Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bellajourney

Suggestions for a soft, warm green to go with Cloud White?

bellajourney
12 years ago

Hi everyone!

I'm in the swatch gathering phase and don't want to miss anything terrific to test.

Here are the goals:

1) I'd like to find a warm, friendly, yet soft green paint for our kitchen, similar to the walls in the picture below. Nothing too bright, dark, cold, yellow, pale or dingy. You know, the perfect soft, warm green. Can't be that hard to find, right? ;)

2) Our cabinets are close in color to Cloud White - so, something that compliments a creamy white with gray undertones would be terrific.

3) Also, we need the green to flow with our other fairly open floor plan colors (all Ben Moore): Ambiance (pale butter yellow), Woodmont Cream (a little more saturated than Linen White), and Hush (beige)/ Simply White.

The room will be decorated with brighter accents of hydrangea blue and green (as window treatments, a flower arrangement, etc.). Our floor is similar in color to the pic below. (And counters are black.)

So far, my swatch collection consists of:

BM Fernwood Green (may try it at full and half strength)

BM Guilford Green

BM Nantucket Breeze - (worried it's too yellow)

BM Dune Grass - (may be too dingy)

BM Abington Putty

SW Celery

SW Shagreen

Am I missing anything to look into? (Or anything I should remove?)

Thank you!!

(P.S. I posted on the kitchen forum too with a lame photo of the swatches that I have taped up. Wise gardenwebbers let me know that they would not be able to pick based on a photo from a computer monitor, which is why I'm just looking for suggestions on what swatches to get. Then I'll narrow it down based on how they look in real life, and finally test some of them on the walls.) :)

Comments (20)

• User
    12 years ago

I'm in the process of using BM Guilford Green throughout my house. I am absolutely in love with this color. It does tend towards the slightly cooler side of green, though - there's not really much of a yellow undertone in it at all. It's the perfect, soft, "vintage" shade I've been searching for, for what seems like a long time! One shade lighter on the scale is BM Hancock Green, which is also lovely. I still have BM Warren Acres in my kitchen and really like that color too - although it does have more of a yellow undertone that Guilford or Hancock.

Good luck! I've learned through trial and error that greens can be difficult.

• lisa_mocha
    12 years ago

You have some great choices above...

Maybe also check out BM Soft Fern...it's a pretty, soft color.

• bookmom41
    12 years ago

Try Van Alen green; it is close to Guilford green but a bit warmer and softer, as I recall.

• Pipdog
    12 years ago

I have Martha Stewart's "Fossil" in my kitchen. It's sort of a light celery and a very soft green. It's my favorite paint color in our house.

• dawnp
    12 years ago

I was going to suggest BM Soft Fern too.

Also, take a look at BM Camouflage.

Both are great colors.

Let us know who the winner is!

• User
    12 years ago

Van Alen is gorgeous, but much more blue than Guilford.

Van Alen:

Guilford:

I've looked at so many BM greens, I am actually dreaming about them lately. ::sigh:: ;-)

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    12 years ago

I've used a number of greens over the years, it's my favorite color. My powder room is BM Dune Grass, a cleaner green than some of the others I've used. When the sun is shining in the window, it looks lighter and somewhat yellower. It was brighter and cleaner than I expected, but it grew on me.

My den is BM Nantucket Gray, a very grayed midtone, but definitely green. It looks lighter or darker depending on the time of day/lighting in this east facing room, but always feels warmish.

I'm currently thinking about BM Soft Ferm for the master bedroom and bath. I painted them both Quiet Moments, and find it too chilly for my tastes.

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    12 years ago

P.S. the woodwork in the powder rm. with the dune grass is cloud white.

• bellajourney
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you All so much for your replies!! :)

auntjen: I'm so glad you are in love with your perfect green! (Yes, finding the right green IS hard!) I really like the Guilford swatch while DH is leaning more towards the warmer swatches. We'll see how the paint test goes! Hancock Green is Beautiful, but definitely a little too blue for our kitchen. I'll grab a swatch of Warren Acres too. Thank you for your suggestions!

lisa_mocha: I'll check out Soft Fern. Thank you!

bookmom41: Thank you for your reply! Van Alen is lovely, but a little too blue for our kitchen (I will keep it in mind for other rooms though!).

pipdog: Fossil is going on my "swatches to collect (and obsess over)" list. Hee hee. Thank you!

dawnp: Soft Fern and Camouflage - check! I will check them out and keep everyone posted. Thanks so much!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

I just painted our kitchen/keeping room in Saybrook Sage. It may be a little darker than you are looking for, but I love it. Our cabinets are a creamy white, floors like yours, and I plan a soapstone countertop, so will have the black counter also. The BM Saybrook Sage works perfectly-pretty during the day and warm and cozy at night.

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    12 years ago

Yes, the swatches are definitely misleading. When you find the color that looks just right on the swatch, go a bit lighter and a bit less intense or more muted/grayed. Once it's up on the walls, the color always seems to intensify. And always test on a fairly large area, and prime the area under and around the test swatch with white, or the old color will affect your perception of the new color. I've rolled out more gallons of paint than I care to think about to correct color mistakes over the years. Still making the same mistakes now, come to think of it.

• 47dt
    12 years ago

You aren't missing a thing! What a wonderful choice of colors. I might have to steal your idea

• livefromtexas
    12 years ago

I love soft greens. One of my favorites is one from the Disney line at Home Depot - it's called Christopher Robin's Swing. A very neutral, calm green that doesn't go gray or blue or yellow. We had it in my dd's room and I'd love to go in her room because of it. I'd definitely consider using it in a 'grown up" room. Google images of it. HTH.

• Sueb20
    12 years ago

Soft Fern and Camouflage are two of my favorites too, but I have to add Mesquite too -- I painted my office/sunroom in this color several months ago and it's very similar to the pic you posted!

• bellajourney
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all for all of your fantastic suggestions! I'm still gathering up the swatches and am hoping to get some paint on the wall by next weekend (fingers crossed!).

saypoint - your advice is SPOT on (and it works for checking out the swatches too)! Thank You! Instead of putting the swatches next to each other (on a fairly bright green tinted primer wall), I separated them and put them on a white backdrop. It has made such a HUGE difference, and they look so different to me now!

So far, the lead swatch is Soft Fern. When I had it next to brighter green swatches I wasn't crazy about it, and thought it was too gray - but when I looked at it by itself (and on a white backdrop) - I am Really loving it. Soft, subtle, yet still a lovely green. It could be - "the one!"

I'll definitely keep you all posted. Thank you so much, again!! :)

• bamagirl81
    11 years ago

I just found this website today after searching fernwood green! I love, love, love the fabric you have in your post - do you mind sharing the name/manufacturer of the fabric? Thank you sooo much!

• gmp3
    11 years ago

I tried several of the ones you mentioned in my MB, all were pretty on the swatch but not quite right in the lighting in that room, I ended up with BM grasshopper, and I love it.

• sreedesq
    10 years ago

What did you go with? I too am considering Dune Grass, thank you so much for the powder room pic!

• randita
    10 years ago

You might want to take a look at SW Ancient Marble and Grassland.