Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
love_the_yard

How did you decorate the end of your hallway?

I have a relatively short hallway - 12 feet long. There are two doors on the right and two doors on the left and a dead-end wall straight ahead. It is 4'3" wide. It is only 10" deep (the space between the dead-end wall and the last doors on the right and left). I have thought about a very narrow console table or accent table, if not too wide, but it could only be around a foot deep. Anything more than that will obstruct the last two doors. Also thinking about a mirror to add light and illusion of space. What else should go on this small table? A lamp, or is that silly? I don't want it to look hokey or silly or contrived. Right now it is a completely blank canvas.

If you have a dead end hallway like me, what do you have at the end? Any photos or advice will be appreciated.

Thanks!
Carol in Jacksonville

Comments (12)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

You might consider a demi-lune table as they take up less space and no floor space....

I had a narrow chinoiserie chest from my mother, a dried arrangement from a friend and a needlepoint I did many years ago that make a nice vignette. I also had the electrician put in a spot light so it highlights the area.

For xmas, I change it to my 2 reindeer and a wreath mom made me from scraps from my wedding gown.

• violetwest
    10 years ago

mirrors. I have a really strange multisided hallway which connects several rooms, and it's pretty dark. Until I can put in a solar tube, I've started a collection of mirrors, especially mirrored sconces, that bounce and reflect the light around. It's nice.

p.s. love the wreath, Annie--that's really sweet.

This post was edited by Violet.West on Sat, Dec 7, 13 at 14:46

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

We have a similar space in our house. I found a very small, but tall table and put an oil painting I fell in love with above the table.

• peaches12345
    10 years ago

A small 3 drawer chest with a lamp and several family pictures on it and a favorite print on the wall.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

At one point I had a life size photo of Humphrey Bogart... It had significance.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Nosoccermom, you win! I may just have to redo my hall! :)

• Mmmbeeer
    10 years ago

Deleted

This post was edited by Mmmbeeer on Wed, Dec 18, 13 at 19:35

• graywings123
    10 years ago

I'm working on that space in my house right now. I'm going to put up a large Audubon drawing and a pin-up sconce beside it. I had envisioned a table and lamp, but most everything would have obstructed the path into the bedrooms.

• porkandham
    10 years ago

My hall has a similar layout to cyn427's. I have a wall hanging that we bought in Greece on our honeymoon.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

Annie, both of your vignettes create a nice focal point without being obvious or contrived. It's just a nice look instead of a dead end. I don't think I'd care for a mirror where I'd watch myself walking down the hall.

porkandham, gorgeous hanging!!! And I love how you have hung it. Is that just a slim window rod and rings? Genius.

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

My hallway has our bedroom door at one end, the bathroom door on one side, and the opening to the living room on the other side (staggered, not directly across from the bathroom door), so my wall is only visible from the hallway. It's only a couple of inches from the bathroom door to the end, so I don't have room for furniture.

I built narrow shelves the width of the hall, for family photos. It's easy to change out and rearrange pictures, and they are always straight!

Ugh, I was pretty lopsided when I took this.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm