Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
valinsv

Need input on finishing touches for family room

Valerie Noronha
15 years ago

We made a lot of progress on this room before Thanksgiving. I did Restore-a-Finish on the drum table, bought a lamp from JC Pennies and bought a set of pictures from BBB for over the sectional. Now I need some input on some finishing touches.

I went ahead and rehung a couple of cross stitch pictures of Hummels I'd made years ago. I'd like to change out the matting and possible darken the frames a bit with a rubbed finish. They do have some sentimental value--both because I made them and it's a link with my German side of the family and grandmother who collected Hummels, but need feedback if they look OK on this wall.

Without pictures:

{{gwi:1873935}}

With pictures:

{{gwi:1613056}}

We'd also like to hang a portrait of Jesus my DH's SIL painted for us years ago over the paisley arm chair. It is not on a canvas and doesn't really have much of a background so was thinking of putting it in a larger frame with triple matting. I'd like the matting to coordinate with the hummel pictures. My though is to do brown-gold-red for the Jesus portrait (using the brown first to sort of extend the background a bit) and just gold-red for the hummel prints--but I am very much open to other suggestions.

{{gwi:1893954}}

{{gwi:1893955}}

Lastly, I need to put something on my entertainment console to disguise the wires that can be seen from the side view of the right side of the TV as you enter the room. We considered a hutch top--but didn't really work for this unit given the technical clearances required for the TV. I bought a couple of baskets on clearance at BBB for a quick fix, but I don't really like them and plan to return them. I liked the urns with floral arrangements that johnatemp had in her family/kitchen room. Perhaps something like hers would work here--but not sure where to find them as I've been looking around (Home Goods, BBB, etc.)

{{gwi:1893956}}

Comments (35)

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Quite a few considerations here but I'll start with the basket by the TV. It's a bit small in scale. Do you have a Michael's store there? They often have quite dramatic larger pieces, perhaps something in a heavy pottery. I do rather like the arrangements flanking the TV.

I don't usually care for religious pictures but your portrait is quite stunning. It's so strong and modern in style, however, that the Hummels and the floral pictures somehow are not a good match. I'm also not sure whether the paisley chair will go with that portrait, because it's really more traditional. What if you were to hang the flower pictures over the chair and use the portrait over the couch? If you could find something with a stronger subject to hang where the Hummels are now and perhaps put the Hummels in another room that might make the art more cohesive. Your room is really coming along, by the way, from the earlier pictures you posted. I think it's going to be great.

Ingrid

• gracie-2006
    15 years ago

I love what you have done with your room. I love your area rug- beautiful! I think the mat choices for your portrait of Jesus are very suited with your colors.
    My ideas:
    I think the plant looks lonely next to the bookcase. Can you pull the sofa out and place the plant behind the sofa in the corner? Or put the plant behind the wing chair and antique round table. You will need to pull the chair out a little to accomodate the plant. You might try to move the bookcase down a little towards the door.
    I would move the hummel prints- or maybe once you re-matt them -center them a little more above your sofa and spread them out a little more.
    Can you center your entertainment center on that wall? If so , then I do not think you need anything on the floor next to it. Your hardwood floor is gorgeous!
    I would also find a big tray to lay on your ottoman sofa table. You could place a couple magazines and candle stick holders etc.?

• parma42
    15 years ago

Remember, too, that you don't always have to hang pictures(Hummels). If you find a table with enough room, you can always put them on easels.

• Ideefixe
    15 years ago

I think you'll have better luck taping the wires, than using the small plants to hide them

I like the idea of art over the sofa, but not the Hummels. The room seems quite bold and striking, and they're sort of ditsy/mimsy.

Love the valence, but have you thought of something other than white blinds--either a roman shade/roller blind to match the valence or a bamboo or wooden shade. I have a real thing about white blinds!

Maybe the plant in the basket could sit on a very low stand? That corner needs something with a little more weight.

• User
    15 years ago

Val the room is really coming along. I can't help with the other stuff as I am NO good at it. BUT>...I want that floor lamp LOL. Please....it is wonderful. c

• sable_ca
    15 years ago

Valinsv - I like your room a lot as it is! It looks as though you have paid a great deal of attention to the placement of everything.

I just have one question. Have you previously used a brilliant color such as that red for the large outer mat on pictures? Because, speaking from experience, it is going to overpower both the Hummels and the picture of Jesus. That's a lot of red next to pictures which have delicate coloring! For the picture of Jesus, I would do your brown, then gold or red, then ivory/cream. For the Hummels - which are so sweet and, I can imagine, mean a great deal to you - I would forego the red and leave the blue edge and then the same ivory/cream. Your room is already quite warm, and a small bit of light blue would be a nice touch. The reds in the pictures themselves will pick up your other red accents in the room. Or, you could do the inner mat in red. One way to see your color schemes in action would be to cut out construction paper to fill the matted spaces in the colors in question, hang the pictures, and then decide.

I also agree about replacing the valance, but am not sure with what.

It's going to be a pretty room!

• bac717
    15 years ago

I'd rather see the TV by itself on top of the console. My suggestion for hiding the wires is to use hooks from Command. They come in many different sizes. You can attach them wherever you need to on the console and they really can be removed without leaving anything behind. Maybe if the wires are secured closely to the back of the console, they won't be noticeable.

• mjjones453
    15 years ago

My thoughts, I think that what bothers me about the wall with the book case, is that the lamp and the plant are about the same size. My thought is to put the Hummel pictures in larger mats and frames to give them more presence, and to put them in the corner with the tree. Hanging them one over the other. Moving the tree to the corner where the chair is, and also to hang the picture of Jesus where you suggested. I don't mind the color of the mats, but I think that the gold mat for Jesus kind of highlights his forehead, I would think that you want to highlight more of his hair. Remember you don't need to match matting in your pictures. You want to find mats and frames that Bring out the best features in your pictures. If you question color take them to a Hobby Lobby, MIchaels, or your favorite framing shop for help with matting color choices.Mary

• lynninnewmexico
    15 years ago

This is turning out to be such a pretty room! I love your furniture, wall color, floors, bookcase, rug and floor lamp. You seem to be leaning toward the beautiful and classic Arts & Crafts style. But, the Hummel pictures don't go. As stated above already, although they are very nice, they don't really belong in a family or living room; they're too "cute" for a room like yours. Perhaps some nicely framed botanical prints in darkish wood frames might work there. You can find them already matted and framed in many stores these days. I'd try to find three, matted and framed the same, to hang in a row there.
    You have to always watch out for accessories that are too small and your basket is just that. Look for strong, clean lines and go bold, never wimpy or delicate in a room like yours.
    As for the portrait of Jesus, I think that it would look good there if you frame it right. I'm not sure about the red mat, though. You can go to www.pictureframes.com and download your portrait onto their site. There you can play around with different mat widths and colors until you get the look you want. I think double, not triple, mats will look best, though. A narrow one (not brown) for the inner mat with a wider outer mat. The rule for framing ANY artwork is to use the best mat & frame for the picture and let the artwork be the focal point. A frame that works with your decor, of course is best.
    I'm not caring for the lamp and plant flanking your gorgeous!) bookcase. The lamp should serve the sofa. Do you have a nother small round table you can use by it? One idea would be to move the bookcase down towards the closet a bit more.
    Question, are those new pictures centered over your sofa? Is there another window like the one by the paisley chair over on that other side? I do think that long simple, tailored drapes over the window(s) would give your room a more cohesive look, than the ruffled valance.
    I hope you don't think I dislike your family room. I actually love it. I just think you need to work with the accessories a bit more to make it sing. It's almost there!
    Lynn

• bigdoglover
    15 years ago

Photo #1: Very very nice. Must agree that the basket with newspapers looks trite and way too unsubstantial for its surroundings. And I know this will be unwelcome because you've obviously given a lot of time and thought, but here goes -- I am longing to see a pair of floor length drapery panels to give some vertical thrust.

Photo 2 vs. photo 3: Much better with the pictures over the sofa. They completely balance out the problem with the lamp and the tree looking like they're trying to be a "pair". Except I agree that the Hummells just do not have the seriousness needed for that room. Also, your plant needs to be in a more substantial pot, not a basket. It feels like it's going to fall over.

#4 The painting of Jesus is beautiful, I like the frame and would just switch the brown mat with the red mat, so that the major color is brown.

#5 I agree about returning those baskets. They look scruffy and don't belong next to such a high-tech piece of equipment. Having a pair of something flanking the TV makes me feel like it is the altar of the TV god. I agree about just taping the wires down. Or can you get someone to run them behind the drywall? Only other thing, and it may be a totally stupid idea is a plain matching wood backless "frame"/hutch that sits on top of the TV cabinet, whose only purpose is to conceal the wires (though it would give a visual frame to the TV as well.) Just think three boards about 3-5" wide and you have the idea.

Your room looks really good!

• deborahnj
    15 years ago

Val your room really is coming along quite nicely and looks good.

• johnatemp
    15 years ago

Val,
    Your room is coming right along so nicely.
    Your Hummel needlepoints are great...I am spying a desk in your kitchen without a backsplash? What about putting the 2 Hummel pics there? As you sit there & thumb thru cookbooks you could look up & see them? I would just pop out the light blue mat & keep the creme mat.

The Jesus portrait is beautiful. I agree with above not using all the strong colors....maybe just the brown - maybe a suede. I use suede in my framing a good bit & love the way it looks - the texture it adds.

The basket of mags....maybe darken it with the gel stain to better relate to the drum table - which looks fab, btw!

I am wondering what it would look like if you pulled the sectional out from the wall....put the tree in the corner - so the sectional would line up with the small window above it. Then center the bookcase under the next window. The corner you could add b&w family photos....still like the idea of the ledges but you could just stack the photos - it would be a cute corner to study on the way to the potty. By having the sectional floating just a bit - if you wanted, down the road to add full length drapes - you would have the space to do so.

Smiles:)

15 years ago

I have to agree about the valances, and think long panels would add so much warmth to the room and give a more finished look. When you have a lot of wood showing on the floor a room can look somewhat bare without fabric on the walls. I for one like the plant and the lamps where you have them but on second thought agree that you don't really need anything on either side of the TV. I really like your stand for the TV, by the way.

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you everyone for all of the suggestions. It is always good to get another perspective on things. This is the room I have the most problems "decorating" because it is also the most heavily used room in the house. I see the point from a decor persepective with pulling out the sectional and adding floor length drapes--esp. johnatemp's idea of lining up the sofa and window--it would solve a lot of problems. However, having it butt up aginst the wall works best with teenagers who like to lounge on the sectional plus the wood blinds and valances are pretty new so really cannot justify swapping them out so soon. If anything I may change out the rods, though will also involve the kitchen/dining nook as well.

ingrid: Thanks for the Michael's suggestion. I'm going to check out what they have, though I usually find their arrangements too "fake" looking. Where you suggesting to replace the floor basket or the ones on top of the console?

trailrunner: My floor lamp is from Lamps Plus: http://www.lampsplus.com/Products/Bronze-Tortoise-Shell-Font-Floor-Lamp__98142.html

gracie: At one point we had the plant by the wingchair, though I've not tried it again since I put the lamp there. What should I do in that corner by the bookcase then? The door swings out towards the corner which really limits my options.

sable: Good point about the red. I go back-and-forth with color--sometimes I think I need to be more bold with color, hence the thought of red. Great idea to mock up using construction paper. I'm going to try that.

bac: Good point about the wires.

mjjones: Good point about the gold. I did not feel I had the matts quite right, yet. I have to really study it for days--or at least I did with my botanicals when I did them about 6 months ago. When I spoke to Aaron Brothers awhile ago they were all about emphasizing the art, but not about making it work with existing decor and/or making for a cohesive look.

lynne: Which basket are you referring to? The magazine one or the one near the console? I did have another magazine rack (in the garage) I can replace this one with--wood, vertical with slots. I felt I was having a lot of wood in the room and wanted to balance it out with some other textures. I plan to order my matts from pictureframes.com and these are their samples I'm testing out. I have a whole deck to play with. I will stick with a double matt then--any suggestions for colors combinations to try out?

bigdoglover: Good points.

johnatemp: What you spied is my message center. The hummel pics won't fit there. This is about the only room they fit so it's either work them into the decor in this room by updating the frames/matts or get rid of them. I think I will request some suede samples from pictureframes.com. I tend to agree with you about not using the three strong colors. Lynn recommends just double matting so I'll probably do that. Interesting suggestion to darken the magazine basket with gel stain. Hmmmm... I'm not very attached to this piece so could be a fun experiment. I'll have to add that to my Michael's list.

• User
    15 years ago

I found it . I love that lamp. Thank you for the link. I think your room is really coming along with help from all the folks here. c

• gracie-2006
    15 years ago

Where are you planning on hanging the Jesus portrait? Maybe it would go nicely behind the door next to the bookcase.

15 years ago

I was talking about the basket which is on the floor by the TV. I'm not suggesting you put fake flowers there but just find a large, rustic looking pottery jar to put on the floor. However, in looking over your pictures again, I think you don't really need anything there if you can find another way to hide the wires. Also, I meant that I really don't think you need anything next to the TV on the stand either. I think your room is all about a clean, strong look without too much clutter. It's that strong look that also makes the Hummel pictures wrong for that room, but of course that is your choice.

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

gracie: I was thinking of putting the portrait on the wall behind the red chair. At this point I'm going to wait for the suede matting samples to arrive that johnatemp suggested.

ingrid: I hear you with the clutter--believe me there is a lot just with the family without having a lot of extraneous decor. I also am not a fan of fake flowers, though I do like dried flowers. I went to Michaels and found a vase as you describe, but I don't think it works (color, size) and I'm going to return it. I do like the flowers I got. What do you think? I tried to keep to the red/gold/olive color scheme. Perhaps it would be better to just do a taller floor arrangement?

{{gwi:1893957}}

I didn't open up the flowers in case I want to return them.

Here is a pic of the troublesome side:
    {{gwi:1893958}}

DH could probably move the console back a smidge and neaten up the wires, but honestly he is a tech nut (works for Sony) and he is just starting to get our home entertainment system workable--still have to do the music and speakers so I see it getting more messy, not less. We did look into getting a custom frame around it, but the TV specs required something like 6" min. to either side and 12" above so it would just be a big wood thing. I've been mulling over getting one of those buig round clocks that are popular right now to put above... but maybe that's too much decor around the TV?

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Perhaps something like this vase on CL--which has more color to it. It's 22" tall. I think it's a tad overpriced, though, for CL. I was thinking of offering $15--maybe $20.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rustic Vase

• walkin_yesindeed
    15 years ago

Val, great room! Love the overall effect. What's your paint color?

• deltabreeze
    15 years ago

The tv wires really aren't that bad. If you decide to go with a vase, though, I think it would be good to get something tall and in a color that connects with the rest of your room. This one isn't really right, but will give you a sense of what I mean. It is nice enough looking by itself -- you wouldn't have to add flowers. It is also resin, which would make it more resistent to the bumps that are likely for such a busy spot in your home. One last thought (though I don't think it would work, given the light switch) -- have you thought of trying to move the tree to this location and maybe moving the TV cabinet a smidge to the left?

Here is a link that might be useful: vase

• les917
    15 years ago

I would move the tall plant in the corner to the spot to the right of the console and tv. That should help hide the wires, and offer a nice balance to the hard lines of the tv and cabinet. I wouldn't put anything else on the console itself but the tv.

I would then move the bookcase down so that the right end of the window is about halfway in relation to the right half of the bookcase. I think having the bookcase lined up with the end of the window creates too strong of an end line visually there. You could then move the round table and lamp to the right end of the sectional.

Move the floor lamp to the right side of the paisley chair and behind it a bit. and move the chair a bit to the right. Use the two Hummel pix on the wall by the chair, staggered one over the other with the higher one on the outside, the lower one closer to the chair. I would leave the Hummels with the light mat, just change the liner mat from blue to red. The white outer mat lets the Hummels be the strong visual interest. I think darker, strongly colored mats will compete with the work.

I would hang the Jesus pix in the space at the left end of the wall where the high windows are. I would try to get a mat the color of the eyes. Remember that the mat should work with the art, not with the furnishings in the room.

• bigdoglover
    15 years ago

Val, the cord situation is barely noticeable. Your DH is neat! Had you thought of one of those scrunchie looking fabric cord covers just to neutralize the whole thing? Everyone knows a TV has a cord. Three other ideas: As you mentioned, push the cabinet back further, and also the TV back as far as is safe -- so that the cords fall straight down and thus you won't have the little "curve out" that calls only a slight bit of attention to them. Painting the colored ones grey would probably help. Or, if you can bring yourself to do what my designer here in Dallas does this with lamp cords, drill a hole in the top of the piece behind the TV and run them all into it, then out a hole towards the bottom. Finally, my electricians recently put in something called a clock plug behind a painting. It's a recessed outlet so you could have the cabinet even closer to the wall.

Just one goofy little thought -- I was wondering if that tree would fit to the right of the TV cabinet and how it would look.

You've got a beautiful house, don't let a few wires overpower that in your thought about it. Hope this is helpful.

• johnatemp
    15 years ago

Val,
    I would love to see what the Jesus picture looks like in your LR!
    Then the Hummel pictures would relate more to the florals over the sofa.

To me, it is an *either or* situation with the artwork.

And since it is a family room - add in the b&w photos of your Family!

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I moved the plant to the right of the console. I think it may work, though I'd like to get a taller planter for it--thinking maybe an urn style so it's be approximately the height that I have it now (with my DR chair pads below--that I still have to finish :(). I also shifted the bookcase to the right a tad, though moving the drum table to that side made it too furniture heavy so I left it where it was before. I did add back the other magazine rack and put out some Christmas books my DD enjoys reading over the holiday season. I'm thinking perhaps keeping it there and after the holidays displaying some of my decorating magazines--since the other one has mostly the newspaper and DH's magazine as the red chair is his reading corner. Perhaps I should paint/stain it? I also pulled the floor lamp forward.

{{gwi:1893960}}

{{gwi:1893961}}

I'm leaning towards skipping the hummel prints and putting up the Jesus portrait--with a brownish/tannish suede mat and either an ivory, antique white or brown inner mat. I'm waiting for the suede samples to come in from pictureframes.com

Last item is the dried flowers I bought from Michaels. I kinda like them--with perhaps a different floor vase if everyone thinks the present one does not work. Or perhaps just some tall brown branches. I have some in my bathroom I could try out.

I really want this room to keep it's comfy/casual/family feel at the same time not look too cluttered. At some point I would like to add in some B/W or sepia family photos like Johna suggested--perhaps that'd be a better idea for over the sectional--in an asymmetrical arrangement. Maybe I could echo the horizontal placement of the bookcase for the outside rectangle.

• les917
    15 years ago

I know this is probably where your furniture started, but I am wondering if the whole room could be re-oriented? It kind of feels now like the sectional and chair are pushed back into the corners of the room, and then you have lots of open space and wood cabinetry.

I am wondering if you could put the TV on the end wall between the windows. Leave the chair where it is, as a reading corner, with the floor lamp.

Turn the sectional so that it runs up the wall under the high windows, and then comes out from that wall toward the dining area. The back of the one half of the sectional would essentially be in front of the wall where the tv is now.

Put the bookcase on the wall where the tv is currently, and of course leave walking room between the sectional and the cabinet. A table and lamp at the left end of the sectional (down by the far corner of the room) and the floor lamp perhaps behind the sectional half that comes out from the wall. Or, depending on the room you have, a console table behind that part of the sectional with lamp(s) on it.

Otherwise, if it is staying as is, I think the plant works nicely by the tv. I would put the magazine rack against the end of the sectional, parallel to it, rather than running parallel to the wall where it is. Doesn't seem like a practical location for someone to reach who is sitting on the couch. I would also move the bookcase down a bit more, and take the dried arrangement out of the corner. Use that by the floor lamp to give the feeling of some weight there. The lamp should be close to the couch for reading light, so I think you need to move it back.

• johnatemp
    15 years ago

Val, your garland looks so pretty on your bookcase!

Get those magic sliders out - I can so see what Les described!! You would be creating a walkway for the potty...the cord issue - gone.....could add drapes down the road on the windows on each side of the TV.....pictures would work out great.

I would love to see you try that arrangement!!

Saw your chairs on your other thread - the look wonderful!!

• cat_tail
    15 years ago

Wow, Les' rearrangement would be amazing if it worked out. I do hope you can give it a try!

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, that is exactly where we started with Les' arrangement--except there would not be enough space behind the sectional for the bookcase as it would put the sectional too close to the TV. The room is only 17' long. It did not work for us--as we are a family of five with two teenagers and there was too much contention for seating when watching the TV. Having it this way so we have an extra chair facing the TV works so much better and when we had friends over for Thanksgiving who'd been here before we switched it commented how much more spacious it felt. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but the kitchen table really is quite close to the family room so putting any furniture in the middle closes everthing in and makes for awkward walkways. Here's a couple before shots so you can see what I mean:

{{gwi:1814657}}

{{gwi:1548142}}
    I tried the sectional as Johna had suggested earlier, while it looked better, unfortunately the sectional is not oriented best for that (there are two pieces that butt up to the back wall) and would just come apart (think teens that are not overly gentle on the furniture and like to lounge here)--so reality having it pushed against the wall is the most practial solution. We just had the electrican over two weeks ago to get the cable moved. I tried moving the bookcase down further, but it looked squished since part of it looked like it was hidden by the console/TV and it's so pretty that I want it to be visable from the kitchen area. I could probably center it under the window, though if I remove the floor lamp--which is a possibility since we do have recessed lighting for this room. So, no one is liking the dried flowers from Michael's? I need to go there later today so am wondering if I should return them or not.

• deltabreeze
    15 years ago

I like the plant where you put it. If you do get a larger planter, try to pick up the red from the other side of the room. It will unite the room. I like the idea of a floor vase in the corner with flowers, but I hesitate a bit because I (1) don't think they really are needed and (2) think that in a family room you always need floor space for stuff (backpacks, swim bags, packages to mail. . .)It really is a nice room.

• bigdoglover
    15 years ago

The plant looks good where you put it! And even though I previously complained about it being in a basket, I like it in the basket there because it subordinates to the important thing which is the TV cabinet. It is taking up enough room that it doesn't need to have any more visual "weight" to it. I agree about the height you have it. Can it be raised up inside the basket on some thing sturdy? (Even kind of like the pedestal look of it on your seats, but can't think at the moment what that would translate to other than a nice block of wood.)

Agree about bare branches (yum, maybe bittersweet?) in the corner, but would like to see a ceramic or metal thing there instead of basket (guess I'm just anti-basket in that corner, for some strange reason it seems like something of more strength is needed there, to my eye anyway. A tall tin or metal flower holder? Something like an old painted milk pail, a sophisticated one of course. Maybe red. Or black.) The dried things you got seem a little weak but that is colored by the fact that I don't like things like that so I could be wrong.

Love the magazine rack where it is and like it the color it is, it's not an important enough element to be red, it blends very nicely showing up just enough.

I love the way you have your room arranged. It is warm and inviting and friendly, yet has a spacious orderly feeling to it.

• mjlb
    15 years ago

The only suggestion I have would be to place a narrow console table behind sofa that has the two low windows. I don't think it would put you too close to TV, but it would give some 'breathing room' to the sofa area. You could try your floor lamp in the corner behind sofa too.

Beyond that, very minor adjustments -- I think TV stand looks best centered on wall, and the tall cabinet (love the cabinet, b-t-w) would look better centered under the right high window.

I'm sure your furniture is arranged in the best way for that space, but I would be curious to see the side of the room that has the dining table / kitchen.

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

bidoglover: OK, I am going to return them. I'll look around for a larger pot. I have some bare branches in my bathroom that I can try out.

mjlb: Here is the best long view of the kitchen side, though there are now the valances that you see in the family room on these windows as well:

It was a remodeled family room/kitchen swap with addition of a third bathroom where the door is. We were trying to accomplish a lot with very limited space and went all the way to the setback on the side where the long skinny windows are. The narrow console could possibly work and then lining up the end of the sectional with the end of the first window and then centering the bookcase. I'll play around with it and see if I can come up with anything.

• mjlb
    15 years ago

Oh, I remember this now! Is the new bathroom door to the left of TV then?

It may look different in real life, but in photos there seems to be a bit too much empty space between seating area and TV. It looks like a round coffee table (maybe resembling the metal chairs at the island) with the current ottoman placed opposite would nicely fill in the area rug. Just a thought...

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

I missed this whole post but want to weigh in late, if I may. I love your room as it was in the first pic. Since it is your family room, I would put the Hummels over the sofa- the scale was right and they balanced the wall. I may be the sole voice here, but I think family rooms are just that, where things that have sentimental value are placed. The furnishings are so wonderful, that a couple of sentimental items that don't necessarily fit the "style" can fit in and not ruin the mix, if that makes sense.