Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reno_fan

Update on yellow & blue kitchen: Think I have the right yellow!

reno_fan
15 years ago

Dingdingding, I think I have a winner.

I went ahead and painted a sample above the sink, and on the crown to the left of the sink arch. This is without the glaze, but I think the glaze will add just the right touch:

Thoughts?

Comments (27)

• parma42
    15 years ago

Oh reno! I think you have a winner there. It's not too bright at all and looks so rich.

I was in the camp of leaving your kitchen the way it was but I truly LOVE the look of this.

Which one was it?

• Oakley
    15 years ago

Love it since I'm doing yellow the same way in my white kitchen! I like yours because it doesn't shout "Yellow!" and looks very creamy. What brand and color did you use?

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

yup a winner all right. cant wait to see it finished. what glaze will you use? Your floor will just bloom with the yellow and blue.

• nanny2a
    15 years ago

DingDingDing!! is right! That looks yummy, and so perfect! I can't wait to see the finished room. That shade looks so creamy and subtle, and is just the right shade against the blue.

• amysrq
    15 years ago

You got it! Color please....? :-)

• reno_fan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

((((Wiping forehead)))))) WHEW! I'm as sick as a dog, and am loopy from medication. I was hoping my "It looks right to me"-meter was telling me "yes" accurately! Thanks for the confirmation!

Would you believe it's a color I had custom matched several years ago? I had several yellows in my paint collection, so I thought I dig them out and see if I could find one that's a close match to what I was trying to do. (That's how I found out how hard yellows/creams were...I was trying to paint a room yellow and I must've tried 17 different colors before I got it right!)

I don't have a color name, just the formula in SW paint. Either way, it's just the yellow I wanted, and it was in my garage the whole time!

If I wasn't so sick, I'd be painting now. Usually I'm more stubborn than sensible, so I'd just work through a sickness, but painting just that upper part left me feeling dizzy and achey, so I'm forced to sit down until I'm better. Dangit.

Now that I have the right color, it's like torture not being able to dive into the project!

Also, I was leafing through one of my favorite kitchen books, and I found this set of photos that I'd bookmarked a while ago. I guess this sort of planted the idea in my head...

• teacats
    15 years ago

Lovely shade of yellow! And the glaze will age it nicely too!

Hope you feel better soon!

Jan

• powermuffin
    15 years ago

That is very nice. I think you've found it too.
    Diane

• kitchendetective
    15 years ago

I love it!

• totallyblessed
    15 years ago

I love it too! I prefer the creamy yellow-ish to a true golden yellow. I think it's perfect. It's not as "yellow" as your inspiration photo, but I still think it's going to be sooo spectacular with the glaze. You can add a heavier glaze if you think you want more "definition" up there. But then, I don't need to tell you that.... you are the pro!! :o)

Hope you feel better soon. Can't wait to see your "new" kitchen. :o)

• sedeno77
    15 years ago

You are my hero!
    It will look gorgeous - can't wait to see it - now, you will truly have the kitchen you wanted: french country!
    Get well soon -

• roguevalley
    15 years ago

Nice!!!!

• Molly Brown
    15 years ago

I also think it's a winner !! Why am I not surprised? I would have a nervous breakdown just thinking about repainting a NEW kitchen !!! That's what I enjoy about you...you just go and do it! And you know what else I like?? That you didn't pick up the kitchen to take the photos...it's just like...normal. I love it.

• User
    15 years ago

Fab-u-lous!!!

• CaroleOH
    15 years ago

Looks wonderful. I also love the backsplash of your inspiration photo. Hope you feel better soon, you only have a few days to get this all done before Christmas!!! :-)

How did you paint over the white? Did you have to sand or prime or anything?

• bellaflora
    15 years ago

That's so gorgeous & will look perfect with the terracotta floor.

Can you tell me how you paint those cabinets? do you spray them or hand brush them?
    Thanks!

• threedgrad
    15 years ago

I think your custom paint color is like butter. Remember that Mike Meyers' character Linda Richman on the Coffee Talk skit on Saturday Night Live from years ago when "she" said that Barbara Streisand is like butter. Well, your color is like butter the food group and "like butter" meaning perfection.

• arleneb
    15 years ago

Beautiful! Now get well so you can finish up!

We've been sick here, too -- since Thanksgiving -- which has prevented me from starting my "perfect yellow" search. Sorry yours isn't a color I can investigate!

Arlene

• ezbake
    15 years ago

reno... will you be my personal decorator? You are good!!!

• madeyna
    15 years ago

Thats the yellow in my living room .Its really easy to live with and your going to love it when its done.I cann,t wait to see your finished kitchen.

• moonkat99
    15 years ago

You can add my "It's perfect!" to the chorus.

Don't you just love when you're looking for something & discover that you already have it? :) I can SO relate on the 17 cans of paint just for one room - thank you thank you thank you for letting me know I'm not the only one! Love love love those places that sell you the samples :D

Looking forward to the glaze - hope you feel well asap.

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

threedgrad, "like butta"! Put some New York in it, lol!!!! I can say that, I AM from New Yawk! :) And yes, Reno, it is going to be gorgeous!

• sillymesillyne
    15 years ago

I think it's very pretty. But I was wondering what it will do to your back splash? On your blue island thread that you posted on Sunday.. the 7th post from the bottom up if you look at that first kitchen pic, can you see how horribly bright yellow the lighted back splash looks. I saw it in a couple of the other kitchen inspiration pics, too. I don't even remember if you have lighting installed under your upper cabs? You can see the back splash true color in that same pick.. it doesn't look like it is the camera or flash that causes that to me? If it were my kitchen, I would test paint one of the bottoms of your upper cabs, just to be sure. Maybe it wouldn't do that with your (lighted) back splash since yours is white?

Maybe it's nothing? But that is a very beautiful kitchen. I like it both ways. And I think the yellow is very pretty with that nice blue you used. Just a caution. You're doing a great job!

Silly

• patricianat
    15 years ago

Oh, please take a break and allow yourself to heal. There is always another day. You have such a beautiful kitchen and a great eye for design. I think it looks wonderful and will look even better once completed. Have a very happy holiday season and allow your body, joints and decorating mind to rest.

• reno_fan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks all! I'm eager to feel well enough to begin work. It'll be a bear, as I'll have to sand and prime all of the doors. Ugh. But so worth it.

Bella, I will likely brush the cabinets this time. We sprayed them last time, and it's an unholy mess. Not to mention, the puny sprayer we have locks up in cold weather, and right now it's like 12 degrees outside.

Silly, I'm not sure I'm following you. I do have an off-white backsplash, so I guess I'm confused as to what you're saying. If I'm understanding you correctly, you're talking about this photo, which was the first kitchen posted in the 7th post from the bottom, going up:

If so, then obviously our backsplashes will/would look different, as the backsplash in that photo is a yellow/cream color to begin with, where mine is off white. Flash or not, that backsplash is a different look than what I'll have.

I rather like the following looks that have both the warm yellowish cabinets, but lighter, whiter backsplashes:

While mine will have a different look than those, that's the "feel" I'm wanting.

I'm SO bummed that I'm not feeling up to the job right now. I could be half-way done by now.....grrrr.

• pecanpie
    15 years ago

Sorry you are puny, reno. Have some hot chocolate- maybe some Bailey's in it! Kills germs, you know.

My very favorite part of the picture is your chair- right next to the counter where you finished painting, hopped off it to snap the picture, downloaded and posted. You don't waste any time.

And I do love the color as well!

Stay warm!

• reno_fan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Tee hee, Pecan.... when I got that little bit of paint up there, I went, "Uh oh, not feeling so well....", and quickly hopped down to upload photos and get some feedback before I cratered.

I even left the syrup on the countertop from my Eggo breakfast!

Only folks on this board would understand the importance of finding the right yellow instead of cleaning up for a photo! LOL!