Return to the Home Decorating Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Darkening a picture frame with gel stain without sanding???

Posted by tuesday_2008 (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 23, 09 at 14:38

Recently picked up a nice oil painting but the frame is gold, which I would like to darken. Is it possible to darken with gel stain without sanding. Frame has intricte design which can't be sanded, and from what I have read on here, gel stain goes on like somewhat like a paint. I was thinking a dark stain and dry-brush a little gold on. Would this work?

If I can't do that, I will probably spray paint it with oil rub bronze and maybe touch it up with a little gold.

Share your picture frame "makeovers" with me please.

Tuesday

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Darkening a picture frame with gel stain without sanding???

I use a dark brown acrylic paint and a sponge brush.
I mix a little water in with the paint to thin it. I then go over the frame with the brown.
I wait about 30 seconds and wipe it lightly with a dry cloth so that the brown remains in the crevices.
If I get too much brown, I take a wet cloth and remove it.
I also use Rub and Buff to highlight areas I want a softer gold.
I do not have any before photos but here is an after.
The frame is now more of an antique gold. I also did the same finish on the mirrored sconces.
Photobucket

Photobucket
My camera did not do a good job picking up the darker areas.
HTH

o
Close up pic

Here is a better closeup.
Photobucket

o
RE: Darkening a picture frame with gel stain without sanding???

I've used the same technique lsst describes above. Benefits are you get good control and usually won't harm current frame if excess acrylic paint is removed w/water.

Another way is to get some artist's oil paint (tiny tube will do) in burnt umber. Put on a waxy paper plate. Thin w/mineral spirits. 1 part paint to 4 parts min spirits to make a wash. I mix with a popsicle stick. You can play with it to get opacity of 'wash' you want. Wipe on with t-shirt rag (lint free) wrapped around a couple fingers. Or use art brush if you prefer. Remove excess w/mineral spirits dabbed on a clean t-shirt rag. (Doesn't take much.) I've used this over dried latex paint on a dresser to age it some. Did no harm to latex paint. But, if paint on your frame is oil based, mineral spirits will pull it off. To test if you want, if there is any gold on back side of frame, dab a q-tip dipped in Min Spirits onto back of frame very lightly. If any current color appears on q-tip, then avoid this method.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here