Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jterrilynn

What chair would you pick for corner if this was your home?

jterrilynn
9 years ago

I still can't find a chair for the corner. See picture in upper left near media area. I am thinking a barrel chair of some sort but I'm not sure. I keep flip flopping. The other part of the problem is that every thing I like is well over my price range and I can't go over $1000. I brought this chair thing up before but still have gotten no where. I keep looking on craigslist for something to reupholster but pickings are slim in styles that will work. I put together this collage to give an idea of what is happening in the open plan so far. Keep in mind that I took the photos with my cheap cell phone so the colors are a bit more vibrant in person. At one point I was also thinking maybe a beige something with green undertones as a slight color pop but I'm not sure of that either. I am sort of stuck. Plus most of the cheap chairs look cheap. If you all have any ideas could you post pictures?
{{gwi:2141455}}

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Wed, Dec 10, 14 at 14:21

Comments (69)

• suero
    9 years ago

jterrilynn,

I have that rocker. Mine is a reproduction, but the original was designed by Peter Cooper in the 1850s or thereabouts.

I'd put it in the corner just to look at it.

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

Have you looked at Room and Board?

• User
    9 years ago

jterrilynn - I think chairs like those Marcolo posted are low enough to frame rather than block the view, especially if you position them away from the sliders and within conversational distance of the sofa. Plus, if the pool and yard are going to be the draw, the chairs don't have to be a vibrant color. Love the room (the coffee tables -ooooh).

• cawaps
    9 years ago

I like these:

Pier 1 and World Market, respectively.

• suero
    9 years ago

The rocking chair in black leather sold at auction in 2010 for under $1,000.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bonhams auction

• Olychick
    9 years ago

I love some of the suggestions, especially marcolo's. Just be aware if you are considering some of the others that a glider or swivel chair can be a bear to move. Often they don't just scoot across the floor to be pulled closer.

• voila
    9 years ago

Alas, marcolo's chairs are from Mitchell Gold/ Bob Williams. You can order them online for $2545.00 a piece! Since the pair will run $5090, there must be another idea. Drat, they were very cool. I like some of the other chairs posted above.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:2141450}}

• marcolo
    9 years ago

Yeah, I posted them to show the concept (although MG sometimes has big sales). But that's the direction to go in. Low, squarish and open. A room designed so that no part of a window, no matter how small, is ever obscured from any vantage point is not going to be a well designed room. Framing a few actually makes things feel bigger. Stay away from goofy seating way off in the peanut gallery.

• amykath
    9 years ago

Maybe this orangey leather chair?

• amykath
    9 years ago

This website has many more option as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to chairs

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

aktillery, what is Bryght? Do you know anything about their quality (they have styles I really like)

• pricklypearcactus
    9 years ago

I definitely agree with marcolo's comment about low and squarish. A pair would be even better than one. Your sofas and your media console are all low and about the same height. I think having a tall chair would really look out of place. I think a color could be nice, but probably nothing too bold or dark since the rest of the space is very softly colored.

This Crate & Barrel Rochelle chair is about perfect shape in my opinion, but it's a little above your specified price range at $1199.

West Elm Heath Chair looks just about perfect and costs as low as $799, depending on fabric. Is that a bit of green in your rug? If so, how about the Leek Linen Weave?
    {{gwi:2141464}}
    This West Elm Paige Chair has a little more curve, but I think it could work too. Starts at $699.
    {{gwi:2141465}}
    West Elm Dunham Chair starts at $949.
    {{gwi:2141466}}

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I really like the Mitchell Gold chairs and now itâÂÂs hard for me to look at anything else. I do like the West Elm in the Linen weave leek fabric. I think I could get away with a muted warm green undertone. But now I have MG on the brain. Actually I have two MG's on the brain because you are all right about the two chair thing instead of one.

You know whatâÂÂs strange is that many months ago there were chairs on Craigslist in teal, cream and mauve in the style of those Mitch Gold chairs. I was briefly pondering them as chairs to get reupholstered but thought the style might be pricey to have done. Now I wonder. I didnâÂÂt have much time to ponder though as they went fairly fast. They were eighties imposter chairs listed without a brand name and I wondered about the quality.

There are sometimes low square swivels that come up on craigslist; cheap because they need reupholstering so IâÂÂll keep an eye out for that as well.

If not for all the $#@#Q TUFTING I would have two new chairs within budget. Maybe not exactly what I want but close.

I guess IâÂÂm just going to have to be patient. This is not easy now that IâÂÂm laid up with a broken foot because IâÂÂm sitting in too much unfinished interior. I will find something eventually. The media cabinet came off Craigslist, the dining table is CL, and the coffee tables came from eBay several years ago for a song.

If anyone comes across something like the Mitchell Gold chairs please let me know. If the price is right I can always have them reupholstered.

Sue, I love your rocker!!! I havenâÂÂt even started on the bedroom furniture yet so maybe IâÂÂll keep my eyes open. Not sure if it would be too big for the room though.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Nothing like the MGBW chairs that were posted, but these MGBW chairs might work and they're MUCH less expensive! I've sat in them and they're quite comfortable.

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hmmm think I'll have a look at those. Be back in a sec.

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think I need to watch for sales on MG. IâÂÂm actually on their email mailing list along with many other sites but I almost never open because I just assume itâÂÂs over what IâÂÂll pay. I will do sales so will keep an eye open. I donâÂÂt see the point in paying retail price when a REAL sale price could be the difference in a flight to a far off land. IâÂÂm funny that way. I know there has been a lot of discussion on committing to decorating but when IâÂÂm on my deathbed and reminiscing I wonâÂÂt be reminiscing over a chair it will be over time spent with family on trips. However, there is always conflicting emotions on me trying to decorate because I want at least half way descent quality. So, IâÂÂll wait. IâÂÂm just getting impatient. Probably have to buy used now that I need two.

• amykath
    9 years ago

jt, I am not familiar with the site. I just found it by google shopping. If you like anything from there I would google opinions.

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Aktillery, that looks like a great site! There are a few chairs there that I like but the colors are not right. I will do a google to see if they show up in different colors.

Now that I have a better handle on what to look for IâÂÂm pretty confident IâÂÂll find something used but nice locally. Found these on CL today. They are not exactly right but just wanted to post them to show that there are some decent things IF I have to go that route.
    Robb & Stucky chair asking $495
    {{gwi:2141467}}
    Mitchell Gold both for $300 obo
    {{gwi:2141468}}
    DonâÂÂt know the quality of these but all four is $450
    {{gwi:2141469}}

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LetâÂÂs say I bought these chairs. They need to be reupholstered. What upholstery fabric should I look at? Or, do you think these not right?
    {{gwi:2141470}}

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

Omigosh, I can't resist this departure from all the chair discussion. Let's say you found a chair you love and stuck it there against the wall. It will look like you had a chair that you *had* to find a place for and just stuck it there. Let's say it is another neutral color; it will just fade into the wall and do nothing for your completely neutral scheme. All those squatty colorless chairs that have been posted don't do a thing for your room. I don't see color anywhere, not even in your framed wall art and not a plant to be seen.

So.... Here's my suggestion: Get a plant!! A tall, green plant. Living would be my first choice, but if you're not sure you can keep one alive and pretty, go for a high quality 'silk' tree. There are those that are difficult to determine from real. If none of the ones here ring your bell, do an image search and see what you think.

Here is a link that might be useful: PLANTS!!

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey tomato. This is the art work just in this area. So, lots of color. As stated above the media wall is not finished. You have to use your imagination because I am not adding accessories until I get the furniture sorted out. The paintings are fairly large, maybe too large. Also, all photos were taken with cheap cell phone.
    {{gwi:2141471}}

{{gwi:2141472}}

{{gwi:2140871}}

{{gwi:2141473}}

{{gwi:2141474}}

If I get these chairs ideally I would like to use an upholstery fabric color or colors in the pillows. I just know little of upholstery fabrics.
    {{gwi:2141470}}
    {{gwi:2141475}}

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

"So, lots of color." Sorry, that's not "color" in my world. Granted, we all have different tastes and I realize your room is not done. (I love your painting of your father, color or not.) I still would not do a chair or chairs. That wall needs something tall and I'm still advocating for a plant. ;o)

• amykath
    9 years ago

Wow, I had not even thought of a plant. That would look fab!

• tulips33
    9 years ago

I don't know if you have a Habitat for Humanity Restore in your area, but ours has lots of furniture and some are as low as $20 when they have their 40% sales, which are often. So if you are looking for something to reupholster, you might want to check them out. That's what I plan to do so I can get a chair I like and put fabric I like on it too.

• surya55_gw
    9 years ago

Another vote for a tall plant such as a ficus fig leaf or any other of your choosing. It would draw the eye over there in that corner, it'll "own" the space and be good for your health as well:-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Ficus fig leaf plant

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I really like that Fiddle leaf fig tree. It looks different so I likey!

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

As a quick aside, I'm in need of one or two 7-8' tall fake plants. The site tomatofreak linked to does not sell at retail. Where would you recommend I (and jt) look for high-quality not real plants that are not as unbelieveably expensive as that company whose name I now can't remember?

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sjhockey I was just coming on to ask the same thing. I did a brief read-up on the real ones and they take indirect sun. I have an over head patio out from the sliders so a real plant would not get sun at all.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

I think marcolo nailed it, even if you have to find a bargain version. I am not wild about the two chairs you have shown twice that you would reupholster-the style just looks odd to me with those upholstered arms-I would prefer metal arms or something with the square shape. I like the pair for $300 or the four below that (maybe you could talk the seller into selling you just two). I also love the idea of going with a teal. I think that would be very cool.

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

Overstock seems to have a wide variety at very nice prices, too. See if you can find what you like here.

Plants, plants, plants! They make a room come alive.

Here is a link that might be useful: Quality silk plants

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cyn, Marcolo nailed it exactly! I can't get those chairs out of my head. I think maybe I should keep on looking. About the plant, I moved a fake plant I already have in the spot and I'm now thinking no on a plant there. Grrr, being laid up with this foot is driving me mad I tell ya. The only thing I can do right now is buy stuff and there is nothing to buy.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

JT, I love the chairs that Marcolo posted. They are perfect. I would put them in front of the slider as suggested and I would do as Tomato suggested regarding a tall plant in the corner. Now to find them on sale!

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh I might as well sound desperate. Mitchell Gold can you hear me? I"ll take those slightly marred open arm/back chairs that you have floating around in the back of the store room off your hands.

• marcolo
    9 years ago

Why don't you call and ask when their next big sale is? I think they do one every year.

Parsons chairs might work. But look for a pair that's crisp and tailored, not like those schlubby ones on CL.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

as i asked. ... and you ignored.. what is the wall on the right???

i would not put leather next to glass ... you are all wound up in marco's bazillion dollar chairs.. and not addressing the elephant in the room ...

what is on the right wall ... all glass???

and if glass... how will a random isolated chair in the corner.. accomplish much at all?????

all i keep thinking.. is the 'time out' chair for drunkard uncle cosmo .... and if thats the case.. i surely wouldnt spend 6000$ for it ...

i am positive i live in a world different from marco.. all the power to him ... dont get me wrong.. in that regard .. they are sublime chairs .. but not for uncle cosmo ...

kjen

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

as i asked. ... and you ignored.. what is the wall on the right???

i would not put leather next to glass ... you are all wound up in marco's bazillion dollar chairs.. and not addressing the elephant in the room ...

what is on the right wall ... all glass???

and if glass... how will a random isolated chair in the corner.. accomplish much at all?????

all i keep thinking.. is the 'time out' chair for drunkard uncle cosmo .... and if thats the case.. i surely wouldnt spend 6000$ for it ...

i am positive i live in a world different from marco.. all the power to him ... dont get me wrong.. in that regard .. they are sublime chairs .. but not for uncle cosmo ...

ken

This post was edited by ken_adrian on Fri, Dec 12, 14 at 22:25

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Uncle Cosmo...hahaha.

• voila
    9 years ago

Ooh, Ooh, jterrilynn, MGBW has a factory outlet in Hickory, NC. Here is a link to their Facebook page stating that their furniture is 50% less than retail and this weekend is another 20% off! I see a peek of the Nico chair you are looking for in one of the outlet pictures. Call them to get a price, but also look at their Facebook pictures to see more really cool chairs to get a price on. Hope you see this, but I'm sure they will have more sales at this time of the year.

Here is a link that might be useful: mgbw factory outlet

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

ken_adrian, this bit of info was buried in another of jterrilynn's posts:

"The only problem with putting them in front of the sliders is that it would block the view of the pool . When you walk in its all open to the pool area."

So, without a photo, imagine sliding glass doors that look out onto a patio and pool. For me, imagining chairs in front of sliding doors is a no-no.

• marcolo
    9 years ago

It's a living room, not a synchronized swimming stadium. If I'm visiting someone's house and everyone is going to sit around on couches and stare at the pool, Esther Williams better be doing a performance.

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

I've had 6' sliding doors and I've had 8', too. Putting two chairs in front of the doors seems to me would interfere with traffic through the doors. Not to mention it's an issue frowned upon by fire departments. I'm sure the OP will do whatever seems right for her, but I don't think it's a good idea - whether or not you're watching synchronized swimmers.

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Power down there Ken_Adrian, I didnâÂÂt ignore I already stated that one side is the entry and the other wall is all sliders to the pool. And, yes it doesnâÂÂt have to be leather. I do like that Dijon color though and I LOVE the shape of those chairs.

I have always thought no furniture in front of sliders as well. In this case though it could work. I have very substantial walk ways on both side of the sofa group. After my tea IâÂÂll get on my little knee scooter and try to measure. Depending on the chair size I could still have maybe a 35âÂÂâ walkway or so. However, I think the chairs will have to be low and have to have open arms and or open back as suggested.

This is an odd little house and we have already had to change a few windows sizes and sliders. I call this house the house of slider door. The master bath we are remodeling had a shower that was two sides of sliders leading to a since dilapidated little atrium. PO owners did an abomination with that area so the whole room had to be gutted including the studs. There were two sliders next to the toilet in the guest bathroom, now thatâÂÂs gone. The master bedroom has two sets of sliders that waste the whole corner of the room so one of those will be changed to a window so I can have some wall space. The dining room has two set of sliders, one on each corner. Originally the kitchen had a slider; POâÂÂs changed that to a badly done window that needs to be redone. In this living area though IâÂÂm keeping the wall of glass. Excluding the media wall all the furniture has to be floated as its all open plan to kitchen, dining, entry and pool. So, in a nut shell IâÂÂll have to break some rules somewhere to make this a comfortable livable living room. There is not really another configuration for the sofa group. IâÂÂm ok with that. My goal was for me to get my own sofa to stretch out on for movies.

Voila, thank you so muchâ¦IâÂÂm off to have a look. IâÂÂm still thinking IâÂÂll have to buy used though and perhaps have something recovered. It would be nice if I didnâÂÂt have to though.

Tomato, I am going to have plants but IâÂÂm thinking maybe some plants on the media cabinet with some doodads. I may call for your help when I get to that section. IâÂÂm going to use the same brand ceiling speakers I used in my last house. The hard part for me is going to be switching to an in wall subwoofer. That black thing is a very good subwoofer that I hate to part with. In my last house it was somewhat hidden by furniture. I was hoping to hide it behind a corner chair in this house. However, I donâÂÂt want the whole room to look stupid.

• amykath
    9 years ago

I know this is not perfect. However you might be able to spray or paint the chrome with gold or something you like. It is only 239 and is leather. If you do not like this one, check out this website. I have purchased lighting with them and it was great customer service, quick delivery and I love the pendants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chairs

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Jtl, since it is your money we are spending (and having such fun with that!ðÂÂÂ), I am going to toss out an idea you did not ask for and I totally understand if you ignore it! Have you thought about building a wall of bookcases which include tv space on that wall where the tv and entertainment center are now? With your new chairs, I think that would be the perfect finishing touch!

Now that I have suggested that to you, I am looking around here thinking we should do the same! Ha. Will probably never happen.

• yayagal
    9 years ago

How about this, Ekorne makes the most comfortable chair in my opinion. We have two of them and they are heavenly. I think this color would work too and then you can add some foliage plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chair

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Maybe you need a pair of Ghost chairs there, so Uncle Cosmo could disappear.

{{gwi:2141476}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Ghost images

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

kd, if I had that kind of money, I'd be ordering 4 of those ghost chairs. I love them!

jterrilynn, is the subwoofer that round "black thing" over in the corner? If it is, here's a question for you: Can it take light weight? IOW, could you keep it if you had a weepy type silk plant that used it as a plant stand and would partially obscure it?

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cyn, I have a couple of half thoughts for that wall but nothing thatâÂÂs really inspiring so far. One is to do long panels on each side covered with some sort of cool wall paper. The other is to do some framed caricature paintings of family members or just a wall of art. I have a book case in the guest bedroom, I like it there and so do guests. The good thing is that I donâÂÂt have to worry about the dust as much unless someone is coming. I did find two different ads on CL with very nice book cases cheap. However, it started looking bunchy in my mind.

Tomato, now thatâÂÂs a good idea. I have a round antique brass chess board from Germany on top that I got at a garage sale for a few bucks. Maybe I could put some sort light fabric over the speaker and top with the chess tray and then a plant. I would like to find a solution because ceiling speakers really need a good subwoofer to sound half way decent. And, I donâÂÂt like the thought of spending money on a new in-wall speaker that will be crap in comparison.

KitchenD, those ghost chairs are handy especially in this open plan. I have one around the corner in the dining area at a tiny desk. It works well there because it sort of disappears and doesnâÂÂt fight with the dining chairs. Mine doesnâÂÂt have arms though itâÂÂs just square with a square back.

Yaya, those come up on my craigslist at least once a month. IâÂÂm going to think about that. The right two chairs for slider area might take a long time to find. I could do a corner chair while IâÂÂm searching and then resell when I find something I like more. It would be a nice place to read and where I could have a side lamp like Annie suggested.

Aktillery, I like that chair but do not think it right for the room. I think it would be not easy to change the finish with the leather in place. That site you sent is great! I wish there were a color I liked. IâÂÂm going to need a bedroom chair and a guest room chair though so I put it in my favâÂÂs. Thank you!

• louisianapurchase
    9 years ago

Jterrilynn,

I just wanted to mention that whatever chair you choose I think a Dijon color would look really nice in your room. My living room is painted in a color similar to yours (at least on my phone), and I have two leather chairs in a Dijon color that turned out to play extremely well with the wall color. In fact, I was somewhat surprised at how much I like the colors together especially next to my walnut bookshelves. Beautiful room by the way!

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Louisiana! Truthfully itâÂÂs not a big stretch with me decorating with the Dijon color as I have a history of always having some or much yellowy-ish tones. Strangely though I couldnâÂÂt picture it in a chair or chairs until Marcolo posted my dream Dijon chairs. ItâÂÂs a shame I didnâÂÂt have a better handle on the style/shape because I have missed some CL deals I think. Also, I was looking for single chairs as opposed to two. I will find them eventually, probably in or around the Boca Raton area at an estate sale. There is millions of that chair style in long ago designed Boca coastal condos or older planned communities in West Boca. That area had a little more flamboyant design in the early eighties compared to my area which is a bit further north and boring.