Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maggiepie11_gw

My SECOND reupholstery project - le sofette!

maggiepie11
10 years ago

I posted about a month ago about my first upholstery project - a super bright yellow wingback chair for my son's room. it took me a month, but here's my second project! (in all fairness, there were a couple holidays with 2 kids mixed in, a full time job, and we're building a home, so all in all i think 1 month isn't too bad) haha

an antique settee that i'm putting in our peacock themed office.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

up close:

with this project, i had to build on my EXTREMELY basic upholstery skills. i had some frame reinforcement to do, some springs needed retying, and i button tufted what was not previously tufted on the sofa back. Thank goodness for YouTube!! i'm so pleased with it, but ready to put the staple gun away for a while and switch back to my paint projects. :)

Merry Christmas everyone!

Comments (19)

• JennaVaNowSC
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Beautiful!

• loribee
    10 years ago

Wow...just lovely!!

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

Sofa back too?! My reupholstery skills are limited to a staple gun and fabric. I'm curious about how you did the tufted buttons and cording. It looks great, will look forward to seeing more of the peacock office.

• bbstx
    10 years ago

IMPRESSIVE!!!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Nice!!!

• Laurie
    10 years ago

That is amazing! With all that you have going on, one month is fast. You even retied some springs and did tufting!
    I have never attempted tufting.
    Well done!

• romy718
    10 years ago

How talented you are. It turned out beautifully!

• countryatheart
    10 years ago

It looks awesome. You are very talented.

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

Like, like, like!!!

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

Great job! I can't imagine how much you get done in months with no holidays in them.

• maggiepie11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks everyone!

marti8a... i wish i could just slow down and relax, but it's like a sickness. i can't stop myself from taking on these projects! lol

no joke, i've got the armoire prepped and ready to go tomorrow. :)

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

Great job!
    Before you put away your staple gun and return your thoughts to paint would you be willing to share your sources for the "guts" of the projects and also share which you-tube videos you found especially helpful?
    And technical question, did you sew your piping before stapling it in? Did you use bias or straight? You've really given me motivation and courage to tackle some of this myself.
    TIA

• maggiepie11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here are the tutorials I found especially helpful for THIS project relating to tufting and springs:

Upholstery How To Tuft A Headboard
    - although the project is a headboard, the tutorial reminded me to allow extra fabric for the depth of the button hole!

Krrb Presents A How-to on Adding Buttons to Upholstery with Tufting
    although i didn't follow her technique for tufting ( i wanted a much deeper looking tuft so i cut holes in my foam for the button to sit all the way inside more like kimsupholstery video ) but it was the first tutorial i found in all my searching showing how to tuft when you don't have a wooden frame to hold the button. she used muslin here, but i used a cotton ball. the back of my sofa had only burlap, so i doubled up on the cotton ball. :)

Upholstery How To Tie Springs
    - this is another tutorial from kimsupholstery... i just needed to repair a couple springs, but this non-verbal tutorial shows all the steps on how the springs and support are constructed and i found it really helpful.

i don't have a button press (Yet), so i cut circles and literally did a loose stitch around the outside, put the button in the middle and pulled the thread tight to cover my own buttons. i've never had any luck with the little button snap cover kits from fabric stores - maybe with really thin fabric, but who's upholstering with really thin fabric?!

as for your questions...

the ONLY sewing i had to do was the trim. it's actually double welt, not single piping. i made a giant continuous bias strip (for those of you who need bias strips and haven't tried the continuous method, i strongly urge you to give it a shot!!) and then used a double welt foot to sew the trim. but then the trim is just standalone and all the excess gets cut off. it looks like this (i didn't photograph the double welt from this project - this is from my first chair):

on this particular piece, the fabric was stapled all around the edges in a little notch along the decoratively carved wood. then the trim was just glued on top of it to cover the staples. i did the same, though i used high temp hot glue. you can find a non-video tutorial on making double welt here:
    How To Make Double Welt Cord

and here's a video tutorial on making the continuous bias strip. she used a very small piece of fabric but you'll get the idea. i needed 15 yards, so i used 3/4 yard of fabric and mine was 60" wide!!
    Continuous Bias Binding - 200" of binding from 1/2 yard of fabric!

i thought about getting fancy and stapling the trim on (instead of cutting off the excess) and then using curve ease to attach all the fabric but i'm glad i stuck with how it was previously done. it was challenging enough just stapling it along all the curves. :)

Seriously, if you don't have a compressor and pneumatic stapler, I wouldn't attempt something of this size. Even a chair with upholstered arms would be too much in my opinion. It could be that I just like my projects to move faster than molasses, and I want to retain the use of my fingers and arms. :) Try a smaller piece first, preferably one you aren't in love with or an inexpensive piece from goodwill.

it's SO rewarding when it's done. the quote I got from our local upholstery shop was $650 not including the fabric. and i'm trying to upcycle a LOT of the furniture in our new home currently under construction. so i'm saving a ton of money doing it myself. that said, it wouldn't be worth the savings if i didn't enjoy doing it because it really is a huge time commitment.

i hope you take the plunge and enjoy the process and the outcome! good luck. :) i'm not a pro at all - there are folks on the board who know a lot more than i do, but i'm happy to answer questions if i'm able to!

• theclose
    10 years ago

Wow! Absolutely beautiful! You have great talent and a good eye.

• Boopadaboo
    10 years ago

Gorgeous! I cant' believe you did it yourself. You must be so happy! :)

• Tmnca
    10 years ago

Wow, what a wonderful transformation and a pro job!

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

Thanks so much Maggiepie for such a detailed answer.
    I'm saving it to my edit notes so that I can reference this again.
    Maybe a pneumatic staple gun will be on my birthday list!

I can't start yet because I've literally got nowhere to work. Have to complete our new-build so that I'll have space, but I've got my eye out for a goodwill piece to start with. Found the perfect channel back ladies small wing chair in a shop around here for $75 but I didn't buy it right then, and now it's gone.

• ttodd
    10 years ago

What an awesome job! I will be hanging on to this thread for future reference, Thanks for posting!

• kellienoelle
    10 years ago

Love it! You did a great job. I love the color that you selected. I was wondering about the peacock office, remembering ideas thrown out a month or so ago. Can't wait to see it come together! If this is any indication it will be gorgeous!