Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mushcreek

What color to paint this? And that?

mushcreek
9 years ago

The outside of the house is nearly done, but I have a couple areas I'm not sure how to finish. The base color is SW Pewter Green, the trim is SW Favorite Tan, and accent is SW Sundried Tomato.

The first pic is the garage door. The man door on the side will be the Sundried Tomato, as will the front door. You can see that color (barely) on the roof brackets. What color should the garage door be? I'm thinking tan, as the red would be too much on such a large area. On the other hand, I'm trying to minimize the appearance of the garage altogether. Thoughts?

{{gwi:2132814}}

The other area is the stucco on the exterior basement walls. It doesn't show much from the front, but the sides and back are a big area. To tell the truth, I kind of like the raw stucco, but feel it should be painted or sealed to last longer. Should I go with the Pewter Green, or?

{{gwi:2141547}}

Comments (13)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I'd do it in the green. I think the tan trim you have is great with the green and will define the garage but not make it stand out, as it would if it were tan or red.

• beachpea3
    9 years ago

I agree with Tibbrix- paint the garage door pewter green to minimize it.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Agree with Tibbrix.....paint the garage door and the stucco Pewter Green. What a pretty house!

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

Love your choices! Love the metal roof!!

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I agree, the garage door in the body color of the house.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Agree! Pewter green. The garage is not a feature to play up in most cases.

Congrats on almost getting the exterior finished! How is the interior coming?

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

If you want to minimize the appearance of the garage, just painting it Pewter Green won't do it. Having the garage door trim in the Favorite Tan will emphasize it, essentially outlining it and that really calls attention to an area. I know you want the trim to be consistent but if you decide to paint the door green that's the one area I'd consider making the trim the same color as the siding and garage door. Everywhere else your trim will act as a highlight, which is what you want.

For the exterior of the basement walls, I'd try and mimic the color of the soil in your area, just make sure it's not a clear/clean color - no pun intended! Then once you landscape, it'll disappear even more.

• teacats
    9 years ago

Another vote to paint the garage door AND the stucco wall in the wonderful green shade! :)

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I think it would be okay to leave the trim the favorite tan. You aren't trying to Hide the garage door, just blend it in. The windows read "dark" surrounded by the trim so effect will be similar for the garage door. This mockup is too green but it gives you the idea:

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

And green esp. can look industrial or institutional, so I think you actually need the trim to avoid that, esp. since you already have metal roofsâ¦which are GREAT, btw.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Here is a comparison of the two options.

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

Don't listen to me - listen to pal! Perfect visual and window analogy.

• mushcreek
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the mock-up- it really makes the choice obvious! I do think it needs the tan trim, though.

The native soil is red clay, visible to the left of the driveway. It gets all over everything!

Thanks for the compliments. We agonized over the colors, as we are both kind of color-challenged. We knew we wanted the tin roof all along, in the old-fashioned 5V pattern. The columns will look much better when I finish the upper part, but I ran out of nice weather. The interior is coming along, with mostly the kitchen and flooring to do. It's a long process for one old man, working alone, but it is a labor of love.