Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frogtalk358

Help with ceiling paint color for cinnamon-colored library/office

frogtalk358
9 years ago

I am painting our library/home office/music practice room SW Tassel, which I'd describe as a cinnamon color. There isn't much exposed wall space in the room -- French doors open to the foyer (SW Ecru) on one wall, the wall to the right has a large south-facing window with Pottery Barn Simone panels stacked on one side, the wall opposite the door has tall teak bookcases, and the wall on the right has a built-in counter used as a computer desk with art hug above it.

I painted the ceiling SW Decor White, which looked good . . . until I started on the walls. I struggle with color but I think I need more color on the ceiling -- something that reads creamy or maybe pale gold rather than stark white. Am I right? Suggestions, please?

First photo with overhead can lights on, no flash. There are 2 coats of paint below the ceiling and in the corner shown in the photos, still need to add one more, The center of the space above the bookcases has just one coat from my should-I-quit-it-keep-or-keep-painting pass.

Comments (23)

• bbstx
    9 years ago

A good friend has a similarly colored room. Her ceiling is turquoise. It looks fabulous. Perhaps you could pick a turquoise shade out of your curtains.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I too was going to suggest a teal or turquoise.

• frogtalk358
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Photo with natural daylight (overcast day) and flash.

Don't worry, the wall color doesn't look nearly as orange without the flash. IRL it's similar to the dark gold in the Simone fabric.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

A paler version of the blue in that fabric would be great.

• frogtalk358
    Original Author
    9 years ago

bbstx and Tibbrix, teal or turquoise probably would look amazing but I'm not nearly that brave. Even if I was, the ceiling is knockdown textured, which I'm not going to change. Not the kind of ceiling I want to call that much attention to.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I was going to suggest a lighter version of the blue in your fabric... sky blue... as well. I think you'd be surprised that it doesn't draw more, but less attention to the ceiling when it is 'furnished' with color.

• schoolhouse_gw
    9 years ago

I vote for the (very) creamy white. The blue or turquoise would be different and exciting, but one may tire of it after awhile.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I don't think I'd tire of a blue ceiling any faster than I tire of a blue sky.

• amykath
    9 years ago

Wow, yes to the turquoise! How fun!

• bossyvossy
    9 years ago

Another vote for pale turquoise, ever paler than post above would b fantastic.

• lilylore
    9 years ago

I agree with what other suggest; a pale, dusty blue would be great.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

The blue looks utterly fantastic. The cinnamon is an assertive color and I think the blue stands up to it and calms it way down. With your fabric, it's awesome. I have some white ceilings and they look stark even next to ivory walls.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

BM Windy Sky (1639)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

SW Really Teal

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

SW Nifty Turquoise

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

SW Hubbard Squash

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

SW Weathervane

• Olychick
    9 years ago

I think the white looks fine (the color it is now). The walls reflect on it and soften the white effect.

• sprout26
    9 years ago

Someone here once recommended painting a pale blue on all ceilings, I've slowly integrated this as rooms have needed painting...LOVE it! It's subtle, people don't notice, but I do. (and can't remember who, but if "you" are reading, thank you!)

• Karenseb
    9 years ago

I like the white or the Hubbard squash. I like the idea of a creamy white.

• Honu3421
    9 years ago

I was all over the turquoise posted by Annie until I saw the Hubbard Squash which I like much better but to me it's still too much of a perfect match to the yellow in your (beautiful) curtain fabric. I would look at going one shade lighter than the squash. Of course this is my first post on the HD forum and I am no designer. So take my comments with that in mind. Going back to lurking mode now. ;)

• frogtalk358
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OK, it took me a while to get up the nerve to try color on the ceiling then to test samples. Hubbard Squash was too peachy. I didn't try turquoises/teals because those don't fit with the rest of my house or the rug that will go in the office (cream, rust, navy, and olive). That left sky blues. After several samples and time spent lying on the floor looking at sample boards propped on top of the bookcase, I ended up using SW Open Air. Here's a photo of the work in progress. The blue looks a little more violet in the photo than in person. I'll post another photo after the room is all together but I like the blue ceiling better than the off white. Thanks!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Nice! That first stroke of paint is always the toughest!