Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunfeather

Built-Ins Around Fireplace???

sunfeather
14 years ago

I really hate it that my post is missing - I need help!

Two cabinetmakers out to look but they haven't come up with plans yet and don't think they are seeing what I'm seeing. The second pic is after we had moved the furniture around to what we think is the best arrangement.

">

">

">

One of the guys said TV is too small and we need to build for a a larger one for resale.

Apparently painted will be more expensive than stained wood - but I would like to do what will look the best.

Here are some pics I found. I'm not crazy about the panel over the FP. Our ceilings are 12 feet so I don't realy know where to stop the bookcases, etc.

">

">

Comments (25)

• 2ajsmama
    14 years ago

I'm partial to stained wood - think that if you built it of same species and stained to match your mantel it would relieve all the white. I also think the TV would look best mounted over the FP if possible. How large is it? I can't believe someone said it was too small, unless it's a lot smaller than the FP and he was thinking mount it there too.

As far as height, maybe same height as the window/door trim?

Here's a pic justgotabeme had provided - I think the style fits your mantel and furniture. Since you don't have windows there, I'd do a step-back bookcase, and instead of the mirror put your TV.

• sunfeather
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for posting. Because the fireplace is flush with the wall, I don't have the depth to work with - the cabinets will come out a lot further on the sides of the FP. Just's photo is beautiful but the cabinets aren't deep enough. We need room for books that are deeper than that (looks like it is about 9-10" deep.

We are not fans of TVs over the fireplace. I know it is popular right now but we would rather have artwork or a nice mirror there. It would also be too high to work ergonomically.

Don't think I want the panel over the fireplace and am wondering how something without that would look.
    Re the species of wood on the mantel, who knows. Hard to tell with the heavy stain on it.

• 2ajsmama
    14 years ago

Don't know how high the mantel is, a tilt mount might work. I was just thinking that the TV would look better there than where it is right now. Were you thinking of keeping it to the side (in bookcase), or do you have another spot to move it to?

You don't have to build the bookcases exactly like the picture. How deep is the hearth? Both your "inspiration" pics have the shelves deeper than the face of the fireplace, you could come out (IMO) as deep as the hearth, or somewhere in between. Depends on whether you want doors, and how big the books you plan on putting there are. A foot is a fairly deep bookshelf, most books aren't that deep except for coffee table books. How deep is that column by the speaker?

• sunfeather
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The columnn depth is 18" including the 4.5" space between the column and the wall. The hearth depth is 20". the height of the fireplace is 70 inches - 5 feet 8 inches!!! Taller than me! A long way to look up at a TV. They are supposed to be positioned so viewers are not tilting heads back. We would like the TV in the bookshelves if we ever get them built =:-o

I would want the depth of the shelves at least 10-11" but there is also the back of the bookcase and the trim to consider when figuring the depth. There was also talk of a false back for running wires.

The depth isn't what's hanging me up. I just need help with the design and determining if the cab should but up to the rocks or not. Should we remove the current mantel and add another, etc. We need a good photo to show the builder what we are seeking (once we decide what that is).
    Please keep up the comments - it is helping me think through things.

• 2ajsmama
    14 years ago

You should bring the edges right up to (or overlapping) the edge of the stone to make it look all built in and not an afterthought. What I really liked about the pic Becky posted (and I reposted above) is that the "shelf" is continuous (well, looks like it sticks out a little farther over the FP, but it's the same height all the way across). This really helps it look like one unit. Even if you do open shelves (stepped back?) above and glass or wood doors, or even open below, having the bottom deeper mimicking the hearth and having the mantel "shelf" be continuous (or at least have the "countertop" part of the stepped bookcases at the same height as the existing mantel) will really tie it all together. HTH.

• sunfeather
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The mantel is 70" off the floor - we can't have a counter top that height. I love the craftsman fireplace photo but it is too low for what's going on in my room.

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

rrs626, tell us everything that you want this built in to be.
    Here's a couple questions that might help...
    1. Possible widths on either side of fireplace?
    2. Since the fireplace is basically six feet would going half that be a fit height for you? (basically nine feet total)
    3. You mention changing current mantel, can it be lowered by being built to fit over and just above the stone?
    4. Do you want doors?
    5. If so, solid, glass or combo...sliders or hinged?
    6. Would you like a ledge to extend on either side of and at the same height as the mantel? (this could be used as a breaking point between lower solid doors and upper glassed doors or open shelves.

• lsst
    14 years ago

I am surprised you would be told staining is less expensive than painting.
    We used poplar as it is paint grade. Staining would be much more as you have to start with a more expensive stain grade wood.

• sunfeather
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Great questions!

1. Possible widths on either side of fireplace?
    4' on left
    6' on right
    15" between wall and window molding

2. Since the fireplace is basically six feet would going half that be a fit height for you? (basically nine feet total)
    9' tall on either side of FP? That seems good. Ceilings are 12'.

3. You mention changing current mantel, can it be lowered by being built to fit over and just above the stone?
    I think that could be done. I need to find the fireplace specs to see how close it could be to the heat.

4. Do you want doors?
    Not sure - we can have them or not. No strong feelings there.

5. If so, solid, glass or combo...sliders or hinged?
    Not sure - would need to be able to operating electronics so maybe glass. Hinged. Only a few doors across the bottom.

6. Would you like a ledge to extend on either side of and at the same height as the mantel? (this could be used as a breaking point between lower solid doors and upper glassed doors or open shelves.

I'm getting confused here with the questions about the mantel and a ledge going off of it. That would be too high. Even with the mantel removed the top of the stone is at 58". I'm so sorry, I just don't follow this. I just I'm really in need of help, LOL.

• sunfeather
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I was surprised about painted being more too. I'm going to check with more cab builders and see what they say. The wood in our kitchen is alderwood. I think the floors are Brazilian cherry and there are many oak finishes on furniture in the living area.

• 2ajsmama
    14 years ago

You *could* put the top of the bookcases at the 70" height, but then that's cutting your wall in half and I'm afraid that would look funny.

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

Thanks for answering my questions. That helps with thinking this through. As I was reading them and from what I'd already read from your posts I came to the conclusion that you may not need to hire a carpenter to build custom cabinets for you. You could head to Home Depot and use their kitchen designers. Kraftmaid, and I'm sure the other cabinet makers they work with, have more than just kitchen cabinets. To give you some ideas of what they have in what sizes you can check out Kraftmaid's spec site. You'll have to sign up giving them your email addy and make up a password. It's well worth it. I've been using it to design a friends kitchen remodel.

Here is a link that might be useful: KraftMaid Specs

• jakabedy
    14 years ago

You need to consider theoutside ends of any bookcase, too. On the left there is a very small wall and a column, and on the right there is a very small wall abutting the window. So if you plan the bookcases to cover the entire wall, you'll be dealing with fairly shallow cases, or cases that slant back or step back to meet the walls. You also have to factor in the surround speakers.

I like the TV where it is rather than over the mantel, but then your surround sound is off -- will you (or your DH) have a fit about that?

• sunfeather
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, if no bookshelves, what is your suggestion?

• trancegemini_wa
    14 years ago

I think you need to start by working out what will be stored there. IMO there's no point building a nice large built in that doesnt function properly.

A few things I'd be asking myself:

Do you have tv components that need a deeper shelf than the 10"? things like a dvd player etc? I'd measure out your components and check the depth. How deep is that section of wall next to the window on the right? you might consider bringing it across from the front of the pillar if the wall on the right is deep enough or bring it across from that section of wall if that gives you enough depth. Otherwise you will have to do something differently on the window side to set it back from the window.

Then I'd consider the tv, what height is comfortable to watch it from? that would be a good level to end the deeper storage at the bottom and step back to some bookshelves, your 10 or 11" depth. The next thing I would think about is how tall do you want it to be? I think 12ft is too tall to be practical and 6ft would look a bit odd so you might decide on somewhere that leaves enough space above the fp for a mirror or artwork with the shelving alongside. I would also get rid of the mantel and have something built as part of the shelving and I know you dont like the panel in the pic but I do think it makes that artwork area look more incorporated into the unit.

These would just be my starting points and some of them only you can decide because you know better what you will use it for.

• sunfeather
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the great points. I had planned on a deeper storage area on the bottom for electronics which are 13" and 15". The depth to the window molding is 15" so I would have to do a step-out to get the depth for the components. Don't know how that would look - because, obviously, LOL, I'm no designer. I hope I find one :-)

The tip about the height is great - helps a lot. Panel isn't out of the question, especially if it looks better that way. Incorporating a new mantel isn't out of the question either.

The ceiling is 12' so I wouldn't want it that tall.

I'm just about ready to forget about it and just get something smaller for the TV, build bookshelves on another wall and move on to something else.

• trancegemini_wa
    14 years ago

I think built ins would look great there because it's such a tall wall and your fp looks a bit lost. The fp is also quite bottom heavy and I think it will make your hearth blend in better. another option could be doing 4' on the left and the right at full depth and step it back the last 2' so there's a bit of symmetry on each side with the main areas of the unit.

• sunfeather
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I know, just frustrated. Like your suggestions, Trance. How would it look as you described with just bookshelves on the left without cabinets?

• trancegemini_wa
    14 years ago

I would try to keep some symmetry on the left and right and I think the stepped back area on the right would look good as a straight up bookshelf or display cabinet so it looks like it's meant to be a different section instead of a work around. Having some spare deep storage is really handy too so I would try and keep it.

• sunfeather
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, Trance, you're right again! We really need storage in this house. I just watched a Candice Olson show where she put in something similar. It really helps to SEE something.

• trancegemini_wa
    14 years ago

oh that's great rrs and glad I could help. It sounds like you have a clearer idea of what you want now and that will really help when talking to the cabinetmakers.

• sunfeather
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have a clue but still need to figure out details. I will see what the cabinet people come up with and get be online and see what you think.

Thanks to everyone!!!

• jakabedy
    14 years ago

Candace Olsen is great for built-ins. Those Canadians sure want a lot of storage -- and usually in the basement! What if you had shelving for the AV components and whatevers on the right side and then sort of plain wainscoting matching it on the left side. You could then have a storage bench build to match to put in front of the wainscoting. That way you wouldn't have to worry about working with the column, and you'd have extra, movable seating.

• sunfeather
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Good thought, jakabedy, but I need bookshelves. We have tons of books and want to keep them.

• suero
    14 years ago

You could build up to the ceiling and have a library ladder to reach the upper shelves. There's no reason why you couldn't either leave an opening in the unit for the in-the wall speakers or mount the speakers on the appropriate shelves. Your best bet, as was suggested, is to look at kitchen cabinet places. Most cabinet manufacturers have a line of cabinets sized for entertainment centers, as well as kitchen and bathrooms.