Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meg711_gw

msrose -- re mixing warm and cool

meg711
16 years ago

Hi Laurie,

I didn't want to hijack Kittycat's caramel thread but wanted to continue the discussion since I think I need additional thoughts about balancing out the warm and the cool--or what I call balancing out my previous decorating mistakes and choices. I understand your issues completely. (Or maybe I don't and only hope that I do.)

Our cabinets and floors tend toward a reddish golden color. The walls and carpet, though they are tan, must be a cool tan if that even exists. So while I love the wall color and the cabinet/floor color, I don't love them next to each other. Ditto the stair runner and the hardwood floors.

I just keep thinking that they're neutral so it will work but I'm not completely convinced. Luckily I found a rug that will bring it all together in the family room. And I think I've finally found some fabrics that "marry" the golden and tan colors, and the blues I want to use.

New family room rug:

Fabric for kitchen WT:

Fabric for stools in kitchen:

So what colors are you trying to combine?

Comments (8)

• Phobie Privett
    16 years ago

Just wanted to say I love your choices. They are beautiful! I love that blue! Need something like that for my MB and bath. Where'd you find the rugs?

• koidom
    16 years ago

Very nice!

• msrose
    16 years ago

meg - I didn't think you could mix cools and warms and have it look right, but it looks like you found a way to make it work. My house is decorated in shades of taupe. My carpet and furniture isn't that old, so I can't replace it, but I would love to go with the warm golds and yellows. I'm still thinking about using something warm in my kitchen even if it doesn't flow with the rest of the house.

Laurie

• meg711
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Laurie. I had the same problem in my powder room trying to find a mirror that would go with the chocolate brown of the sconces and the darker ebony of the vanity, and the ORB and brushed nickel. Finally found the right one after sampling about 15 frames.

superchick, I've been looking for traditional hand-knotted rugs for months now with limited success. What are you looking for and where are you? I don't know what your budget is but I have many many photos I could share.

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Meg, I love your choices. I think this is going to look spectacular and I can't wait to see your photos.

• jerseygirl_1
    16 years ago

I like the textures alot.

I mix cool and warm colors all the time. I will post some pictures this week. 2 Rooms will finally be just about completed.

• redbazel
    16 years ago

The problem with 'neutrals' is, that you can't always mix them with each other. And one poster who has a thread about trying to make Restrained Gold Work against Latte illustrates this very well. When you have a pink-toned color in the cool zone and a warm golden toned color next to it, the effect becomes muddy and not pretty. I tried (and tried and tried) to make the grey-blue vanity tile in my master bath work with some of the warm colors that I use for my furniture upholstery and walls. I kept thinking that I could pull it off. Finally, I gave up and did my walls in a cool periwinkle blue to work with the tiles visible from the bedroom, and worked in some golds and deep pinks in my drapery fabric. The result only depressed me. I need the warm tones in my house. We broke down and spent the money to re-tile the bath. Now I can paint what I want and use the fabrics I like.

If you can get your rugs and fabrics to tie in more undesirable tones at a minimum of cost, then, go for it. But keep in mind, that sometimes it's like trying to plant plants that need Full Sun in a mostly shaded area. They live, but they don't bloom.

Red

• meg711
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks oceanna! I can't wait to see photos either. LOL. It's going painstakingly slowly. And just when I thought I had found the right rugs for the livingroom and entry hall, the designer convinced me that they weren't terrific. "Nothing special" is what she said. She also said that since I'm so particular, I'll probably get tired of them very quickly. The other problem with the one rug is that the center field made most of the fabrics turn a very strange color. Maybe it's another warm/cool thing going on.

I would love to see your photos jerseygirl 1. I started this process totally ignorant of the warm/cool issue. I knew there were cool colors and warm colors, just not how it works IRL decorating. And now to find that white can be pink, green or gold is really throwing me off.

Very good points red. I was trying to ignore my golden cabinetry but it's like ignoring an elephant in the room. Now that I'm embracing the golden tones, and even adding in bronze and rust tones, I think it is actually working.