Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roarahgw

furniture arrangement options

roarah
9 years ago

I have a small sunroom connected to my living room it has a very large radiator that I never thought of blocking til this weekend when we wanted the room to more fully connect with our living room for conversational reasons while entertaining. Now I can not decide which layout looks best. The sofa infront of the rad does not seem to affect heating whatsoever but I am concerned that the sunroom sofa is similar yet different than the living room set so I am thinking it looks like I tried to match but failed.

Here is the set up from this weekend with the sunroom sofa facing the livingroom

Here is the way it looks in the room itself, fyi the room is used mainly as a play area for children ages 1 to 8.

Here is a before photo of the sofa along the narrow wall of the sunroom not very visable from livingroom

And a shot from within the room before

I realize there is very little difference but I would love your thoughts of which looks best for I am torn and so is my family:)
Thanks

Comments (27)

• Olychick
    9 years ago

I much prefer looking at the sofa than the radiator (and it doesn't at all look like a "miss"), but I like the sofa to the side, for views out the windows and to see the kitty! Is there a possibility of a low, narrow piece of wood furniture, a cabinet or bookcase, perhaps, or even a radiator cover, that would hide it and provide something nicer to view from the LR? Are those radiator covers in the LR? If so, any reason to not do the same in the sunroom?

• roarah
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Olychick for weighing in. I too like the rad blocked and my DH and I have made six rad covers so far but still have six more to go. The rad in the sunroom is a bit to high to make into a window seat like we have in many of our other rooms but it could serve as a long console table.However, it will not be a reality til after the holidays for we are DIY people and thus nothing ever happens quickly here:(.

• Christy Bell
    9 years ago

I like the sofa in front of the radiator. It looks inviting to go in there. I don't think seeing the two sofas is an issue. You have a lovely home.

• patriceny
    9 years ago

Looking at it from the living room, I prefer seeing the sofa instead of the radiator. But then once you're actually in the sunroom, I like the "before" shot better.

Helpful, aren't I? :)

• bpath
    9 years ago

Oh, definitely sofa in front of rad--it looks like a magazine picture!

• Sheeisback_GW
    9 years ago

I really like the sofa in front. REALLY like it! It doesn't look at all to me like a attempt to match fail. Very nice!

I always enjoy seeing photos of your home. I think it' so pretty. Love the pewter (?) coffee table too.

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

Your original configuration appears to provide more floor space. Since this is mostly used as a play room, I'd go with function over form.

Next time you have a party, you can move it again!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Definitely looks better in front of the rad, in fact it looks great ... not just because it covers the rad, but because it looks great!

Does it make the sunroom less usable?

• roarah
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Rut roo magazine like...honestly it is my best room the rest of the house is unique and not as photogenic.

Looks like it is close I think 4 to 3 in favor of the sofa infront of the rad. The actual usable space is about the same and in the after version the kids toys are more readily accessible instead of hiding behind the sofa they are in baskets in the left corner. So function is a draw I think.

Well next weekend we put the tree wheree the pewter table is so then the sofa will go back into the left corner and the room loses it playability for a few weeks but after that I think I might prefer to put the sofa back front and present.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    9 years ago

Let me make it 5 for in front of the rad. That first photo of both rooms is stunning and makes one want to go into the sun room, as it's so beautiful and inviting.

• lilylore
    9 years ago

The couch is much more pleasing to look at than the radiator from the LR, the arch frames it nicely and the couch gives balance to the bookshelf and chifferobe.

I don't think the two couches look like a mistake, and actually I like the subtle variation between the two. If you wanted to differentiate them more, you cold try deeper or brighter colored throw pillows in the sun room. Perhaps red, or a sunset color.

• nutsaboutplants
    9 years ago

I too like the sofa in front of the radiator. The rooms are so tastefully done and beautiful!

• catkin
    9 years ago

Very pretty rooms and I agree with the sofa placement!

May I ask is that wallpaper backing the book case behind the clock? It looks great!

• lindanewc
    9 years ago

Sofa in front of rad provides a focal point for that wall, looks great, and connects the rooms.

• voila
    9 years ago

The couch in front of the radiator beckons me in. What a beautiful home you have.

• detroit_burb
    9 years ago

I like the first photo best. you have lovely rooms.

• Mike121
    9 years ago

Personally i prefer to have an uncluttered look in my room so that way you had decorated before work well for me. Moreover, roman blinds can be used for the windows to avoid direct sunlight.

• amykath
    9 years ago

I think your two rooms compliment each other very well. I love the sofa in front of the rad. It looks beautiful. It is a gorgeous sofa and it should be on display. When I saw your first photo my eye was drawn into the sunroom. It looks so elegant. With the sofa on the other wall your eye just sees a rad. I 100% vote for sofa in front of rad!!! You have two fabulous rooms and I do not think the style of the sofa is so different and it compliments your living room furniture so nicely.

• amykath
    9 years ago

BTW, I love your green wall color! What shade is it?

• roarah
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks again for all the nice comments and letting me know which setup you prefer.

I really like the idea of red or I might try coral pillows in the sun room to differentiate the space a bit from the living room, Lilylore.

Catkin, I used a laura ashley contact paper I found at TJMaxx years ago on the shelves. I now only use removable papers after spending months taking wallpaper off all the walls in this house.

Mike, most of my house, although super organized and neat for I like a place for everything, is admittedly over decorated and busy but I ironically feel unsteady in rooms that are sparsely decorated. The windows in both rooms have roman blinds they are just up in the photos.

Aktillery, The sunroom is BM's Wedgewood Grey and the livingroom is a Glidden color, seal grey, mixed by BM.

So at least when the room is christmas tree free I think I will keep the sofa facing the LR. Thanks!

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I am so glad you are keeping your sofa in front of the radiator. It is beautiful and your rooms are stunning!

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I find that the sofa in front of the radiator, "pulls" you towards that room, i.e. it invites you to come hither. Definitely a hit!

Now, I have to ask how you can have such a gorgeous sofa in a playroom for little kids. Do they stay off it, or is there a secret? What's the material and manufacturer? Love it!

• roarah
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, nosoccermom. The sofa is in a linen and is actually just a placeholder til I can trust the little ones on my reupholstered antique seatee. I actually purchaced it from pier one on sale I think it is called the Collett.

The kids may sit to read,make tents or play on it but I do not allow eating away from the dining room, except on movie nights which are in our lower level den with white slipcovered sofas. I also have a designated craft area where the supplies may not leave without my supervision and We have a strick no sharpies allowed ever in my house:).

I feel that if we do not spend to much thought on childproofing our children will learn how to live among and respect nice things. All children who eat at my house eat off of my grandmother's china and drink out of small crystal goblets and it has never failed me. I can also trust my kids at homes that are not kid proofed because they are use to hearing "careful that is fragile".

I do place dangerous or really dear pieces out of the littlest's reach. I do not wish to temp fate.

• Swentastic Swenson
    9 years ago

Both these rooms are very pretty! I love the curtains and how they being in the green leaves from the trees outside. It's a great effect. I love the soft blue grey tones - very relaxing and cozy.

We don't have kids yet but its nice to know you can keep such a beautifully appointed house with little ones around! My friends all insist its impossible but you seem to make it work!

• roarah
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I wont lie it takes alot of discipline on my part and on thekids. When under three I am constantly watching, redirecting and often saying NO , which to many parents seems to be taboo nowadays. No cell use or tab while the youngest are up. I only go online during nap time. Oh and I instist that children nap in their rooms for two hours. I do not insist they sleep I just insist that they are in a safe area without me for two hours aday. And truthfully all my house pictures are taken during nap time or bedtime. During wake times my house is scattered with toys and books, but the nicknacks stay put:).

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Well, I didn't manage this with my kids and husband. However, I have to say it also depends on the kid. One came up with things that were pretty much unforeseeable, like climbing on top of the fridge at age 1.

• sixtyohno
    9 years ago

I didn't read all the posting so maybe this was said. I would block the radiator so the kids don't get near it while they are playing. My brother fell into one years ago and burned his arm. It was not terrible, but still.
    I love the couch in front of the radiator. Your rooms are lovely.