Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aggierose_gw

What color will help to hide red tones?

aggierose
11 years ago

Hello. I have wood floors that are a dark brown with a definite red tint to them. (previous owners installed them) I'm not a fan of the red and am wondering if there is a color I can paint the walls that will help camouflage the red tones. Are there any colors I should avoid? We are repainting everything and I'm worried I will choose a color that accentuates the red. Thanks!

Comments (16)

• chibimimi
    11 years ago

Avoid green. It's the opposite of red on the color wheel; the contrast between them will emphasize the red in the floors.

• aggierose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks chibimimi. I'm planning on using BM Collingwood, but mixed 50% darker. Avoiding green may be a problem though. I was wanting to stick with a gray theme throughout the house, but I don't want a gray with pink, blue, or purple undertones. That pretty much leaves green undertones. I may have to rethink my plan! I really don't see green undertones in collingwood so I may be ok with that one.

• patricianat
    11 years ago

Look at an oldie but goodie from BM, Decatur Buff.

• aggierose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I definitely can't go with pink undertones. The last thing I want is for the walls in my living/dining room to look pink. I may just have to live with the floors looking more red than what I want.

• patricianat
    11 years ago

Did you look at Decatur buff? there is no pink anything to it.

• geokid
    11 years ago

I am definitely no expert at this (see my current post about paint in my kitchen), but my first instinct was to suggest BM Taos Taupe. I have it in my LR and library and love it. Coincidentally, BM's website pairs Collingwood with Taos Taupe and a red shade (Mars Red). I don't know if Taos Taupe will hide your red tones, but I think it will go nicely.

• aggierose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Patricia, I did look at decatur buff. Nice color, but it's not even close to what I'm looking for. I need a light color, which is why I was wanting to use Collingwood(mixed 50% darker). My house gets very little to no natural light and with the dark wood floors it is very dark inside. Geokid, I have looked at taos taupe and may actually use it in the office, but it is too dark to use as my "all over" color.

• patricianat
    11 years ago

I certainly understand lack of natural light. I have that as well.

• aggierose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Geokid, I'm curious...does Taos Taupe look more brown or more gray in your house?

• geokid
    11 years ago

aggie, it depends. Sometimes grey and sometimes a brownish-taupe. I think that's why I like it.

In living room
    {{!gwi}}

In library
    {{!gwi}}

• Tmnca
    11 years ago

What about a cream/white, like Mascarpone?

• Vertise
    11 years ago

"but I don't want a gray with pink, blue, or purple undertones. That pretty much leaves green "

There are also warm grays with yellow undertones.

• aggierose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Could some of you who see colors better than I do give me your opinion? I'm second guessing my original choice of Collingwood. I'm worried if I go too light I'm going to lose the coziness that I currently have in my house. The current color on the walls is SW Trust Tan. I'm tired of brown and it is too dark for me combined with the dark brown wood floors, but it is a cozy, comfortable feel. Now I'm considering BM Himalayan Trek. It's darker than Collingwood, but still lighter than Trusty Tan. How do you think Himalayan Trek will go with the dark brown wood floors keeping in mind that I don't want to accentuate the red that is in the wood. Thanks!

• yayagal
    11 years ago

I actually think the trek will look better than the paint on the wall now. It's a little lighter but will still read as as a gray color so I'm all for it.

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

I helped a friend paint his kitchen a sage green, and he had reddish oak builders grade cabinets. IMO, the green deminished the red tone, and the wall color became more noticeable instead of the 'orange' cabs. Anything in a terracotta tone would not be good.