Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chris61_gw

Before & After - Year-end Review

chris61
16 years ago

Hi Everyone! I have been a member of this forum for just under a year and have really enjoyed reading the advice and seeing the projects develop.

I was thinking it might be fun to see Before & After pics of some of the projects from the past year, particularly from those of you that did not get around to posting the end result....probably because you were exhausted!

I have not gotten around to painting my kitchen cabinets yet, but hopefully many of you have completed your projects thanks to the excellent advice found here.

Cheers!

Comments (57)

• reno_fan
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Oh how fun!! I love before and afters. They motivate me to drag my carcass into action....

Here are some of my little projects:

{{gwi:1893070}}

{{gwi:1893072}}

{{gwi:1893073}}

• daisyadair
    16 years ago

Here a link to a few of my projects. There are two pages.

Here is a link that might be useful: Some of this years projects

• kitchenkelly
    16 years ago

Here is my FR. Thanks to everyone who helped me. Especially, squirrelheaven.

Before: Dec 2006

After: December 2007

• kitchenkelly
    16 years ago

And here is the kitchen:

Before: Dec 2006

After: Dec 2007

• DYH
    16 years ago

I'm really enjoying these photos! It's so amazing to see the results of home makeovers! Congratulations to each of you and kudos to any who provided input.

Cameron

• chris61
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the eye-candy everyone!

I am even seeing some projects that I missed over the past year!

What a testament to the power of this forum.

Congrats all.....and keep 'em coming!

• redbazel
    16 years ago

In my style of "Turtle Decorating" (fabric gets purchased 18 months before going up on the rods, tile bought in 2005 is still in a stack in the garage, waiting for the dryer box purchased in 2006 to be installed first) it's hard to know exactly when any room really got done. But I think I can count this kitchen corner, which got painted in BM Cornsilk when we moved in, and was used for dining for a bit....
    It started out kinda like this:

and once my $50 yard sale chair finally got recovered to work with the kitchen mini-remodel last year, it now looks like this:
    {{gwi:1893079}}

Red

(and nobody fuss over the switch covers that I got in ORB from Home Depot. I like my switches to stick out so I know what I'm doing. You should have seen my poor DH the one time I tried painting them to blend with the wall!!)

• redbazel
    16 years ago

I loved looking at all the photos in this thread so much that I'm bumping it back to the top in the hopes that more G'webbers will post their finished room shots.

Red

• threedgrad
    16 years ago

Before - my furniture arrived here in AZ Dec 2006

After - I changed out the light kit in the fan plus added my furniture includding new buffet as of early January 2008 - it's a rental house so I did not want to invest in a chandelier.

• nanc1966
    16 years ago

Here is my master bedroom....lots of help from here! Still need work...but much better!
    Before

After

• organic_smallhome
    16 years ago

Amazing! And inspiring, too. :)

• alex9179
    16 years ago

I've done a ton, but didn't take a lot of before pics. My best effort is recorded, though. I painted walls, cabinets, and countertops to make this something I enjoyed walking into, and I'm still tickled pink it came out so well.
    Kitchen before

Kitchen after

Now for that ceiling...

• johnmari
    16 years ago

OMG, Nanc, I had the EXACT same nightstands and dresser! (Had the rest of the set too - headboard, tall dresser, armoire.) I soured on the whole matching-set thing and sold it on Craigslist last year. Guy who bought them got an amazing bargain. Thank goodness I'd bought all except the armoire secondhand, so I didn't take too much of a bath on them.

BTW, my pictures have been moved to another site.

• amylville
    16 years ago

Dining roon before...

Kitchen before

Kitchen and dining room after

• mitchdesj
    16 years ago

I posted this on december 7

-"The after will begin next week but the real "after" will be viewable in march, I hope. Almost everything is ordered."-

Here we are january 12, I called the designer's office yesterday and ZERO , nothing has started yet, the tile has not even been loaded. I am away till the 16th so inevitably, I'll have to kick A?% in person.

• msrose
    16 years ago

amylville - What a beautiful transformation! What granite did you use?

Laurie

• momof1
    16 years ago

Amylville, love your transformation. I hadn't seen yours yet. Do you know the brand of your light fixtures?

• amylville
    16 years ago

Thanks for the great feedback. I have been a lurker in the kitchen forum for some time. Now i am on the decorating forum looking for paint and window treatment ideas. I will post my pictures in the kitchen forum soon.
    momofl my fixtures are minka lavery

msrose my granite is bordeaux: heres a close up

• bac717
    16 years ago

We redecorated the family room.

Before:

After:

• patti_bee
    16 years ago

What a great thread! And what wonderful, tasteful transformations! Truly inspiring. And I know how much agonizing each of us did over every single decision. Nicely done everyone. I'll see if I can find some befores to go with afters.

• momof1
    16 years ago

Thank you for answering Amylville. I like those.

• catkin
    16 years ago

kitchen kelly!!!

Is that Brazilian teak flooring in your family room?

It's stunning! Did you purchase online?

Thanks for sharing!

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Wow, what a lot of fabulous pics, hard work and superb taste!

Here's my paltry contribution...

Before:

{{gwi:1893087}}

During:

{{gwi:1893088}}

After:

{{gwi:1893089}}

Before:

{{gwi:1893090}}

After:

{{gwi:1893091}}

Before:

{{gwi:1893092}}

After:

{{gwi:1893093}}

• threedgrad
    16 years ago

oceanna, great furniture redos! Looks awesome!

Everyone - great decorating!

• kim2007
    16 years ago

This is a close to an after as Ive gotten so far! I dont have any true before pics because we lost them ALL from the whole house when the computer crashed last year. At any rate, this is what we removed from the half bath (that metal cabinet had a blue sink in it and a formica countertop with orange 1950s boomerangs on it, the floor had sputnik patterned vinyl, and the mirror frame was painted florescent orange, no lie! I suppose it could have been made into a funky retro style bathroom, but I didnt like any of it enough to do that:

This is literally all that was left in there:

This was taken last week:

And I just got done refinishing the floor day before yesterday (I still have to install new baseboards):

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Thanks Treegrad -- they sure needed it!

Kim, wow, your new bath looks stunning and I LOVE that floor! I think I'd stay in there too long just gawking at that floor. hehe

• kitchenkelly
    16 years ago

catkin, thanks. Yes it is brazilian teak/cumaru. I bought it from a local flooring company not online. I know polkadots and lindybarts has it, too.

• kim2007
    16 years ago

Oceanna, thanks! I said it before and I'll say it again, your reupholstered pieces are scrumptious! And yes, I keep wandering into the half bath periodically just to look at the floor!

• catkin
    16 years ago

Thanks, it certainly is gorgeous. Does it look that deep red/brown in person?
    It's looks so striking against your light trim color, black furniture pieces and wall color--also, I LOVE the windows! Such a cool idea! My DH would argue that a wall couldn't have all those windows because of the *weight bearing* issue. *sigh*
    I could use some more natural light! :~) Thanks again.

• sweeby
    16 years ago

This one was a one-day 'design remix' project thanks 100% to the great advice I got here!

Living Room Before:
    {{gwi:1893100}}

Living Room After:

• kitchenkelly
    16 years ago

hey catkin, the floors are pretty much as you see them. They are probably a notch down from brazilian cherry ( a little more red.)

I love my windows. People ask what is the best thing about my kitchen remodel and I say the windows in the family room. lol. I know my contractor had to put an extra header to support it. I found a pic in a Marvin window catalog (while I was supposed to be looking for a patio door) and asked my GC, "Can you do that?" I was lucky that I could order stock windows and they fit well. Kept the cost down.

With that said, I LOVE sweeby's windows. Puts mine to shame. I would love that much light and that view!

• bindersbee
    16 years ago

Sweeby- as a Landscape Architect, I ADORE your floor to celing windows! I love how they merge the outside with the inside. I'd love to have that.

Great pics everyone. I'm hoping to have some huge before/after pictures for this year as we'll be finishing the basement (1,600 sq feet of it).

• catkin
    16 years ago

Thanks for your reply!

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

I don't have a dramatic gorgeous remodel like so many that I see here. I just love seeing the transformations. I guess that's why I'm addicted to Gardenweb and Flip This House shows. Great job by everyone on here!!!

I do have a virtual before and after I could share. Since we can never give Squirrel enough Kudos, I thought I'd show how she helped with our paint on our build. We couldn't decide what to do with the ceiling. We opted to do it all in one color. Restoration Hardware Cappuccino.

Squirrel's rendition:

Final Paint but still needing more decor!

• marthavila
    16 years ago

Thanks for this wonderful thread and to all of you for sharing your wonderful transformations! It's all so very inspiring. Hope to join the "before and after" crowd next year. So far, it's mainly been a whole lot of "during." LOL!

• chris61
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Happy New Year All! Great to see this thread revived in the new year....good way to chase away the winter blahs.

• brutuses
    16 years ago

BEFORE

AFTER
    {{gwi:1436069}}

• black-thumb
    16 years ago

Wow I totally enjoyed all the remodels. You all did a fantastic job!

• loribee
    16 years ago

Sweeby, I love your makeover! Your room looks amazing!

• dixiedo
    16 years ago

Great thread everyone!! Thanks for sharing your hard work!!

• mcgivnec
    16 years ago

Wow, everyones' projects are so impressive!

Here are before and after pictures of our master bedroom redo. The before pictures I posted are probably the worst our room ever looked (yikes!). It was right before our rennovation and things were a mess in there!

Before:

AFTER:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Chrissay

• demeron
    16 years ago

Georgeous, Chrissay... I'm going to do a search to find your paint color. Did you refinish the dressers?

• teach2007
    16 years ago

Bac717, where did you get your light fixture with the shade?

• bac717
    16 years ago

teach2007 - We've had that fixture in the kitchen for at least 3 years, but it still may be available. It's called the Devonshire pendant from Sea Gull Lighting. Good luck with your search.

• ladyamity
    16 years ago

Wow!
    Talk about awe-inspiring!

You all have done incredible jobs at transforming something regular into something spectacular!

I can't stop scrolling back up and starting over again looking at these before and afters.

Thank you. Each of you who posted pictures, thank you!

Not one of my inside projects are close enough to finished for me to post photos.
    If I posted pictures now of inside projects, you all wouldn't be able to tell the difference between Before and During. lol

Are outdoor areas OK to post here? I ask because we got sidebar'd from a couple indoor projects and started outside.
    The outside is much further along than the inside--and I have obvious before and afters.

I'm scolling back up again -- gotta get me another fix of all your wonderful projects.

• sedeno77
    16 years ago

My biggest project last year was the front yard driveway and landscaping:
    Before:

After:

Minor tweaking in LR - new rug and console
    before:

After:

• laurmela
    16 years ago

Well I redid the master bath
    Before

After

And the master bedroom
    Before

After

Now I am working on the living room and dining room. Always something to do.

Fun to see everyone's pics.

Toodles,

Laura

• brutuses
    16 years ago

chrissay, so pretty!!

• travisandjill
    16 years ago

chrissay, what was your wall color?

• redbazel
    16 years ago

I'm just bringing this great thread back to the top in case anyone finished something and wants to add.......or if anyone wants to answer questions raised.

Red