Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tammy518

Looking for a Pretty Computer Chair...

tammy518
12 years ago

...if there is such a thing! LOL. I am in the process of trying to buy a condo, and when I move, I won't have a separate office like where I live now, so my desk will be in my bedroom. I have an off-white Ethan Allen sleigh bed and two EA nightstands in a light finish. I found and ordered a desk online that I think will go well with that, but I hate the thoughts of having this ugly, black, faux leather computer chair in there. Some Websites list computer chairs that are basically dining chairs or occasional chairs. I'm not sure how comfy that would be, though, and then getting up and out of it wouldn't be as easy as a traditional swiveling office chair. I work from home, so this will be a chair I'll be in for hours each day. I've tried Googling, but can't seem to find anything that will mesh with the French Country look of all the other stuff in the room. The only partly viable one I came up with is on Pottery Barn Teen, but it looks like it would be a pure white and I don't know how well it would go with the glazed/off white desk.

Have any of you ever just used a dining chair and found that to work well? Here's the desk I ordered:

Comments (33)

• natal
    12 years ago

I use my MacBook at the dining room table. For about a year I sat in one of the table chairs, but found myself slouching on a regular basis. Now I use a balance ball. Not a decorator look, but if you spend a good amount of time on a computer function should trump form.

• tammy518
    Original Author
    12 years ago

natal, I couldn't work at a table because I'm typing all day long and have to have the keyboard down at the proper level. Yeah, I could see where the dining room chair might cause slouching.

• Sueb20
    12 years ago

I use a Parsons chair (slipcovered from PB) at my computer desk; same at our "family" computer desk. I find it very comfortable, but I'm not sitting there for 8+ hours a day.

The only other thing I can think of is to get a standard office chair and make some kind of slipcover for it? Must be someone who's done this! Google the idea, maybe?

• tammy518
    Original Author
    12 years ago

sueb20, hmmm, a slipcover is something I hadn't considered. Lord knows I couldn't sew it, though. :)

• tammy518
    Original Author
    12 years ago

sueb20, after you mentioned slipcovers, I Googled them and there is such a thing!

lolauren, I'll look further into the chairs at PB.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

I have the same problem. I don't know why nobody makes a pretty practical office chair. If they're attractive they're usually armless. Ballard has a couple of slightly less hideous chairs, like the Patton:

which are available in a parchment colored frame, but I too am still looking for a chair which is both attractive and suitable for sitting in 12 hours a day. :(

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

Oh, I forgot the Kingston, which looks like the frame might match your desk fairly closely, although I wonder if the leather seat is slippery:

• tammy518
    Original Author
    12 years ago

writersblock, the Ballard ones you posted aren't bad. I'm with you on the leather, though.

• natal
    12 years ago

Dh has a leather office chair and it's super comfortable.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

Oh, I don't think all leather chairs are slippery. I just wonder about that one given how high the seat looks and how fast the front drops off. It looks like it could be one of those where you need to keep pressure on one foot all the time to keep from sliding off the front.

• lisa_mocha
    12 years ago

I love the desk!

I have a standard office chair that I had re-upholstered. I wanted something bright & cheerful as my office is all white. It won't be everyone's taste... my mom thinks it's ugly,lol. It's still comfortable for sitting all day working.

This way, you can choose any fabric depending on decor in your office and still have the comfort of a 'proper office chair.

• tammy518
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lisa_Mocha, I hadn't even thought of something like that. I think it's cool! I smiled as soon as I saw it.

• joanie_b
    12 years ago

If you find a comfy dining chair that you really like, you could add casters to it which would make it easier to move around.

Here is a link that might be useful: A lot of different casters at Van Dykes Restorers

• yayagal
    12 years ago

Go to HomeDecorators.com and look at the Martha Stewart side chair that is upholstered. Very attractive and free shipping and it's on sale.

• tammy518
    Original Author
    12 years ago

joanieb, that's true that I could possibly put casters on a regular chair.

yayagal, I'm off to HomeDecorators now.

• work_in_progress_08
    12 years ago

lisa_mocha - but for your post with the very cool office chair, I really thought a pretty computer chair was an oxymoron, as I've never found one I thought was pretty. Yours is very personalized and I love it. It reminds me of those things that are sold to cover things like phones, laptops, etc. Perhaps you could market "sleeves" that would fit the standard ugly office chair. Yours is by far the most interesting I've ever seen.

natal - the ball is a great idea depending how much time you spend in your office at your computer.

Years ago, my FIL used some unusual stools at his lowered kitchen counter. Believe me, they were more than a bit different over 30 yrs ago, and totally geared toward one's posture while sitting at the kitchen counter. Not a standard in any other I'd seen back then. I did a google search and sure enough they came up - on Amazon, where else? They are by yogachair and are being marketed as "the perfect computer chairs" Not positive these are the same as those my FIL owed long ago, but it is the same premise. The seats FIL owned were made to be ergonomically correct at a lower counter in the kitchen and used for eating. Felt a bit weird the first time I sat in them, but they really were much more spine friendly. His chairs weren't computer chairs per se, as back at that time we didn't regularly have internet and computers in our homes (at least not in this family).

So while these aren't as pretty as one that may be covered in a lovely fabric, if they work in the same manner as the counter stools, your back will say thank you at the end of the day. I don't work for Amazon or Yogachair.

Here is a link that might be useful: yogachair -

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

It's not just a question of back support. One problem with most dining chairs (and very possibly with the two chairs I linked earlier, too) is lack of arm support, which is very important if you're going to be typing in the chair for hours at a time.

If a dining chair has arms they're usually designed so you won't be resting your elbows on them. That is one big advantage to lisa_mocha's idea--you could do that to a proper computer chair with adjustable arm rests.

• bestyears
    12 years ago

Well of course this post just gave me an excuse to peruse Etsy....

Here's a woman who makes slipcovers for office chairs. I understand your need for arms on the chair. On my office chair, the arms unscrew, so you could easily remove the arms, install the slipcover, and then replace the slipcover. The ones she show have a short skirt on them. If it were mine, I think I might have the skirt end just above the casters. You don't want it to interfere with the wheels, but it would hide the legs...

Here is a link that might be useful: Etsy Office Chair Slipcovers

• tammy518
    Original Author
    12 years ago

bestyears, thanks for posting that link. It looks like that's the only one she's got, but I'm one could ordered.

writersblock, I'm considering the Patton chair you posted above. When I was looking through the different fabrics, I noticed they have one that has bees on it. I love bees! Of course that fabric could be used on any of Ballard's office chairs, I think. Also, you say you like office chairs with arms, but I'm the opposite. It's funny that what works for one person doesn't work for another.

Years ago, I tried a chair with arms, but (for me anyway) they just got in the way because I type with my hands down low, about at waist level. So I'm kind of worried about the Ballard's Patton chair since it does have arms. Ballard's has a Parson's chair looking one that I like the look of, but the reviews said the seat wasn't padded enough. Whereas, reviews for the Patton chair were good as far as comfort goes. I have a really bad back, and usually even in a padded office chair I have to use a pillow behind me, which is kind of a pain since it flops down out of place every time I get up. That Patton chair having a fully enclosed back would take care of that problem.

Has anyone ever seen Ballard's parchment finish in person? On my computer it's kind of got that "pickled" look that was popular years ago with kitchen cabinets. I'm not sure I would like that, especially with the other elements in the room.

Does anyone know of any promo codes for Ballard's other than their free shipping they're doing for purchases over $50?

• tammy518
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here's a link to the other Ballard's chair I'm considering. It actually has a slipcover on it instead of upholtery, which could be a good thing down the road for cleaning. It's the one that people commented on the seat not being padded enough, though.

http://www.ballarddesigns.com/covington-desk-chair/chairs/desk-chairs/10401

I also found this one from Horchow, but it's pricey, as is to be expected with Horchow. A lot of times they have 25-30% off furniture, though, so it wouldn't be a bad price if it was on sale.

http://www.horchow.com/store/catalog/prod.jhtml?itemId=cprod82070001&parentId=cat3270731&masterId=cat000005&index=2&cmCat=cat000000cat000001cat14540731cat000005cat3270731&isEditorial=false

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

I type with my hands down low, about at waist level

Yes, so do I, but when I type as much as 18 hours a day (which I do in book season when I'm on deadline), I find it really helps to have support for my arms so I don't rest the heel of my hand on the keyboard tray.

But as you say, different strokes. I actually counted the Patton chair out for me because I think the arms look too low to be functional, but again that depends on so many factors--how tall you are, how you sit, how long your arms are from shoulder to elbow, etc.

Yeah, I wish they had a better image of the parchment, too. It's very fake looking when it applies to the frame in their images.

If you get one of their chairs, please post back and let us know how you like it. (I love bees, too.)

• bestyears
    12 years ago

Yes, she can make any color you want. I'm sure you could select the fabric and/or send it to her as well.

• tammy518
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This is listed as an office chair on HomeDecorators.com. I like it because of the French script on the back. I wonder if it would be conducive to adding casters to.

I'm not able to post a pic of the Horchow chair I mentioned above. I'm becoming more drawn to it because of its taller, sleeker shape. I don't know. It just seems like it wouldn't overwhelm a room (especially one in which you don't want it to look like an office). Does anyone know what general type/shape chair that is? I keep thinking that style has a name to it, and that I could possible Google and find one cheaper than $900. Here's the link again: http://www.horchow.com/store/catalog/prod.jhtml?itemId=cprod82070001&parentId=cat3270731&masterId=cat000005&index=2&cmCat=cat000000cat000001cat14540731cat000005cat3270731&isEditorial=false

Here is a link that might be useful: French Script Chair

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

I like the lines of the Horchow chair, too, but while the HD chair is cute, I don't think it looks like it would hold up well for constant use, maybe more for someone who gets on the computer for an hour or so in the evening.

Sorry, I don't know the right term for the style of the Horchow one. I've seen those called empire (which it isn't--maybe empire-inspired), transitional, modern, etc..

• kayec28
    12 years ago

Here's an armless chair to take a look at, if it's not too modern looking for your taste. The simple lines would let your desk be the focal point. They only picture it in orange but it does come in a variety of colors, including white.

If you like the chair writersblock showed you above, that style is called a banker's chair. Google "banker's chair" and you will find a wide variety of new and vintage, some upholstered, some not.

One thing to consider that may not be an issue for is that office chairs with arms will not always fit under the desk when not in use. If you're in your chair a lot of the time this may not be an issue for you, especially if the chair jutting out doesn't interfere with traffic flow. Just something to be aware of.

Here is a link that might be useful: Patara

• lisa_mocha
    12 years ago

tammy~I'm really liking the french script chair! (I don't know how it would be with castors or the confort level for sitting all day)
    Like you, I struggled to find an office chair that I liked. The one I have provided very good support and was a good quality chair which is why I went the upholstering route. FYI, I don't tend to use the arms of the chair either.

Love the chair bluemoon posted too, but perhaps a little modern for the EA desk unless you want the more ecletic look:)

• emagineer
    12 years ago

I love the chair from HD. Have looked at it too. HD has always shipped what is seen too.

For your amount of use though, I really feel you should head to stores and try chairs out. Height is really important both for you personally and to fit at the desk. Comfort for those long hours.

I wouldn't add castors to 4 legs. There is the unknown as to how they are made/support regardless of price. Plus you wouldn't have the option for changing height.

Always loved VanDykes. I perused for far too long with the link. They do have office chair bases available in 3 different configurations. Might be an option, but adds to cost. Could easily be added to the HD chair and you would have both worlds.

If looking for wood, a bankers office chair is the closest to something with style.

• emagineer
    12 years ago

Here is a chair with castors at Lands End, a number of fabric options. On sale plus 40% off and free shipping. Go to the main page for sale code.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chair

• ellaf
    12 years ago

You might want to look for a "real" office chair in white. Haworth makes one, the link is below, and some Knoll chairs have white mesh and fabric options. Not cheap though.

p.s. please do not put castors on a four legged chair, it seems very dangerous.

Here is a link that might be useful: Haworth white office chair

• tammy518
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Bluemoon, thanks for posting. I don't mind a bit of eclectic thrown in, but that chair is too modern for the rest of my stuff. I'm glad you mentioned the ability to push the chair up under the desk. I hadn't thought of that, but it is important in my case.

I hadn't been able to copy of picture of the Horchow one until just now. I did some further digging and it's made by Hooker. I like the looks of it, and it looks like it could push up under the desk easily. Does anybody else think it looks like it might sway back a bit much? This is the one I'm trying to figure out the type of, not the banker's chair. Here's a pic of the Hooker one:

• peegee
    12 years ago

i've been looking for a replacement office desk chair since having to get rid of my vintage oak office chair - it was soooooo comfortable but repairs would have been super costly...I liked the Kingston from Ballard that Writersblock posted, but not thrilled that it comes from China. And why can't they post a picture of the back???

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

tammy518, I just saw this one:

at Stein Mart and had a chance to sit on it. It's not as squishy as it looks, which is good, but it's one of those chairs that very gradually keeps compressing while you sit.