Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kellienoelle

Sofa nailhead options (devil is in the details)

kellienoelle
10 years ago

I am buying a leather sofa and loveseat, the BY Wyekham, not in this exact leather but in one that is very similar. The legs that we are getting will be slightly darker than those shown here.

Now is the time to make the final decisions. The included nail heads are in natural, which I think will be a nice accent to the color of the leather.
{{!gwi}}
So, my question is regarding the size of the nailheads, as pictured (and standard) it has two different sizes, the smaller around the arms, and larger on the top and bottom. They can swap them out for a smaller nailhead all around for an additional charge. I am thinking that I will like this better as I feel that it provides a slightly more contemporary look. Here is another BY sofa with the smaller nailheads
{{!gwi}}

Which do you prefer?

Comments (15)

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

I think the smaller are more classic and will fit in with more changes in décor over time.

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That was what I was thinking. It is an upcharge of $79 per item, which seems worth it to me. My husband, on the other hand, thinks I am insane for agonizing over details that he just wouldn't think about. His exact words "are we ever going to order anything".

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    10 years ago

Too many choices!! No wonder life is so hard :)). I like it both ways; you can't go wrong either way.

• allison0704
    10 years ago

Smaller is definitely more modern to me. The larger more gives off a more rustic vibe.

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

I'm the dissenting voice. There are 4 sizes shown let's call the largest #4 working down in size to #1. On the sofa you are getting, what is the large size shown on the bottom and around the top? Is that #4? If so, I would like to see them smaller but I don't think having all #1 will look right - it gets too busy and just looks like it was easier for the mfg to use all the same thing regardless of size - which I understand is exactly the opposite of the reality based on the upcharge. Is what you're after a modern look, meaning of the moment? Or are you after something that will look timeless and in 10 years not be pegged as 2000 teens? BTW, its a beautiful sofa - I really like the lines.

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think the look that I prefer isn't so much "of the moment" but as a less rustic option (as allison mentioned). A leather sofa is being purchased as a practical option, but I want to steer it away from looking hunting loge-ish, library-ish, man cave-ish, etc. Not that there is anything wrong with those things, but I just wanted a look that was a bit lighter. Hopefully that makes a bit of sense!

Regarding the sizes - I will have to ask what sizes are the ones pictured in both locations. I was thinking that perhaps #2 would be the best choice. If it is #1 on the arms, would having #2 around the top and bottom look OK, or would it be one of those situations of not enough contrast? Or I could leave them off everywhere but the arms, but don't think that would look as polished.

• vinilismo
    10 years ago

I think lather sofa is seems to be great choice.might be possible that one can't get choices in colors but it is quality and reliable thing.

• peaches12345
    10 years ago

We have had our new Hancock and Moore leather sofa for 6 months and I just went to check the size of our nailheads. I love the way they look and they were the H&M standard nailhead sizes on their sofas. The nailheads on the top and bottom are 1/2" (your #2?) and the arm nailheads are 1/4" (your #1?) according to my measuring. Not sure of the sizes of the 4 choices you posted, but just measuring them on my computer screen, which may not be true to the actual size of course, that would be the 2 smallest of your choices (what you have #'d 1 and 2). My 1/2" nails are plenty big and I definitely wouldn't want them any larger.

Do you know or can you find out the size of each of your 4 choices? I wouldn't want any larger than 1/2" and on my sofa I like having the 2 sizes. Both ways will look good, so don't obsess over it. (:

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

Go for the smaller ones. Love the couch.

I had a chair and ottoman recovered for my bedroom and was very disappointed in how it came out. Just figured out what is wrong. The nail heads are too big.

• massagerocks
    10 years ago

Kelli,
    Ive been following your posts, and I love your progression and how everything is coming together. Your patience and attention to detail will pay off and your room is going to look stunning. My new Sherrill sofa had 2 size nailheads, but to me all one size looks more modern (?). There was a BY leather sofa in a beautiful navy blue in the showroom. It had straight lines and small silver nailheads, all the same size. The nailheads looked great with on that style sofa too. I absolutely love your sofa!
    my nailheads for an idea what different sizes look like:

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I prefer smaller all over, too. And tell your DH that these tiny details are things people don't necessarily notice or express opinions on, but that when the design industry changes it up in a few years, suddenly even lay people will know that it is dated. These subtle things can really do you in. You think you are buying a very classic piece, but there is always some flourish they change up on you.

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The salesperson believes that it is shown with the smallest on the arms and the second smallest on the top and bottom. That doesn't seem quite right to be based on the pic. There appears to be more contrast between the sizes. So, that would be similar to your sofa Patty. Would you mind a pic?

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, you guys were fast in posting while I was typing up my response and poring into the research about how to find the actual sizes. I am thinking more and more that the smaller all over is the way to go.

• Janice742
    10 years ago

I like the smaller one all over as well!

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I have two different nail heads on our sofa not only size wise but the larger ones have buffaloes on them. I LOVE how it looks but I think the same size would be beautiful on your sofa. I got an email from H & M on Wednesday about their Black Friday sale and the nailhead on the sofa they showed was small and it ended in a swirl around the arm. It was done in a gorgeous magenta leather. It was just stunning.

Paying attention to all the small details and nuances will definitely pay off. Your living room is going to be gorgeous and you will be glad you took your time and agonized over the details.