Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dgranara

Dining room questions and a little sneak peek...

dgranara
10 years ago

Here's a little (premature) before and after of my dining room:

We are only about 3/4 done with the wallpaper (hence the odd photo composition). I need advice regarding a new light fixture and window treatments.

I do think I want to hang some drapes, but I'm not sure how to approach this given the "busy" wallpaper. I think I need to do something to break up all those mullions.

As far as a light fixture...unfortunately, for now, whatever I choose will have to be "swagged." We have a ways to go in this house and moving the ceiling box for this fixture is not high on the priority list. Also, I love drum shades, but worry that they might be seen as trendy.

Thoughts (esp. on the drapes)?

Comments (30)

• peony4
    10 years ago

Oh, wow! The painted woodwork is lovely... What a pretty room this is going to be.

Regarding lighting, I like your current chandy but know the feeling of just wanting to get rid of what was already there. ;-) I'd recommend a simple, wrought-iron greenhouse-style pendant to juxtapose the wallpaper, and then simple, white linen curtains with wrought-iron rods.

Good luck... trust your vision. It's brought you this far very successfully, IMO.

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    10 years ago

My first impression when I saw the "before" photo was that I wouldn't paint the woodwork, but your "after" is SO pretty! You were brave to paint, and it looks wonderful.
    If you need drapes, my first instinct is to use a solid mid-to-light tone using a color from the wall covering so you don't upstage it. Light swags like the ones in the "before", but shorter, maybe sill-length would be pretty, and wouldn't cover the relatively small area of wall covering more than is necessary. I don't think I'd cover up the pretty windows unless you need to, but that's just me.
    Do you need to control light and privacy? Slim silhouettes that just about disappear when fully raised would be nice, with or without drapes or swags, unless you object to the non-traditional look. I think your room is very "fresh" looking, and you can easily carry off more contemporary lighting and accessories.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Oh my. I loved your before pic and when I scrolled down I was in awe. That wall paper is TDF! What a stunning room you are going to have. The wallpaper makes quite a statement so I would go with plain silk panels. I would use a crystal chandy, it would look luscious in your room but I love crystal and that may not be your taste at all.

• caminnc
    10 years ago

Oh that looks so much better. I like the idea of solid silk drapes but if silk is too formal, I would look for something like a linen. Are you keeping the DR furniture?

• Oakley
    10 years ago

Totally amazing!! I wasn't expecting *that*. While I like dark wood, changing it to white makes it so cheerful and would lift any rotten mood. lol

I'm a wallpaper girl, and your pick is perfect.

The only advice I can give you about the curtains is to do a LOT of research. Talk to pro's if you can. Figure out (if you don't really know) what your decorating style is.

Now if those windows and room were mine, I'd do lace, not because I'm on a lace kick, but lace would keep the room bright.

I would get white tiers, ( inside mount), matching valance, and a roller shade (hidden by the valance) to use for privacy or direct sunlight. Have you ever seen a room with the light filtered by lace? Beautiful!

BTW, the lace doesn't have to be frilly either.

I definitely wouldn't get long panels though. I wouldn't hide any of the paneling below the windows. Too claustrophobic.

• dgranara
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all.

Peony, I like the idea of a lantern shape. I'm a fan of lanterns and agree that the style would "go" with the wallpaper.

Saypoint, I guess privacy isn't really an issue. I was kind of thinking that drapes would soften that busy wall, but now that everything is white, maybe it's not needed? We struggled with painting the wood. Took us almost two years to pull the trigger! Ultimately, we decided to paint because the wood was *not* in good condition. It might've actually been plywood.

Holly and Cam, I like the idea of silk. This will likely be the most formal room in the house. The rest of the house is kind of farmhouse-y (technical term). The before photo is from the r.e. listing when we bought the house, so the furniture isn't ours. I have a round table I'm going to use, but I'll need new chairs and I'd love to put a small settee in front of the middle window.

Thanks Oak! I actually like lace and find my self looking at lace curtains often. I know they can veer into "grandma's house" territory, but I also think they could work in a farmhouse.

• romy718
    10 years ago

What a beautiful room! The wallpaper looks gorgeous with the white wood work . I wouldn't want to cover up the trim pieces between the windows (the little shelves where the wallpaper ends & the wood begins). The windows are beautiful. If you don't need window treatments for privacy, I would wait until you get your furniture & light fixture and reassess. Your ceiling - love it!

• Bunny
    10 years ago

Oh yeah!!! It looks amazing, can't wait to see more photos as the room takes shape.

• yayagal
    10 years ago

Here's a good looking lantern swag style. I don't know if it would be wide enough for your table but it would certainly look good.

Here is a link that might be useful: swag chandelier

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Actually, I think I'd spray paint the chandelier a cool color, unless its real brass. What's the color of the wall paper? And are you keeping the rug?

• francoise47
    10 years ago

Your dining room is gorgeous. I absolutely love the wallpaper and freshly painted wainscoting. I can't wait to see more pictures when you are ready for the full reveal.

Since privacy is not an issue, what about semi-sheer, inside mount roman shades in a light neutral with no pattern? White or natural linen might work well. Or, you could pick up a color from the rug or the wallpaper. The roman shade would soften the lines of the windows without competing with the wallpaper.

• bpath
    10 years ago

The before was so pretty, then I scrolled down and gasped! Lovely! You're right, something to soften the mullions. I was thinking a sheer with burn-out in a nature-oriented pattern, scattered leaves for example. Not too busy, but not plain which wouldn't soften the mullions as much, and would be too much contrast in plainness against the wallpaper. If you want plain, can you pick up the lightest (not the white) color in the wallpaper?

This is amazingly lovely. Well done!

• Karenseb
    10 years ago

I really like your painted woodwork and I think I would not add any curtains . The trim looks great and you should show it off. The door on the left would also be difficult to put a curtain on. As long as privacy is no issue, the lovely wallpaper and a new fixture will add enough interest.

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

Your room is gorgeous! I can't tell what colors are in the wallpaper though. I can't see a drum shade in there, not because it's trendy, but it just doesn't look as classic as your room.

• ratherbesewing
    10 years ago

Tell us about the rest of the room. I can't tell if it's an open room or if there is more wallpaper wrapping around the room. Is the wallpaper gray/white? Hard to tell. Although I am usually a panel girl, In this case I think panels may cover up too much of your wallpaper. Perhaps an inside mount roman shade is a gray linen.

• Oakley
    10 years ago

Danielle, Mtn. has a similar topic and Sunnycottage posted a picture of the tiers I'm talking about. Scroll down quite a bit, but I can see those in your room.

The rods wouldn't be expensive at all, I have a couple of them. They can be installed in two minutes. No screws!

Here is a link that might be useful: White tiers

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Can you get fabric that matches the wallpaper? If so, I'd love to see formal tailored valance out of the matching fabric. The wallpaper is so pretty, I want to see more of it. Of course, I'm probably an outlier here as I know so many don't like valances. But I think it would look lovely.

• Ilene Perl
    10 years ago

The room looks beautiful, love your color choices.

• likewhatyoudo
    10 years ago

Wow! That looks wonderful...
    I think some very simple roman shades with a inside mount in the darker tone of the wall paper for the windows.

I like nosoccermoms idea to paint the current light fixture and also remove the glass globes for a more current look. I would try that for now until you have the funds and energy to put in a properly hung drumshade chandelier.

BUT I could definitely see a drum shade in there!

A small scale sofa or upholstered bench for under the window area would look great.

[Contemporary Hall[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-hallway-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_743~s_2103) by Calabasas Interior Designers & Decorators Jill Wolff Interior Design

[Traditional Bedroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-bedroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_715~s_2107) by San Francisco Architects & Designers Taylor Lombardo Architects

[Traditional Dining Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-dining-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_722~s_2107) by Bellevue Interior Designers & Decorators Marianne Simon Design

• Oakley
    10 years ago

Annie, to me the problem with valances as the only window treatment makes a window look unfinished. And they've become very trendy with a valance only. I'm not one for trends so maybe that's why I use (for now) swags, where the sides are long.

Although I do like valances on small kitchen windows! :)

• luckygal
    10 years ago

I would use plain, sheer, white, inside-mount, window-sill length sheers. With that lovely wallpaper I would not use a pattern which would compete and the sheer fabric will allow the muntins to show.

If you love a drum shade please ignore the trends and enjoy one! Most are not so expensive that one could not change it in a few years if it seems too dated.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

This is such an amazing transformation. So pretty! Looking forward to seeing the final reveal.

• dgranara
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You all are too good to me!

I am seriously considering not using window treatments at all now - or, at least, not drapes. I don't know why I had it in my head that I just HAD to use drapes in this room. I never stopped to reevaluate once the painting was done.

Anyway, thank you for all of the helpful input. I will keep you posted on my progress. My MIL is coming over on Friday to help me finish up the wallpaper.

I'll try to find some pics of the rest of the room. Its somewhat odd...there are the windows, which you've seen, the two built-ins are across from each other and there is a small corner fireplace - not to mention a whopping FIVE doorways!

• Karenseb
    10 years ago

Don't force yourself into window treatments if you don't need them. They can always be added if something comes along that you know works. I Iike the open look you have now.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

oakley, valances can include swags and jabots....to me it just means a window treatment without full length panels. So I'm picturing something like this that would match the wallpaper and have the jabots stop where the wainscoting starts.

• busybee3
    10 years ago

your dining room is looking beautiful!!

i would probably hang silk panels in a taupey color (if that is taupe!) from your paper...
    i would hang a crystal chandy for sure! :)

• Boopadaboo
    10 years ago

I have no input. I just want to say it is Gorgeous so far! :)

• Pipdog
    10 years ago

Beautiful room. The painted woodwork makes such a difference and brightens the room up. I like the suggestion of trying to spray paint the chandy a fun color and maybe get some different shades.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Terrific wallpaper, and a beautiful room! Look at all those builtins, yowza.

As far as softening the mullions, I wonder if it would be odd to paint them a darker color. We did that in our DR here and it does mellow them. Not sure if it would work, plus you prob just painted them!

I would lean toward no or light WT, unless it faces a parking area that would be in use when you have guests. If I were hosting guest, Id probably want something that would soften that a little or distract.

• ice1
    10 years ago

I love what you have done. If it were me I would not have any curtains, light sheers at the most.