Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dneubecker

Wanted: Chicago Furniture Store Recommendation

mdln
9 years ago

Can anyone recommend good furniture stores in the Chicago area?

Have thought of Ethan Allan, Macys, Penny Mustard, Smithe, Steinhafels - am I missing any great places?

Thank you!

Comments (17)

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

What specifically are you looking for? Major upholstered pieces? Accent upholstered pieces? Case goods? Occasional tables/pieces? What's your decorating style? Traditional, modern, eclectic or ?? Do you like things to match or do you prefer collecting over time? Are you looking for investment furniture to fill a room or some funky accent piece that can be a fun piece of 'junque'? I like some things at Arhaus, Nadeau, Jayson Home, Crate & Barrel and smaller mom and pop places, resale.... Does it have to be in the city or or a specific suburban direction?

• bac717
    9 years ago

I like Toms-Price. They have several locations as well as an outlet in Bloomingdale.

I can also recommend a few furniture consignment shops in the Northbrook/Glenview area if you are interested.

• mdln
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you dlm2000. While I prefer collecting over a long period of time, that is not an option for me. I had a house fire, total loss (including my 3 kitties).

I need to replace everything - within 6 months for the insurance to help pay for it. My style is eclectic, but probably do not want modern. The suburbs are most convenient, but am willing to travel for a place that is worth it. Am considering a trip to Goods Furniture in Kewanee.

While I love smaller mom & pop places, and like to shop resale type places, I have so much to buy in so little time (since I also work a full-time plus job) am looking for any hidden treasure type of place that I should not miss.

I will check out Arhaus, Nardeau, and Jayson Home; have already been to C&B (getting dishes from there). Thank you!

• mdln
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you chijim & bac 717! So many great suggestions. I posted on furniture, last week and got no responses so I am thrilled with these great suggestions.

Bac717 - yes, would love names of furninture consignments shops that you can recommend. Would love to have not everything look "brand new."

Chijim - did not know about Bloomingdales Home store and forgot about Brit Carter.

• bpath
    9 years ago

Dania in Northbrook is having a big clearance sale, they are going to rebrand, I don't know what to.

Walter E Smithe has a huge outlet in Bloomingdale. Lots of floor models and returns, great prices.

I've been to Goods! It is a drive for us so we stayed over in their "BnB" but there is a LOT of furniture with upholstery choices if you are ready to buy. I'm very happy with the chairs I got from there...unfortunately, so were the cats, and now I have to recover them lol!

There's a big store in Barrington...anyone remember their name? We got a leather sofa there.

If you like modern/contemporary, Hansen's in Racine. We got a recliner with ottoman.

• bac717
    9 years ago

bpathome - are you thinking of Honquest in Barrington? They are no longer in business. They closed several years ago.

mdln - I'm so sorry to hear about the reason for your need for new furniture. Here are the two consignment shops I can recommend. Turn the Tables in Northbrook is much smaller than Village Treasure House, but both have nice furniture. Also, they both have websites you can visit to get an idea of what they offer, but with any consignment shop, what's available in the store is constantly changing.

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

mdln how heartbreaking! I'm so sorry about your kitty losses - all else can be replaced.

I've never been to Goods but understand that although the selection is enormous, their pricing is not as competitive as other stores. But that may not matter if it saves you running around. In Winnetka I like Material Possessions for interesting things - but they are $$$. The one bpathome mentioned in Barrington may be Honquest. Carsons had/has a furniture store at Edens Plaza in Wilmette with a nice selection. For resale you can check Anna's in Highwood or Village Treasure House in Glenview as bac717 will also recommend and just down the street from that is the Lazy Boy store. There's always Z Gallery, Pottery Barn..... If you go to Old Orchard and surrounding area you can hit probably every major furniture retailer and a number of small ones. And don't forget, many stores in the Mart are now open to the public but it may not hurt to get a designer involved and help you narrow your search.

• motherof3sons
    9 years ago

Mldn - so very sorry for the loss of your kitties and home. The emotional and physical toll on you must be overwhelming.

I am not from the Chicago area, but downstate. We live about 90 minutes from Goods Furniture and have a son that lives in Kewanee. We visit Goods a lot. Tell them the purchase will be for an entire house they may be willing to give a discount. You can always price match at locations closer to home.

Goods does have a huge selection of furniture on the floor. There are few cash and carry items. Their customer service is excellent and the best delivery to date of any furniture company I encountered. I was completely surprised when scheduled for a 6:00 A.M. delivery. They pulled up at 5:55 and unloaded. The delivery people had to use a bit of geometry to figure out how to get a massive king bed up a narrow set of stairs.

Best of luck in your shopping endeavors.

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    9 years ago

Darvin in Orland Park. They sell Broyhill, Thomasville, Penn. House, and lots more.

An Walter E Smithe is a few blocks away too.

• bpath
    9 years ago

Bc717, yes, I was thinking of Honquest, didn't know they closed.

I remember reading about Jerry Springer when he moved to Chicago, walked into C&B and bought his whole apartment in one fell swoop. There's a lot to be said for that.

One thing I liked about staying overnight at Goods is that you could look at everything on one day, mull it over that night, and make your decisions the next day. No distractions.

Dlm has a good suggestion about a designer, they can do a lot of the work for you. Because you also need to look at flooring/rugs?

Remember to stop by Orphans of the Storm, just for a visit in the cat room, you'll need some kitty-love to soothe you.

• mdln
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Was thinking of the overnight @ Goods, trying to talk a friend into the trip.

Honquest was walking distance from my house. Even the restaurant, Barn of Barrington, is gone. Only thing left is that car dealership that keeps getting bigger & bigger. :-(

Two of my 3 kitties were from Orphans. I spent several days there just trying to figure out who to take home. I do some consulting work right across the street (within barking distance - you can hear the dogs barking).

I put in site finished walnut HW floors, so can pick area rugs later.

Spoke with a couple designers, they were moving too fast for my comfort level. I kept saying, "I don't know" to most of their questions (color, style, pricing), and I felt like they picking what they like - for me. Am hoping it will be like kitchen cabinet shopping; after looking at a bunch of things will get a better idea of what I like.

My other alternative is finding rooms I like on Houzz and just copying them.

• mdln
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nice clusters of areas, thank you!!!

• motherof3sons
    9 years ago

Mldn - tell me when and I will meet you at Goods!

• mdln
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think, since Goods is the most serious stop (considering it is so huge and the overnight stay), it will probably be my last place. Thinking I am "keeping the best for last." Will keep you posted. Thank you!

• PRO
    Altare Design, LLC
    9 years ago

A bit late to the party but for anyone else looking for furniture, high end pieces can be found at Sawbridge Studios in Winnetka.