Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_mocha

Room too small for wainscotting??

lisa_mocha
12 years ago

I love the look of wainscotting and the detail it brings to a room...

Have been thinking about having it installed in our living room and up the staircase, but not sure if the room is too small and would just be too busy with it.

(would do a simple profile..ie shaker style)

What do you think? Go for it or leave it alone as not suitable for this room?

Thanks!

Comments (26)

• patty_cakes
    12 years ago

I think it depends on the style of wainscotting . What do you have in mind? ;o)

Here is a link that might be useful: wainscotting...

• teacats
    12 years ago

A vote to leave the very pretty room as it is now! :)

Perhaps wainscoting would add another visual "cut" to the room -- along with the current ceiling and corner .... which would make the room visually cluttered ... and appear to be "shorter"

JUST a thought!!! :)

• powermuffin
    12 years ago

I agree with teacats. The room doesn't need it and it might suffer from it. Pretty room!
    Diane

• IdaClaire
    12 years ago

I think your room is absolutely stunning just as it is, and doesn't need another thing. IMO, wainscoting would be visually cluttering.

• Oakley
    12 years ago

I wouldn't touch that room, it's perfect as is. I love the ambience it has at night. Wow.

• lisa_mocha
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Good points...I really 'forgot' about the awkward corner but sure notice it in the picture. I figured wainscotting could be too much for this room...just looking for a change, I guess!

I can focus on finding a new rug to replace the existing one (too small and a little ratty from the dog)
    How about seagrass or Jute? Or best to stick with a wool?
    Our sweet dog is no longer with us, so a little more flexibility in what we choose.

Will also soon need to replace or reupholster furniture as she had loved to rub against the edges and it's a little dingy too. (choc labs and light furniture not always practical!)

• natal
    12 years ago

Love that light on your side console! Where did you find it?

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

Same here, I think the room is beautiful and so comfy looking that wainscoting would be too "rigid" and take away from it.

• Valerie Noronha
    12 years ago

I also agree, no wainscotting, though think if you want to add more architectural detail, you could run a crown where the soffits meet the ceiling and perhaps it'd draw the eye up and make your ceilings look taller.

• polly929
    12 years ago

I agree with everyone else. Your room is perfect and sophisticated and I think wainscoting will not go with the style you have set in that room.

Beautiful room by the way.

• lisa_mocha
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks all for the feedback. A big no to wainscotting then!
    DH is happy,lol.

Natal, I bought the little 'glow lamp' at Urban Barn. Not sure if you are in Canada...here is the link:

http://www.urbanbarn.com/products/Accents/Lighting/bubbles-glow-lamp-tall/1737

It was inexpensive (I even got it on sale) and thought I could use through the holidays/winter months for a little glow...
    I actually just put it out yesterday and usually have a different arrangement on this table.

valinsv~I hadn't thought of adding a crown moulding in this room...thank you for that suggestion. We have it in a couple of other rooms in the house, but this room has the odd ceilings & just hadn't crossed my mind. I'm definitely going for higher ceilings in a new home should we move!

Another thing I'd though of was a zero clearance fireplace (flush with the wall and raised up from the floor) but it would have to go where the curved cabinet and shadow-box shell prints are and I'm not sure how that would look...

We have a fireplace in the kitchen (just to the back of this room) that is rarely used as tends to heat up too much.

• lisa_mocha
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Natal, sorry about that! I guess the link didn't work.

Trying again...

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.urbanbarn.com/products/Accents/Lighting/bubbles-glow-lamp-tall/1737

• caminnc
    12 years ago

IMO it would be a big mistake to put wainscoting in your room. You already have a lot going on. You don't need it. Very pretty room.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

Is the room innately too small for wainscot? No.

Would this room gain anything from it? NO. Your room is lovely as it is. It doesn't need any more architectural detail, not at all.

• andee_gw
    12 years ago

A new rug is definitely what (and all) you need to bring the bit of coziness you're looking for. May I ask what color you have on the walls?

• jakabedy
    12 years ago

You don't need it. You've got a lovely monochromatic thing going on in there. If you were to add wainscoting, it would call for a contrast in paint color above the trim, and that would detract from the look you already have going. I say leave it as-is.

• lisa_mocha
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks all for the confirmation..a resounding No to wainscotting. I understand that it's not so much the size as much as what's going on in the room.(DH says way too much 'stuff'. Some of the 'stuff' in behind the sofa has been relocated to the basment:)

Andee~ The paint color is Benjamin Moore Windswept.
    Here are a few more pics to show color with different/natural light:

• HIWTHI
    12 years ago

Because your room is formal and quite lovely I might add, you could add architectual detail with some picture frame type wainscoting around the room on the lower walls. That and ceiling molding would bring the room up to an even higher level of beauty.

• oceanna
    12 years ago

Lisa, this room is just stunning. I have been staring at it for the last 15 minutes. Beautiful!

• User
    12 years ago

Beautiful room. You mentioned replacing or reupholstering the furniture. I love the lines of what you have and would look into slip covers . The shape of your furniture really lends itself to that look, I think. I don't know how expensive your pieces were or what the quality is/age but new is almost always not as good as older now a days, at least here in the US. If your frames are heavy and good quality and you have a good upholsterer that is what I would do.

I love the lightness of your accessories and the lovely flowers add so much. You have a wonderful eye...any chance of seeing other rooms ?? c

• lisa_mocha
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone!

trailrunner-The furniture wasn't what I would consider to be very good, but still in good shape and the sofa is super comfortable. It's just a little soiled (oils) from our dog. I am seriously thinking of slipcovering, but I do realize it can be as costly as buying new by the time you buy fabric and pay for the labor. However, there are a lot of fabric options:)

If I have furniture recovered, I/d probably go with 1 fabric on both chairs and a different one on the sofa. (maybe a solid)

I`ll post some other room pics after the holidays...
    (hardwood going in our bedroom and my office...we were supposed to have it done this week but delayed as installer hurt his back & now doing in January)

Thanks again everyone for the kind comments and feedback:)

• loribee
    12 years ago

One of my most fave rooms... :)

• kgwlisa
    12 years ago

I don't think it is too small for wainscoting either but I would not do it at the typical bottom 1/3 height but rather at 2/3 height. Either beadboard or a very simple nicely proportioned flat panel, either with a picture ledge (and would also require rethinking your artwork) would look lovely in that room and very beachy.

• fripper
    12 years ago

First, I love the room as is. Second, I love the fabric on your furniture, at least in the pictures. Everything seems so comfy and pulled together. Your accessories and colors are so soft and beautifully suited to the style. Can't you just have the furniture professionally cleaned? If it doesn't have rips and tears (as some of mine does from the cat), I'd try having it cleaned and leave everything EXACTLY AS IS. Just my humble opinion.

• lisa_mocha
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks again everyone for the feedback & nice comments. Maybe I'm just really wanting wainscotting (in any room) in this house, but perhaps this room is not the one. (Master bedroom maybe:))

fripper-the sofa and chairs are still in very good shape...not worn at all in cushioning, no tears etc. It's really just a little soiled along the front edges where Mocha used to constantly walk by and rub. (we had a 'defective' Lab,lol...she hated the rain and to be wet and when we came in from a walk, she headed right into the sofa edges...until I'd chase her with a towel:))

Anyways...I guess I could certainly try professional cleaning. If it cleans up well, great and if not, time for reupholsering or new!

Thanks again:)!