Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
1st attempt at subway art

Posted by mpmg46 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 3, 12 at 14:50

So some of you have seen me on here for years now, always frustrated with my family room. My latest issue was what to put over the couch on a big blank wall. It needs something substantial, but with that, comes a big price tag. I wanted something that was personal as well, which makes for an even bigger price tag!

I found subway art of NYC that I loved, but with a price tag over $500. I found a few tutorials and $25 later...here's what I ended up with:

Disclaimer: If you are a NY'er, you'll pick up on the fact that some of these names are not actual subway stops, but rather they have personal meaning to DH and I (We lived there during the time we dated/were engaged), so since I had room on the board, I added them in. (My office was on W 37th. One of our 1st dates was dinner at South Street Seaport, etc.)

It's going to go over (mock up of)this couch in our family room--this was the original art that I found that I loved, soon to be replace my very own! :) Thanks for letting me share.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 1st attempt at subway art

I LOVE it and I LOVE the fact that you created your own "one of a kind" Can you give us a tute on how you did it??

o

How fun --- and love that you've used locations that have special meaning to you and your husband!

Did you use stencils or stickers or what?

So... how are you feeling about your room now?

o

Looks great!

ML

o

How wonderful! It looks just like the original, but is a much more personal representation.

It's hard to put into words the pride one has duplicating a pricey home good with one's own hands.

Congratulations!

Dee

o

Thats wonderful. My teenage daughter wants a peice like that for her room . You have inspired me to do it myself.

o

Thanks everyone. I have to say, it's really not that hard! I've got two little ones who want to watch a Christmas movie, but I will be back later tonight or tomorrow with a how to. :)

o

Well done!

o

Love it!!!!!

o

Great job! And I love that you picked places that old such precious memories...

o

Thanks so much for the positive feedback. It was fun to make, although there were evenings that I thought "This will never turn out...I can't believe how much time I'm wasting. I should just put the Christmas tree up instead." :)

For those who'd like to see how I did it, I added it here:
http://patientgrace.blogspot.com/

I'm not a real blogger, just trying to find a place to keep some of the little projects that I do, so I can keep track of them. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Tutorial Subway Art

o

You did a great job and have art that is uniquely you!
Diane

o

Thank you for the links . I am thinking of buying the supplies and letting her do it her self. She is very artistic and loves crafts.

o

Well done! TFS

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here