Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
callie25

BM Silver Sage

callie25
9 years ago

I want to paint my hall bath & possibly another room a very soft/pale gray/green. BM Silver Sage seems to be my 1st choice, but in some photos it looks darker & not gray/green at all. Any color suggestions? Brand preference is BM, Valspar or Behr paints.

Also, any recommendations on a light ivory color for the trim (don't think I want bright white). And what do you consider to be a very durable paint paint for the trim (will be applied over stained trim & cabinetry)? Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Comments (16)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

For both the walls and trim, if you get BM, get the BM Kitchen and Bath paint. For the walls, I'd do eggshell, and the trim semi-gloss.

Check out BM Nelson Blue. It's really more of an ethereal gray/green.

For the trim, maybe BM Ancient Ivory or Ivory White?

Nelson Blue:

• Swentastic Swenson
    9 years ago

Have you looked at BM Quiet Moments? Too gray?

• callie25
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tibbrix & Swentastic, I appreciate your input & am familiar with both of those colors (those are more saturated than I'd like). I'm looking for more of a pale/pale green with a touch of gray (almost a pastel). Any ideas?

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Farrow & Ball Dimpse?

• Swentastic Swenson
    9 years ago

You could also try getting the color you want but asking them to mix it 50%. I've had luck with that before too.

Tibbrix - that's straight from the BM website! Maybe my monitor is reading very grey not minty at all. We used it in a rehab and it had a very coastal feel.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I think Quiet Moments would be too blue and green for what it sounds like she's looking for.

How about BM Healing Aloe?

• mostone
    9 years ago

I am using Behr Dynasty Celadon and really love it.

{{gwi:2141432}}

• bsmith1
    9 years ago

I *just* painted most of my house a gray green. Silver sage was in my top two, along with conservative gray. I ended up mixing the two 50-50. I felt conservative gray was a *touch* too gray, and silver sage was a touch too green. Together, they're a PERFECT pale grayish green. Love it, love it, love it.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

oooh, bsmith, do you have a picture? That sounds lovely!

• callie25
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The Farrow & Ball Dimpse might be an option. bsmith1, I would love to see a photo of one of your rooms with your color choice/mix.

• dahoov2
    9 years ago

I've been looking for colors in the grey/green and grey/blue field too. I think I settled on BM Sea Salt I think it's called. However, I've tried to find photos of rooms using it and the samples online. Here's the problem. Each room looks different (lighting/poor camera angles or whatever) and each sample is even different. Some are glossy looking others not, some people saved it and it's not the same as other samples in coloration even though they apparently took it from the same original place. I don't get it. I guess the best thing for you to do (and me) is get three or four samples and try them. And not forget to look at them say four times at different times of the day/light.

Oh and for the blue I think I settled on Mt Ranier Gray. Also Benjamin Moore

• runninginplace
    9 years ago

I have most of my house painted in BM Quiet Moments, mixed at a 50% level. I love it and after 5+ years still enjoy the way it looks--a very calm soothing shade that works beautifully with white woodwork.

Here's my living room (apologies to those who have seen this same image umpteen times :):

And detail of the color with my white trim. The ceiling is painted with a custom mix of Quiet Moments lightened up by the genius at my local Ace hardware paint counter:

And one last image of the color on another wall of my house, taken with flash on a sunny day. It really doesn't read this minty in RL:

• moonshadow
    9 years ago

This is part of my kitchen after I painted the room in Behr Mountain Haze. The cabinet paint is a true white (Cabinet Coat) if that helps with perspective. To my eye Mtn Haze is more of a silver green than gray green. Due to lighting in that room (low in morning, high in later afternoon) I wanted to avoid a color that brought out too much of a true gray in the low light times so it wouldn't make the space feel dreary. I did the entire room in Mtn Haze about eight years ago and still enjoy it, I find it has a soothing influence for me.

Low light:

High light:

• busybee3
    9 years ago

I painted a previous master bedroom ceiling bm grey wisp which is very close to silver sage... the reason it looks so different in many pics is it really looks very different in different light- sometimes very light, sometimes darker, sometimes very blue, sometimes grey-green... it's a color where you really have to get a sample and check it at all different times of day if you're very particular about the shade... I loved it tho and loved how it 'changed'..... and, I also liked how it didn't looked too 'baby pastel' like some of those similar light colors can.

• bsmith1
    9 years ago

These were taken with lots of morning light. It's gray green without looking blue, which is exactly what I wanted. These pics were taken against a bright/high-hiding white door. Sorry for the crap quality. {{gwi:2141433}}{{gwi:2141434}} If anyone wants the SW formula for this color, I have it.