Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sheesharee

Roman shade trim question - Kswl

Sheeisback_GW
9 years ago

I remember you suggesting using the houndstooth as a 1 or 1.5" trim boarder around the faux roman shade I'm going to make.

You suggested cutting the fabric on the bias. I had to look that up. The pattern will not be straight. That's ok? I obviously don't sew much. I should have a decent amount of fabric left after I'm finished with the chairs, but I'm not sure how much.

Here are my fabrics again.
{{!gwi}}

Had a hard time even finding photos. It does look nicer with trim.
{{gwi:2141510}}

Comments (13)

• tinam61
    9 years ago

Hey Shee - not KSWL, but I can add my 2 cents worth LOL. Cutting your fabric on the bias will make your plaid diagonal - which would look fab in my opinion. I've never made a roman shade so haven't added trim to that but in piping (cording?) for pillows, you cut fabric on the bias.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Hi Shee, I do love those fabrics!! Using the houndstooth on the bias will not only look great, the fabric will lie flatter than a railroaded or sideways cut band of fabric. It is a dressmaker touch that adds a lot to the finished, polished appearance of soft goods like WTs. It does take quite a bit of fabric, though, so if you are tight on yardage you may want to put in a straight band, making sire that the same length of the pattern is displayed on both sides.

I am really looking forward to the big reveal!

• Sujafr
    9 years ago

Not kswl, but will show how I'd cut the fabric to get a bias trim. Good luck with all your projects!

• Sheeisback_GW
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh ok. And even on both sides - check. And thank you for the visual Sujafr. I'm one that needs visuals!

For size reference, the measurement of the square from corner to corner is 2.75". I would just shrink the width, right?

• alex9179
    9 years ago

"You suggested cutting the fabric on the bias. I had to look that up."

This made me laugh, because that's me! I had no idea what that meant the first time I heard it, and still have not utilized that technique. I'm a very tentative seamstress. Sometimes "self-taught" means "barely capable", at least for me!

• Imhappy&Iknowit IOWA zone 4b
    9 years ago

I think some stay stitching along both edges before you sew it to the shade would be a good idea. You'll be working with the bias and it could stretch all out of kilter.

If I were doing it, I would do the stay stitching before I cut the strips.

This post was edited by lov_mkitchen on Wed, Dec 17, 14 at 22:50

• Sheeisback_GW
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Alex - Ha, I'm shaking my head yes. In the past there were times it was easier to just use hot glue vs. fighting to change the color thread in the bobbin! (faster than fabric glue and still washes fine.)

Lovmkitchen - Good idea. Then I got to this part " I would do the stay stitching before I cut the strips." That sounds kind of hard for some reason, but I'll try it!

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Will you need to piece the trim? The seams should be matched and diagonal, too. Hope I am not stating the obvious.

• clt3
    9 years ago

Hmmm, I've made lots of window treatments and pillows. I wouldn't cut that on the bias - it will stretch. Cording is cut on the bias because it needs to go around curves and will wear better. If you really want it that way , I'd fuse it all to a light weight fusible interfacing, maybe Pellon shape flex, to keep it from stretching.

9 years ago

That would be an even better idea than stay stitching.

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

Cutting on the bias will allow your fabric to be more pliable as clt3 says to go around curves and lie better and to curve around cording if you ever welt anything. It's pretty amazing the difference. In tailoring, some flowing skirts or other garments are cut on the bias because they drape better. I used to sew tons but now I don't even want to fix a ripped seam. I wish I could get back to it someday.

9 years ago

I'm not there to see your fabrics in person but I wonder if your plaid is a bit big? Even on the bias, will it display as you see it in your mind?

gr8day, I hear you! I do sew quilt tops for our church but sewing clothes has gone by the way side. I have to sew doll clothes from time to time but I don't enjoy it. Right now I have fabric wrapped around 3 pillow forms waiting for me to decide/do. I have a room that's just not coming together.

• Sheeisback_GW
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the extra tips! I'll look for the Pellon flex shape while out today.

Lov - It's not real small. The houndstooth check measures 2.75" from corner to corner so I won't be able to make the band as wide as the mock up above without it looking out of proportion.