|Recently picked up a nice oil painting but the frame is gold, which I would like to darken. Is it possible to darken with gel stain without sanding. Frame has intricte design which can't be sanded, and from what I have read on here, gel stain goes on like somewhat like a paint. I was thinking a dark stain and dry-brush a little gold on. Would this work?
If I can't do that, I will probably spray paint it with oil rub bronze and maybe touch it up with a little gold.
Share your picture frame "makeovers" with me please.
|I've used the same technique lsst describes above. Benefits are you get good control and usually won't harm current frame if excess acrylic paint is removed w/water. |
Another way is to get some artist's oil paint (tiny tube will do) in burnt umber. Put on a waxy paper plate. Thin w/mineral spirits. 1 part paint to 4 parts min spirits to make a wash. I mix with a popsicle stick. You can play with it to get opacity of 'wash' you want. Wipe on with t-shirt rag (lint free) wrapped around a couple fingers. Or use art brush if you prefer. Remove excess w/mineral spirits dabbed on a clean t-shirt rag. (Doesn't take much.) I've used this over dried latex paint on a dresser to age it some. Did no harm to latex paint. But, if paint on your frame is oil based, mineral spirits will pull it off. To test if you want, if there is any gold on back side of frame, dab a q-tip dipped in Min Spirits onto back of frame very lightly. If any current color appears on q-tip, then avoid this method.
Return to the Home Decorating Forum
Information about Posting
- You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
- Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
- Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
- After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
- Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
- We have a strict no-advertising policy!
- If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
- If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.
Learn more about in-text links on this page here