Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msrose

Bathroom is finished! (PICS)

msrose
16 years ago

I'm excited to show y'all that we finally finished a project! Ignore off the stuff on the counter. The boys don't know how to put things away when they're done :)

Laurie

Comments (49)

• daisyadair
    16 years ago

It is just beautiful! A true classic. Did you hang your own wallpaper?
    Very nicely done.

• rich69b
    16 years ago

Wow! I don't know how it looked like before, but this is just beautiful! Love the toile and the black cabinetry. Just gorgeous!

• teacats
    16 years ago

Gorgeous!!! What a charming elegant bathroom!!

Very well done indeed!! :)

• Sujafr
    16 years ago

Oh, just had to tell you how super that looks!! Two of my favorite things---toile and beadboard! It looks so great and thanks for posting your pictures to inspire us.

• teeda_2006
    16 years ago

It looks beautiful! I love that wallpaper. I think a footed silverplate tray on the counter holding pretty glass jars, soaps and hand towels in accent color (perhaps someone can suggest the color--I'm not good at deciding these things!) look great on the counter.

Nice job!

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Wow, it's beautiful! What a transformation. -- even if the mirror isn't framed :)

Who makes the horse toile?

Great job!! Love the paneling in there. Great choices.

• ellen624
    16 years ago

I really love it. What color was the cabinet/cupboard before?

• mry193
    16 years ago

Looks fantastic.
    Congratulations on a finished project!

• skypathway
    16 years ago

Beautiful, classic and nicely masculine. Are you going to add a color such as red or emerald green in towels and accessories or keep with the white and black scheme? I'm curious what it looked like before.

sky

• robbyrob
    16 years ago

It's just gorgeous. Well done!!

• msrose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

oops, I guess I should have posted the before pictures. The last time we decorated the bathroom, our boys were small and I wanted it to looks like a boy's bathroom. Now they're 13 and 17, so it was time for a more grown up bathroom. It doesn't exactly look like a boy's bathroom now, but I was dying to use toile somewhere and they actually liked the wallpaper since it had horses and dogs in it.
    {{!gwi}}

My husband ended up doing the wallpaper. It was his first time, but he's an engineer so he's a perfectionist when it comes to doing things like this. I was amazed that I couldn't even see most of the seams. I've included a link to the wallpaper

squirrel - I'm hoping the mirror will be framed eventually. :)

sky - For now I'm going to keep it black and white. If I start to get bored with it after a couple of year, I might add some red.

Thanks for all the nice comments everyone!

Laurie

Here is a link that might be useful: toile wallpaper

• polkadots
    16 years ago

Laurie, that looks fantastic! You should be so proud of yourself! Congratulations and enjoy it.

• User
    16 years ago

Very well done. Something both Mom and boys can love!

• posie4u
    16 years ago

I am rarely moved enough to speak about decorating issues. I make an exception here. You'r redecoration is gorgeous. I hope your boys appreciate what you and your husband have done for them and will finally start putting away their grooming tools. Great job and you both should be very proud of it.

• roguevalley
    16 years ago

Nice Laurie! I voted for one of the other wallpapers - but have to say that the toile looks fabulous!

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Oh Laurie, it looks just fabulous! It's a true classic. You and DH can be very proud of your work. Take a bow!!

There is a fun and easy way you can frame that mirror for about $3, and it's "the unexpected." Got a hot glue gun? Here's what I did. It isn't permanent. You can always remove it quickly by twisting a butter knife under the edge of each marble if you decide to go with a different frame later or if you don't like the look...

{{!gwi}}

One can use any color, but I think the clear like I used would look elegant in your bath. I have since taken the extra marble out of the corners, so there is just one row all the way around. People say "wow" when they see it. Using the clear marbles makes it reminiscent of beaded glass and the Murano look.

Once in a while one pops off (mostly over the metal mirror clips), but it's easily put it back in a flash with my hot glue gun. If you want to do it let me know and I'll give you a couple of tips.

• msrose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

oceanna- You always come up with such unique ideas. I see you did some of your wonderful painting in the bathroom also. It looks beautiful!

Laurie

• johnatemp
    16 years ago

Laurie,

It looks wonderful!! I am so glad you did the toile - very sophisticated.

Big pat on the back for you and DH for a job well done, indeed!!

Smiles:)

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Thanks for your kind words, Laurie!

I posted some more pics of that bath in the Gallery for the Decorative and Toile Painting board on the painted furniture thread a little bit ago. To get the semi-circle around the picture on the wall, would you believe I drew a pencil line around my laundry basket?

Well, this is YOUR thread and I didn't mean to change the subject but thought you might want to know this is an easy and impressive way to change a mirror for almost no cost. And if I did it over again I could make it look even better so I'd be happy to pass on tips if anyone wants to try it. It can be very stunning done in a color in some applications, too.

• skypathway
    16 years ago

Thanks for posting the before Laurie, now I remember it - really cute but clearly a kids bathroom. This one is still masculine but very sophisticated.

sky

• kitchenkelly
    16 years ago

Fab-u-lous!

• jjam
    16 years ago

Stunning. Absolutely perfect and what a transformation. Should win a prize in a before and after contest! I love the black and white and it will allow you to use accent colors in any number of shades if you should wish to. Great job in every way.

• Dora Vann Snider
    16 years ago

Such a gorgeous room! You all did great! Gives me some ideas for our master bath. Love the black cabinets and knobs.

Thanks for sharing,

Dora Lou

• patricianat
    16 years ago

Laurie, your room is improved by 100% and I am so happy you chose this paper as opposed to the newspaper. You have created a timeless and unisex room.

• totallyblessed
    16 years ago

Wow, gorgeous bath. LOVE the beadboard, the toile (with horses..... heaven!!), and the black cabinetry. It's just lovely. What a transformation. Good job (and your dh did so well hanging... impressed it was his first time!).

• juddgirl2
    16 years ago

Wow - what a transformation! The bathroom looks lovely and you should be very proud of your work.

Too cute that the hairdryer is in exactly the same position in both the before and after pictures :-)

• acoreana
    16 years ago

That looks fantastic!

What a transformation...the kids bath was adorable, but I love the new look. That wall paper is great.

Congrats on a job well done,

Nat

• msrose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

juddgirl2 - How funny, I didn't even notice that. I need to see if I can find a black or white blow dryer. That blue one sticks out like a sore thumb :)

Laurie

• perky_2
    16 years ago

adorable! Class act transformation! LOVE it.

Great job.

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Laurie, you are so funny! I love the way you think, girl. If the boys won't keep their bathroom picked up, just buy them hair dryers and stuff that matches the decor. hehehe

• brutuses
    16 years ago

love it, great job!!

• bungalow_house
    16 years ago

Looks fabulous! And I like the blue hair dryer with it! :)

• cattknap
    16 years ago

Great job!

• budge1
    16 years ago

All the adjectives I'd like to have used have already been used above, but I really, really like it.

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

Oh WOW Laurie!!! Your hard work paid off.. it came out just Beautiful! You would never know it was the same room!! love it!!!!
    Ree

• patricianat
    16 years ago

Laurie, the hairdryer and personal accoutrements give it a sort of je ne sais quoi. :)

• hoyamom
    16 years ago

What is the new phrase they were all talking about on the news? Oh yeah - OMG! That is such a beautiful bathroom!!

I love it and what a difference from before. I am so glad you decided on the toile instead of the news print - after your boys move out that will be such a nice bathroom for guests!

Enjoy!!

• never_ending
    16 years ago

UGH! Just when I think I've found a design for my tiny half bath, one of you guys post a totally gorgeous transformation and I'm back to square one!!! Now I'm thinking toile... I do love toile. Good for you, so pretty!

• msrose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, everyone. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that was thrilled with the transformation :)

Ree - I was hoping you would see my post, so you could see I finally finished something. How's your kitchen coming along?

Laurie

• DYH
    16 years ago

What an amazing transformation! Congratulations! A truly nice balance of B&W portions!

Cameron

• georgiagal
    16 years ago

That looks great! Makes me miss my old toile wallpaper in my old house. I love toile so much & yours is really pretty.

• pinegrove
    16 years ago

It looks wonderful!!

• kawfeeaddict
    16 years ago

Handsome!!!

• cottagemagpie
    16 years ago

Really, really gorgeous! I'm in the middle of a bathroom reno right now with wallpaper and oak cabinets--and I've been toying with painting the cabinets black--you've convinced me! May I ask what primer/paint you used and are you happy with it? I really want it to work well so it doesn't peel/chip. Thanks (and my apologies if you've already answered this)!
    ~Angela :-)

• msrose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Angela - You may want to read my other post. I have had some problems with it peeling. DH sanded those areas and repainted, so I'm waiting to see how it holds up. It was mostly where the doors touched the cabinet, so he also bought some those really thick pads so that wood doesn't touch wood.

Laurie

Here is a link that might be useful: paint post

• mustangs81
    16 years ago

I'm late chiming in here but I agree that it turned out beautifully. I always enjoy seeing the after of everyone's projects especially when this forum had input.

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

Hi Laurie
    you did a Fabulous job! I knew you would do it.. !!! I have been out of the loop for a while.. I take quick peeks to see how my GW friends are doingÂ. I did not finish the kitchen yet, I will start again right after the new year. Christmas was getting so close and was on the run.. ( isnÂt it crazy??) feels good in a way it Âs behind us , now itÂs time to get back in the swing. Hope you and everyone else had great holidays! Enjoy your beautiful bathroom!! I am proud of you!!! ( How do your boys like it???)
    Ree

• msrose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ree - It's funny because you wouldn't think boys would care much about the way the bathroom is decorated, but my 13 year was looking at this post with me the other day and when he saw the "before" picture, he mentioned that he didn't realize our bathroom looked so bad before. I've kind of lost my motivation for getting projects done, but I start back to school in two weeks, so I really need to get my entryway painted before then :)

Laurie

• levelyn42
    16 years ago

I'm so glad to see your finished bathroom, it turned out very nice looking, and knew it would, your black cabinets are perfect with the white counter. Good job on all the work. Evelyn