Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pps7_gw

Guest room queen vs. king bed?

pps7
9 years ago

I am in the process of updating my guest room. My mom just retired and I'm hoping my parents will be visiting quite often: 5-6 times a year. The room is fairly large 13.5 x 13. Right now there's a quees mattress set on a metal frame, nightstand, secretary desk, lamps, & chest of drawers.

I'm ready to purchase a bed but I'm torn: should I get a king or queen? My parents currently have a queen and they don't really care. They are fine with a queen. I have other guests sporadically throughout the year. I sure some would prefer a king. The other nice thing about a queen is that I can put 2 twin mattresses on the floor for kids. I will still have room for one twin if I get the king but not 2.

The only thing my parents have requested is a new desk, with a large flat working surface. I can probably fit a 48-52" desk with either queen or king bed. Here is the desk I'm considering:

Any recommendations for reasonably priced upholstered beds?

Comments (57)

• daisychain01
    9 years ago

I prefer a queen. A king feels overwhelming - can't make it without help, might lose my partner, etc. I also like some floor space.

If you prefer a king though, I'd get a king. Visitors are probably going to be happy with either.

• erinsean
    9 years ago

Here is my question......do you have another king size bed or queen size bed? If you have a king size....then buy another king size.....the bedding will fit. If you have a queen size...then buy another queen size for the bedding to fit. You CAN fit king size bedding on a queen but can't fit queen size bedding on a king size bed. This is my practical side speaking.....I want bedding that fits all the beds in my house (twin beds excluded).

• aputernut
    9 years ago

Queen, that room is not that big.

• hhireno
    9 years ago

As a guest, I much prefer a king. I would prefer more sleep space, in a foreign bed, in a foreign house that may already be disrupting my sleep pattern, than walking around the room space.

Something to consider: an upholstered bed needs to be vacuumed, which isn't as easy as running a dust cloth over a wooden headboard. I have and slightly regret having an upholstered bed for that reason.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

My 6'4" SO votes for the king ... he is currently occupying a queen bed all by himself and it's too short!

• bonnieann925
    9 years ago

As a guest I would prefer a king, but most guest rooms (our included) have a queen or twins. It looks like the room might be larger than 13.5 x 13, or at least that wall looks like it could handle a king. What do your parents have at their home? To me, that would be the determining factor.

• pps7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

To follow-up with more information- my parents have a queen at home. Most of our other guests have a king at home. We have a king in the master and my son has a queen in his room so currently we have bedding in both sizes. The duvet and comforter in that room are king. I would need to purchase new sheets. And of course a new mattress. My son's mattress needs to be replaced do we would move this one to his room and get a new one for the guest room. I just measured and the room is 13'4" between baseboards. Honestly, the queen looks puny in there, but that may be because there's no headboard. I'm worried a king will be too overwhelming. See, I can't decide and that's why I haven't been able to do anything!

Oh well, I will purchase the desk soon. I wish I could find one in that style that's 52" but 48" should be sufficient. DH and I are both physicians so we use the guest room quite a bit when we are on call so as not to disturb each other.

• sas95
    9 years ago

I don't think the queen looks puny in that room. Once you have a headboard, the scale will be much bigger. The king would be overwhelming, especially in the type of bed you are considering.

I don't feel obligated to replicate for guests what they are used to sleeping on at home. We have even slept in guest rooms with full sized beds and have been just fine, as long as the mattress and the surroundings are comfortable.

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

As a guest I like kings but I do sleep on queens without complaint. A king is a nice luxury but not a necessity.

There is also something to be said for not making guests TOO comfortable!

• alex9179
    9 years ago

DH and I slept on a queen until a few years ago when we upgraded to Cal king. On our last vacation visiting family, we slept on a full and were perfectly fine (we aren't tall). Shocked the heck out of me, because I was worried. I don't like touching when sleeping...I get too hot.

I think a queen is more than adequate and a king is downright luxurious. If you go for the big bed, get a Cal king. Longer for tall people and more than wide enough for couples at 72 inches. You'll have 88 inches for side table/desk. I have to order sheets for mine, though. Don't know if that's a consideration for you.

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    9 years ago

My California King is just fine for me in my 12x18 bedroom. Plenty of room for me and my 2 dogs!

• ellendi
    9 years ago

IMHO, your parents are the most important guests you will have. If a queen is fine with them, I would go with that. This will give more room for the desk, as it looks like they want to be able to use the room for things other than sleeping.
    Could you fit a small chair in a corner?

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

I am 6-6 and have a queen. Get a king for the guests and you might find yourself hearing how much they enjoy the romper room space.

yes, my feet hang out over the end of the bed, but they have done that for 30+ years of marriage.

• Kippy
    9 years ago

I had a queen, went to a Ca King and back to a queen. I like the queen better because I can spread out in the center of the bed if I want, with a king I could feel the point the box springs met

• lolauren
    9 years ago

I absolutely prefer a king. I'm a light sleeper and wake up if I can hear/feel DH moving around. Of course, I don't expect that everywhere I stay as a guest.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

My 6'4" SO votes for the king ... he is currently occupying a queen bed all by himself and it's too short!

If length is an issue, you'll have to get a California King - a regular (Eastern) King, and a Queen, are the same length, they just differ in width.

• nightowlrn
    9 years ago

I vote queen. If they will visit that often, they might want a proper dresser, a chair and TV, a desk, and a nice bench at the foot of the bed for suit case, etc. My husband is 6'4" and we have always had a queen. No problems there for us, but YMMV.

Good luck with your decision. What a wonderful child to be considering them so much.

• amykath
    9 years ago

It sounds to me from what you have said, that deep down you want a king. Once you get the desk, measure using the bed you want to buy and use tape or other low furniture to mark out a king bed.

Good luck!

• maire_cate
    9 years ago

It a king bed fits without dwarfing the room then I'd go with the king. I think most couples who are used to sleeping in a king would be more comfortable in a king rather than a queen. DH and I had a queen for the first 10 years we were married and when we moved we switched to a king. On those occasions when we sleep in a queen I do not sleep as well. I guess we're used to having our own space and DH radiates heats like an oven.

• amykath
    9 years ago

Looking again at your room, it looks pretty large. The high ceilings and large window really add to that feeling of spaciousness. I love that huge window and the color of your walls.

Could you please share your wall color?

• pps7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Update:

My mom admitted she wouldn't mind a king size bed. So went ahead and got the desk and moved the bed over so get gets a feel for how narrow the aisle is going to be. We'll leave it like this for a while and see how she feels.

New desk: need to get a glass top for it.

{{gwi:2141303}}

Room overall: wall color is BM silver fox

{{gwi:2141304}}

The narrow side:
    {{gwi:2141305}}

{{gwi:2141306}}

Opposite the bed: as you can see there is a huge reach in closet. I love the chest of drawers but I can move them if needed. The storage is nice but not necessary.
    {{gwi:2141307}}

• amykath
    9 years ago

Can you push the bed closer to the desk and get a wider side table to balance the desk?

Maybe something like this?

Here is a link that might be useful: Bedroom

• tuesday_2008
    9 years ago

We have slept in a king bed for the entire 44 years of marriage, and I LOVE king beds. However, In someone else's guest room, I would be completely happy with a queen. In fact, I think I would rather have the extra floor space when visiting someone's home for the bags and "stuff" that one takes with them when visiting/travelling.

• pps7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. I am now stuck on trying to find a bed that I love. If anyone has any suggestions-please let me know!

The bed I posted is from Home Decoraters and reviews are horrible as far as the assembly. My DH is not handy and he's totally against making that purchase. He doesn't want to have to deal with the hassle and wants me to find a bed from a proper furniture store that will assemble it for us. The bed is pretty economical so I might hire a handyman to do it for us. On the other hand it seems like tufting and nailhead are everywhere in décor. I have quite a bit of it in my house and I'm not sure if I'm overdoing it.

I had originally intended on purchasing an iron bed for that room but I thought an upholstered bed might brighten it a little and soften the space.

aktillery,
    I've pushed the bed over so my mom can get a feel for how much aisle space there will be with a king. If we keep the queen, I will shift it back a little. I know that table is small, but beautiful and I already own it so I will keep it for now as the room evolves. I have 2 of those end tables so it might make more sense to use those as night stands, get rid of the chest of drawers and move the desk where the chest is.

Please make bed suggestions, because right now I'm drawing a blank!

• lascatx
    9 years ago

I would move the desk to where the chest is just so it would be more open and have better light. It seems uncomfortable in that corner. I also think even a queen with the added width of an upholstered frame would start to feel a bit cramped -- a king definitely would. Using both tables as nightstands and moving the desk would give a better balance and enough room to go with either size bed.

Are you wanting an upholstered frame (rails and all), headboard only, have a preference? I think it was the Victoria in the linked page that I saw in a store when shopping for something else -- thought it was really pretty. It has simple lines and an open feel, so I think it could work with your desk if you like the rolled top. I linked the entire selection in case you want to stay with straighter lines and look at the others.

Here is a link that might be useful: upholstered beds

• pps7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Now, I'm in big trouble! I decided to just stop by the new mitchell gold store. I was so excited to have one in town. And I fell in love with this bed! The fabric is so Lux! Of course it 3x the price of the home decorators one, but the quality doesn't compare. So....I'm thinking of putting this new one in my room and putting my king bed in the guest. We could get rid of the chest, move the desk where the chest is and put 2 small nightstands in the guest. There will still be 38-40 inches on either side of the guest bed.

My current bed:

Possible new bed:

• CaroleOH
    9 years ago

Sounds like a great solution! I'm glad you decided on the King. I love a king bed - if you have the room, why not have the more spacious bed?

I have a cherry king sleigh bed and and am contemplating selling it and getting a bed similar to the one you posted - no foot board. I do like having a foot board, but it takes up room and I think my bedroom would be more spacious without it. Love to hear how you like your new bed when it comes!

Garnet Hill also has some nice upholstered beds.

• CaroleOH
    9 years ago

Sounds like a great solution! I'm glad you decided on the King. I love a king bed - if you have the room, why not have the more spacious bed?

I have a cherry king sleigh bed and and am contemplating selling it and getting a bed similar to the one you posted - no foot board. I do like having a foot board, but it takes up room and I think my bedroom would be more spacious without it. Love to hear how you like your new bed when it comes!

Garnet Hill also has some nice upholstered beds.

• oaktonmom
    9 years ago

Sorry, but I prefer your current bed.

• pammyfay
    9 years ago

Do you have a Z Gallerie furniture store in your area? They have an upholstered bed or two, prices aren't bad (at least, the last time I was in).

I have 2 armless Mitchell Gold chairs -- I really loved the style when I bought them, but I really regret spending so much money for them because they aren't very comfortable (live and learn, for me -- arms are a good thing on chairs while watching a movie!). I think their products have a ridiculously high markup, and I'm certain you can find comparable items at much better prices.

(And I like that you have a soft chair with the desk -- maybe coupled with an ottoman in the room can give either Mom or Dad a quiet "getaway" space for reading!)

• pps7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the feedback!

Pammyfay, I've had a mitchell gold sofa for 3 years and I love it. Very comfortable and it's held up great. We eat and drink and live on that thing. Mitchel gold is what I consider to be in the medium range for both quality and price. I don't expect the sofa to last forever, but I do expect it to last a good 10-15 years. I bought it in the stock fabric so it wasn't super pricey. I do agree some of the stuff can get pricey and it can get outrageous for custom.

My current bed is ethan allen and I love it. Very well made. Unfortunately, I'm not loving any of their style options right now, or else I'd just purchase another one from there. I am open to suggestions. I'm not rushing out and purchasing this bed tomorrow. I do think doing the king with the desk across is the right way to go. I have a huge closet in there and I should take advantage of that.

I'm not 100% committed to upholstered! I love the look of iron beds too. But I'm not sure how comfortable they are. So please, feel free to suggest your favorite bed for the space,

This post was edited by pps7 on Wed, Dec 31, 14 at 21:44

• amykath
    9 years ago

Here is a lovely iron bed. My only thought is the footboard could get in the way if your parents are at all, taller. The bed comes in a ton of finishes as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Iron bed

• juddgirl2
    9 years ago

My 6'1 DH and I prefer a king bed when we stay in hotels. We have a queen in our small guest room but if you have room for a king that's what I would choose. Love your bed and the Mitchell Gold.

I'm trying to decide what type of bed to use in our guest room since we only have a bed frame right now. Iron beds are so beautiful but I really prefer that look with a footboard, which takes up space visually.

• sas95
    9 years ago

We have an iron bed with no footboard in our guest room and I love the look. Especially in a smaller room, the footboards are too massive for my taste. The OP's room is not small, but it will seem smaller with a king bed. Wesley Allen makes some nice iron beds and they come in a variety of finishes. Also check out Charles P. Rogers on the higher end.

• pps7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Went to Arhaus. The prices were the same as Mitchell Gold but I didn't like the microfiber fabric as much. I should go to Ethan Allen and see the stuff in person.

That Wesley Allen bed is very nice, but I agree, a king footboard would overwhelm the space. How about this RH one: I like that there is a frame. I'm not big on the bed skirt thing. Also that there is a more solid piece to the headboard, it seems like this would make it easier to sit up and prop a pillow. I'm not sure iron goes with the style of the room (The white desk and lamps). It seems to be calling for something a bit more glamorous rather than rustic?? DH says he likes it, but it soes look a little "hospital bed".

• pps7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wish they still made this one without the canopy. Anyone seem something like this.

• pps7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This Ethan Allen one is a contender. Another option is Horschow. Anyone purchase from Horschow? How was your experience?

This post was edited by pps7 on Thu, Jan 1, 15 at 14:04

• lascatx
    9 years ago

I haven't purchased from Horschow in some time, but the quality is good. Common ownership with Neiman Marcus, and sometimes you will find the same things at both.

• lascatx
    9 years ago

Anthropologie has a metal canopy bed --

Found another on Overstock but it was only available in twin or full.

• sas95
    9 years ago

How about something like this steel and brass one from Charles P. Rogers? You can get headboard only. It looks more elegant to me for the room than some of the iron ones you posted.

All of the Wesley Allen beds come with a headboard only option, too.

{{gwi:2141309}}

• pps7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Went to my local Neiman Marcus store and the home department was pretty much non existent. Did see the Jonathan Adler Channing desk that is 2K. I thought for that much money it would have a true lacquer finish that's indestructible, but the top was all scratched up. I guess sometimes more expensive is better quality but not always! I will stick to my $150 desk.

• lascatx
    9 years ago

Sas95, that is a pretty bed. :)

• amyktexas
    9 years ago

The upholstered beds look much more cozy than the metal beds. Also, with my lack of coordination, the metal beds just invite stubbed and broken toes.

• pps7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all. I think I'm leaning towards the mitchell gold or the Ethan Allen. I probably am going to go with Creamy white. It seems like everything these days is tufted with nailhead, but I'm going to skip the nailhead. Do you guys think this is a big mistake? I like nailhead but there is such a thing as too much of a good thing. Plus this gives me options in the future of using the bed with different metal finishes. I'll visit the Ethan Allen store next week and price it out to compare to the mitchell gold.

• User
    9 years ago

pps - I find metal headboards uncomfortable to sit up against, particularly spindle type, and agree with your DH about the look.

The current bed in the master bedroom is beautiful and nicely made up. If you don't mind sharing, can you tell me whether that is a duvet or a comforter (and source) and whether the box spring is covered? It all looks so serene...

• juddgirl2
    9 years ago

I like all of your upholstered choices shown. I think they will work nicely with your desk and do have an elegant feel, although I've always been partial to iron beds.

If you're still looking at iron beds I can recommend Charles P Rogers. Great customer service and my daybed is high quality with a beautiful hand painted finish, much like the antique iron bed I have in DD"s room. I had a Wesley Allen and have seen RH beds - all nice but they don't seem to be as heavy and sturdy as my Charles P Rogers bed.

Another iron bed company I'm interested in is Brass Beds of Virginia but I haven't seen those in person.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Haven't read all the answers, but I vote for a King. A Queen gives only 30 inches per person. That's only 2 inches more than a standard baby crib.

• busybee3
    9 years ago

I would vote for a king too!! I don't have an upholstered headboard, but think they would be much more comfortable than an iron one for sitting up in bed... we have a wood headboard and think it would be nice not to need several pillows to make it comfortable to sit up and read!

• pps7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Javachik, it's a duvet cover that I was lucky enough to find at home goods 4 years ago. The closest thing I've seen I sarah Italian block paisley duvet cover. A few inches of the box spring is visible above the bed rail- I need to put a sheet on it! When I pull the duvet up, you can no longer see the box spring so I forget about it.

I think I'm leaning towards the Ethan Allen one to break up the squareness of the space. Any opinions on the nailhead? Yeah or nay?

This post was edited by pps7 on Sat, Jan 3, 15 at 16:32

• User
    9 years ago

Thanks! It looks like the duvet cover reaches to the top of the frame, which helps make everything "trim". I think I need a lower profile box spring.

Yes to the Ethan Allen headboard (I like it better than the Mitchell+Gold). Nice counterpoint to the sleek desk!

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022