine how wonderful it would smell though?!

I don't really have a budget for rugs - inevitably I end up falling in love with the most expensive one I can find though, I can tell you that much. I'd say $1000 would be tippy-tops unless I found some ridiculously gorgeous antique that I couldn't live without. And even at that, it would take a bit of trickery and bribery to get it past DH.

Here is a link that might be useful: Leather rug

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

How about this, a Safavieh, on sale, no tax and free shipping

8X10 = $799

9X12 = $1,079

Here is a link that might be useful: Safavieh Bohemian

• Swentastic Swenson
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oooh tibbrix I think you're on to something - I really like it! I emailed that designer about her braided fiber rug. I'm sure it's also $200 a square yard, though. Will let you know if she responds.

Thanks for spending time helping me figure this out :):)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Did you go to the link and over over the pic? It gives you a close up of the weave. I think that rug has the striping you're looking for, plus the natural weave. Gorgeous on your floor by your FP.

Not sure what you mean by "that designer about her braided fiber rug." Who is "her?"

• Swentastic Swenson
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I did! I even already sent the link to DH! I would love to touch it because it looks surprisingly soft. I'm currently pouring over all the rest of their rugs.

Sorry I should have been more specific - the designer who did the room including the rug I covet. Her name is Julie Hillman and it's a house in the Hamptons so I can pretty much guarantee it's too rich for my blood.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Oh, I see. The large-weave rug way above. Great. Let me know what she says.

As for the Safavieh, a good idea is to order the 3 X 5 for $59 so you can see it and feel it in person and on the floor, then send it back either for a refund or for the size you want.

I'd move on this, though, or another, due to the sale. Some are already sold out.

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Thu, Dec 4, 14 at 15:18

• Swentastic Swenson
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh I really like the idea of ordering a small one!

Much to my chagrin, I think i might have found it (or one like it) on the RH website for exactly my budget. What are the chances??

EDIT: lol answered my own question. Slim to none. Its sold out. &%$*!

Here is a link that might be useful: RH Braided Hemp Rug

This post was edited by Swentastic on Thu, Dec 4, 14 at 16:17

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Good! I'm w/u on RH, and the Safavieh, IMO, is better for your room.

If you go ahead and order the small one, put a pic up of it on your floor when you get it. Also if you hear from the designer with the large-weave rug.

• athomeinvagw
    9 years ago

I really like what you have done, especially that dining room. I think your first idea of a Persian is a better fit than most of the above rugs as they will blend into the floor. What you have now could be turned in the opposite direction for the short term while you search for the best fit. Having two different patterned rugs that can be seen together is pretty common and helps add interest. Would love to see more of your house!

This post was edited by athomeinva on Thu, Dec 4, 14 at 17:19

• Swentastic Swenson
    Original Author
    9 years ago

athomeinva thank you! The DR was terrifying and I'm still getting used to it.

You make a good point about blending in with the floor - I hadn't really considered that. I did a little mock up (my paint skills are horrible) and a persian (just grabbed one quick off the internet) does add some more color and character than the sisal. My main issue with persians is that I don't want a cheap knockoff but the real thing would be soooo costly!

{{gwi:2141573}}

{{gwi:2141574}}

And here are some unsolicited pics of the DR. The fixture was my birthday present from DH.

Unfortunately I didn't consider how dark this was going to make things at night. I'm still working on getting some recessed lights over the dresser and one for the artwork which I'm hoping will help. The paint color doesn't photograph well - looks black but isn't.

The rug matches perfectly the VT slate tile throughout the house. Here's my dirty hippie plant room right off the DR.

EDIT: Whoops! You'll have to excuse me. I left a little "millennial" showing in the last pic ;)

This post was edited by Swentastic on Thu, Dec 4, 14 at 18:57

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

The monochrome suggestion of the Safavieh rug is intentional. Their floor is so unusual and beautiful, IMO it calls for a similar color but different texture for the rug.

There's a regular poster here who has a gorgeous contemporary living room I'm thinking of, and I can't think of who it is. The room has a FP at one end, slanted ceilings, cream walls, and a gorgeous rug that is camels and creams with stripes. I'm hoping she sees this and puts a pic of her rather monochromatic contemporary room up here for swentastic to see.

• athomeinvagw
    9 years ago

Wow, those pics do not disappoint, your dining room is awesome! And love your plant room, the perfect dirty hippie hang out (my youngest actually thinks hippie is a bad word, how did that happen?) On that, a friend and I once parked beside Dave Matthews at a Phish show... such a long time ago but seems like just yesterday.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Swen, your living room is my kind of living room. To me it's warm and inviting and having that big window makes it perfect. I would hang out there all the time. I can't advise much about a rug or how to place your sectional, but I really like your house.

• Swentastic Swenson
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks linelle - we spend a lot of time in here. We love to sit on the couch and watch the creatures in the yard. Even in the winter there's something interesting going on - we've got some bird feeders right by the yew outside the window. It's really relaxing!

athomeinva - nice to see a kindred spirit around here! Next to Dave Matthews? Seriously? What a surreal experience that must have been! Sounds like you and I would get along just dandy :) We had tix to the lock'n festival out in VA this year (are you close to Arrington?) but got a refund when Bob Weir backed out. It was a blessing in disguise because we were closing on the house the same day the festival was starting. Next year tho!

Back to the topic at hand. I've been stewing over the rug since last night and I'm going to order that sample Tibbrix suggested. You make very valid points and I'd love to see that other poster's room! With as much as we've got going on in the DR the monochrome to contrast would be neat. Plus I've been daydreaming about rubbing my feets over that rug! And who am I kidding? I'm too much of a klutz to own a precious antique persian. I'd rather pay less for something I won't be heartbroken over if/when it gets ruined. Then if I get tired of it down the road, I can always switch it up without feeling too guilty. Or throw some other rugs on top of it. Anyway, thanks again. I'll email you when I get the sample :)

This post was edited by Swentastic on Fri, Dec 5, 14 at 12:04

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

My DS spelled it "hippy".

back to the rugs: I really like the monochromatic choice. However, if you're going for a Persian, check out Ebay, especially the "antique" ones from Europe. Even with shipping, they are quite inexpensive.

• Swentastic Swenson
    Original Author
    9 years ago

nosoccermom you weren't kidding! Had to dust off my metric conversion skills but I think you're on to something! Great idea and thank you for that suggestion!!

Rugstudio only has 2 of those in stock so if I wanted one I'd need to buy it soon. Is there something particularly good about the Safavieh brand? I've never heard of it but that means nothing. It's still my top choice but I feel obligated to find similar rugs for cheaper. On onekingslane they've got two but neither look as soft as the Safavieh, but they're both a couple to a few hundred bucks cheaper.

Here they are:

{{gwi:2141579}}

{{gwi:2141580}}

Thoughts? Is it worth cheaping out or will the Safavieh be that much nicer?

I know you all are probably getting sick of this thread popping up. I'm really grateful for your help though and thank you again. This has made my decision much easier!

• Mike121
    9 years ago

I would congratulate you first for such a nicely decorated room without any cluttered look. As far as rug is concerned Persian styled rug would be great for interiors when you have contemporary furniture just as you have it. For me soft colored rugs have always been captivating.

Here is a link that might be useful: soft colored rugs

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I don't think Safavieh is a particularly "good" brand, nor is it bad, either. They sell it at Home Goods, Overstock, etc.

Have you looked at www.naturalarearugs.com? I've been very happy with their products. Maybe this one, jute:

{{gwi:2141581}}
    315.00 for a 8x10

{{gwi:2141582}}

{{gwi:2141583}}
    399.00 for a 9x12, on sale

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

I love your house. I love your dining room. And I love the corner window in the living room.

I have no advice. Although I do also love persians or similarly colorful rugs.

• sas95
    9 years ago

I think you have a lovely room there. I like the textured rugs you are considering, but also think some color in the rug would be nice, even if it's muted color.

• amykath
    9 years ago

I love this one from Home Decorators. I even like the old persian rug she as of centered on the jute rug. It is interesting. Maybe not for your home though. But it is always nice to see new ideas.

Here is the link to the rug. It is 699 with 20% off of that price and is a 12"X15"

Here is a link that might be useful: Braided Jute Rug

• Swentastic Swenson
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've been woefully irresponsible in my follow up - I did end up buying a rug from RugStudio right after the New Year as they were having a big sale and I was able to get a bigger, nicer rug for my budget. Here's what we ended up going with - I need to move the whole assembly closer to the middle of the room but have to wait for DH to come home and help me lift things.

{{gwi:2141584}}

It's a jute/wool blend. Very soft although the jury is still out on wear - it likes to move a little bit and has some stretch (for lack of a better descriptor) so it tugs and pulls in places when the dog plays on it or we push the coffee table a bit. I put a felt pad under it (was trying to avoid using a plastic pad) but I'm wondering if a "grabby" rubber type pad would be better.

Its squishy and delicious to walk on and the unbleached wool matches the grey in the couch perfectly.

{{gwi:2141585}}

And with what we saved by NOT buying a gorgeous Persian rug, we made some new memories instead.

{{gwi:2141586}}

Thanks again for all your help!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Love it! It's perfect!

And wow, what a photograph!

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

I like it. Thank you for remembering us here wondering.

• kidrowlam
    9 years ago

I agree with most of the contributors regarding the organized look which gets reflected from your interiors. Really fantastic. Just want to add one thing as the rug seems to be below sized therefore you can give a though to buy another rug with correct dimensions. Personally for me the faded range from Louis Poortere would suit the best.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Kiss that fish!

The new rug looks fantastic, Swen :)