Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aloha2009

Loving My Newly Organized Closet

aloha2009
10 years ago

Since we regularly toss/donate clothing items, this go around was making things look neater.

With shoe laces dangling down and clothes not neatly hanging, the closet felt "messy".

After a few iterations and less then 1 hour of our time we now are on our way to a super organized closet.

We removed the 2 rows of shoe racks and placed 3 xerox sized storage boxes (my go to box for size and love it being all white) underneath all the pants.

I moved my shoes to the shelf just below my DH's shirts. They are hidden enough to be invisible at a quick glance, but seen enough to distinguish which pair I'm looking for.

The area above the shoe racks was our messy, oddball items, shorts, capris, etc on 4 & 6 pack hangers area. We moved them to the less visible side of the closet and replaced the rod with neatly hanging pants.

Above this area was my DH's shoes that we moved to just above the shorts/capri, dresses area where they would be less noticeable.

We will go from 4 xerox box to 14 to put everything into "nice" bins. Most of our clothes were already in the closet and now everything will be in the closet. I need to acquire more boxes from work but that will only be a few weeks.

Though we have room for a dressers in our bedroom I LOVE having everything in the closet. No more shuffling through pants & sweaters in a drawer trying to find the one I want. We even hang up junky tee shirts for painting etc.

I can't describe how liberating it has been. Most items are hung up except of course for undergarments & socks. No need to neatly fold away just toss in a box. Gone are the days, I get some things from the dresser, and have to go to the closet to find something to wear. Half the time it seemed, I'd have to change our the undergarmet as I ultimately decided on a white thin shirt and I'd have put on a black bra. No more back and forth.

Looks great and functions like a dream. Our closet isn't overly huge but it is bigger then some I've seen. If you can get ride of your dressers in your bedroom. I say go for it, you'll love it!

Comments (13)

• bpath
    10 years ago

And now I imagine you are opening your closet door several times a day and gazing in :) Enjoy!

• User
    10 years ago

sounds great--and I for one would LOVE to see a photo. (and I am pretty sure I am not the only one:)

• aloha2009
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bpathome, there actually isn't a door. I was thinking orignally we would add a door to mirror the toilet area door but now I'm having to reconsider. It seems so much more spacious and tidy that's it's nice to look at. Yes though to your comment. I just find myself walking in an gazing.

I thought my DH would think I'd totally lost it, when I asked him to take pics of our closet. I guess he realizes I'm a lost cause and said sure.

I've recently lost a lot of weight (55#) so I'm still working on increasing my pants but I have plenty of space to add more. I will have boxes above and below the pant area for various items ...

For once, I think I finally have more tops then my DH has (his is on top and mine are the lower). My shoes are neatly tucked between the two levels. I thought of switching our shirts around to give me more space for shoes but it looked to messy.

This last pic is the one side that is the least noticed. All these things were where the pants now hang. It visually was an eyesore. Now we hardly notice it.

I'm going to need to label the "bins" and get some more before they are recycled but for the most part, it's all done and looking good.

• williamsem
    10 years ago

Looks great!

I'm a little jealous, I'm currently in the messy stage of cleaning up a few areas. Definitely appreciate the tidy look!

• User
    10 years ago

WOW>..and 55 # !!! Whoa you are NOT increasing your pants LOL...you are definitely decreasing !! Your organizational skills are top notch ! c

• aloha2009
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for sharing my excitement. I think it's fun in life to find the joy in the small things in life, especially since we have much more of those.

Yes Trailrunner I guess technically you're correct :)

We went to IKEA last night looking for various things one being nice storage bins. I love the size (and price) of the xerox boxes but my DH does not. We couldn't find anything that would fit as nicely into the shelving (not shown) on the one wall. That alone was discouraging but also the pricing.

Does anyone else think IKEA is on the expensive side for what you get? The containers are typically cheaper at Big Lots, Walmart etc. and the stores are much closer. That said we did find some curtain rods that were about 1/4 of the price of HD. We needed an angle for our bedroom rods and we found IKEA's version would fit perfectly. Their were numerous end pieces (finnials?) to choose from.

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

Looks awesome. I'm jealous.

How did you lose the weight? Looks like tiny clothes :-)

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

The closet looks great (and congratulations on your weight loss). I have one question - why did you decide to devote so much "height" to hanging slacks, rather than using hangars where the pants fold over, like these?

Here is a link that might be useful:

• teacats
    10 years ago

Looks fantastic!!! Such a great result from all of your hard work!!:)

Very well done indeed! :)

• k9arlene
    10 years ago

I also just converted to the pant hangers that aloha uses. No matter what type of hanger I used to fold pants over, there was always a crease in them when I didn't wear them regularly.

• dedtired
    10 years ago

Wow, looking good. I am more impressed by the weight loss. Love those pants hangers. Where do you get them? I always use the kind with two pinchy things and hang them by the waist.

• tuesday_2008
    10 years ago

Aloha did you see these storage containers at IKEA? Not sure if the size will work for you but the price is good - $14.99 for a 3-pack.

My DD has them on the top shelf of her closet to store hats, scarves, purses, etc. She also has a good selection of the tiny ones in the nursery to organize newborn baby girl's clothes. They are awesome for that purpose. It is so cute to see those little leggings, onesies, sleepers, etc so neatly arranged.

Here is a link that might be useful: IKEA SKUBB boxes.

• aloha2009
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Red Lover (love your name). I changed jobs & schedules about 18 months ago allowing me what I consider a normal schedule. I was able to get into an good exercise routine (1 hour Mon-Fri) and cut down on so much eating. I vowed to lose it nice, slow and steady. If I had a treat, I'd have a bite or two. I lost the 1st 50# over about 10 months. Loving summer fruits, I decided to just maintain. I'm getting back into loosing my final 15#. I'm now working out during my breaks at work for 45 minutes over the day, and cutting down to around 1200 calories. I'm guessing the rest should be off sometime around summer 2014. I'm down to a size 4. Before I said I was a one size stretch all. I would never buy form fitting clothes, so I truly don't know how large I had gotten.

SJhockeyfan - for some reason I can't click on your link. I have problems at times though I didn't for Tuesday 2008. We've been using these kind of pant hangers for years when my DH had a ton of dress pants for work and I don't know why. I do know that though it takes up more vertical space, it takes up less horizontal space. I had placed a few pants to the side that were out of season, or weren't quite fitting and folded them over a hanger. I noticed them after I took these pics and replaced them. They seem to bunch up over a hanger and crowd other clothes. It works for us.

Dedtired the ones on the right are so old, I really can't remember where I got them, I guessing Wally World (Walmart). They no longer carry that particular style but now sell the ones on the left. I want to get some more pant hangers like those to match. I think in part our closet looks tidy because of the uniformity of hangers. We've got a few oddball hangers left but most match.

Tuesday_2008 - I didn't see those at the store. If we were to use that size, we'd have even more boxes yet (I don't know if I have 14 categories as it is), plus they are too small for the bins we have (not shown).

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022